DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-07-2012, 04:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
390hemi is on a distinguished road
Question Magnaflow 14" and ypipe please help!!!!!!z

Ok so I have a 2012 sport with the factory duals and I ordered a 14" magnaflow exhaust and a magnaflow ypipe. I went to a muffler shop today to get them installed and he told me not to bother with the ypipe it would be a waste of money that I might as well do true duals, its obvious the restriction of factory y compared to the magnaflow but he doesnt agree. Considering I already have the muffler and ypipe I dont want to go true duals and ive heard id lose backpresure therefore losing some low end power. He also mentioned deleting the resonators in the back which i was already debating about , I want a nice loud deep rumble but want to keep incab drone to a minimum. What do guys think ypipe and muffler, muffler only, resonators or no resonators,????? Thanks guys
Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Color: Flame Red
Rep:19
Bg Rd Ram is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat. The local shop here wants to use a magna flow tru-x muffler DI/DO making a true dual setup. I don't think its that popular on the forum. My main concern is yours: I want a deep tone but minimal in cab drone. I am really leaning towards the magna flow #16869, which replaces the factory with a 22" magna flow SI/DO and all of the piping after including new 5" tips which look really good. It also gets rid of the factory resonators but I think the new tips have them built in. Good luck, hopefully we can both get some help.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM

Yea these exhaust places know exhaust in general but id rather trust the forum where we actually drive and deal with our specific truck daily u know. Good luck and keep me posted on any progress. Now help us people

Btw 5"tips do look great ill eventually buy them separate
Old 04-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram RCSB 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:527
BlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of lightBlackRamHemi is a glorious beacon of light

I have (IMHO) the perfect balance of power/torque and sound across the entire RPM range,
a nice low rumble at idle that doesn't drone in the cab on the highway,
a Very healthy Hemi Growl at wide open throttle,
...no more resonators, finished off with the gorgeous 5" double walled polished stainless steel tips.

JBA Silver Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers.
Magnaflow Y pipe welded in with mandrel bent stainless steel elbows.
Magnaflow 16869 CatBack w/ 22" muffler (for 4G Hemi with bumper cut-out)

If I had to do it all over again I wouldnt change a thing

Keep in mind muffler shops lose money to those that DIY CatBack bolt-in systems.
They make their money on selling custom dual conversions

Murdered.. Lowered.. Alcohol Injected ..Blowered! 500WHP

Last edited by BlackRamHemi; 04-07-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Silver
2012RamBigHorn is on a distinguished road

I got my DOD14M which is basically just a Magnaflow 14" with the proper pipes already welded on to allow for a 30min install right at home the kit comes from Mufflex and I got mine on within the 30mins no problem and in all honesty I have a 2012 with factory duals and the resonators are still on and they are staying on it is plenty plenty loud the rumble is intense when accelerating and on the highway it's still got rumble but my kids in the back and my wife have no issues with it at all

BUT!!! one suggestion would be to get in the habit of doing the mds disable trick I do it every time I drive the truck and it's easy, all you do is as your leaving the driveway put it in manual mode with the +- put it in 5th and hold both the +- at the same time quickly and it will go into 6th and the 6 will stay on the screen the whole time

But it shifts through all gears problem free and everything works just the same however it won't go into ECO mode and in ECO mode you get drone like a SOB so that's the way to keep it from happening

Also for the records with my truck I was getting 16.3-16.7 AVG now keeping it OUT of ECO mode im getting 17.3-17.5 AVG and have seen it in the 20's from time to time
Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 PM

Awesome thanks for the tips pal, im going on monday to the shop im definately doing the ypipe, and muffler then if im not happy I could always go back and remove the resonators, thanks for your help I will keep u guys posted.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Replacing the y pipe will provide better flow and more power. Also, you will not lose low end torque, don't believe this when people tell you this. I explain why probably at least once a week on here....I need to just save the response so I can copy paste it. If you're really interested why I'll explain it but otherwise you can just believe me.

Removing the resonators has no real benefit. It may unleash a little noise, but won't effect performance and flow. I'd leave the resonators, they help cut drone and resonating.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:41 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:346
crusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the roughcrusher is a jewel in the rough

i have the mufflex 24" i a had my resonator removed just before ive put the muffler on

i dont have a big drone

when i deleted the resonator i did notice a difference in sound but it hard to says if i like it better or not
Old 04-07-2012, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Sport
Rep:47
GhostR1der is on a distinguished road

Just go to another shop. The reason they don't want to replace the stock Y pipe is that they have to custom bend and fit it too the truck. Go ahead and get it changed. I have the 14 magnaflow and the Y pipe and it's not too loud nice growl under throttle and quiet for the cruise. I left the resonators on have very little drone.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
The guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Replacing the y pipe will provide better flow and more power. Also, you will not lose low end torque, don't believe this when people tell you this. I explain why probably at least once a week on here....I need to just save the response so I can copy paste it. If you're really interested why I'll explain it but otherwise you can just believe me.

Removing the resonators has no real benefit. It may unleash a little noise, but won't effect performance and flow. I'd leave the resonators, they help cut drone and resonating.
Lol I just finished reading a lot of your responses on other threads I understand so I wont make you go through all that again lol but I think im going to find another shop, it sucks because thats the only one shop I found that has stainless,id hate to put cheap piping when the truck comes with stainless from factory correct me if I'm wrong. I haven't heard anyone else talk about what kind of piping they got welded on maybe they don't know or maybe im over doing it, let me know thanks