DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Accessories - Dodge Ram Parts - Dodge Ram Performance - Registered Vendors! > AutoAnything - Dodge Ram Accessories! - Dodge Ram Performance!

Notices

AutoAnything - Dodge Ram Accessories! - Dodge Ram Performance! Shop AutoAnything.com for thousands of top-brand automotive and truck performance parts and accessories. Free shipping, great prices, all backed by AutoAnything's 1-year lowest price guarantee! To order, call 1-888-591-8563, Click-to-Chat, or visit www.autoanything.com. - Dodge Ram Performance - Dodge Ram Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of
Default Clark...do you guys do brakes?

Gonna need pads soon (front and rear) and thinking I might upgrade to slotted and drilled rotors to assist in stopping the 7k lbs worth of boat I will be towing...

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/10A50530.aspx
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Maybe an Autoanything Ramforumz brake special. Seems like I've seen a couple people talking about brakes lately.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
GreatTiger is on a distinguished road

I know it's my turn to do my brakes i'm interested in EBC's brake parts. Reviews on them seem pretty good. I can't find any info on EBC's site as wear to get them in Canada though. You guys ship to Canada?
Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I actually had my EBCs showed to canada, so you should have no issues. As for the brake upgrade, stay away from drilled rotors, they have known cracking issues and they do NOT increase braking power, only upgraded pads, more pistons in the caliper, or larger rotor diameter will increase braking power.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
I actually had my EBCs showed to canada, so you should have no issues. As for the brake upgrade, stay away from drilled rotors, they have known cracking issues and they do NOT increase braking power, only upgraded pads, more pistons in the caliper, or larger rotor diameter will increase braking power.
Not true. Slotted/Drilled rotors from reputable companies (PowerStop, PowerSlot Brembo, StopTech, EBC, etc...) are usually ok. I can't speak for their use on trucks, but I know on my civic I had OEM replacements from PowerStop that were drilled and slotted, cost me $100 a piece and stopped that car so much faster than stock.

I am not looking for something to stop me faster, I am mainly looking for something that looks better, but performs at least as good as stock, maybe a little better. I don't tow the boat all the time, so I am really just after the looks department. The rotors I had on my civic were 2 years old when I traded it on my Ram, they had 50k on them, weren't warped, and not a crack that I could see.

So far, seems like the best deal:

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A3121093.aspx

But then I found them here cheaper.

http://www.discountbrakes.com/shop/?...ke,universal:0)

After I did the math though, with AA's free shipping, they come out on top by like $50. I am looking at doing just the fronts now, and the rear's when I get to that point.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
Not true. Slotted/Drilled rotors from reputable companies (PowerStop, PowerSlot Brembo, StopTech, EBC, etc...) are usually ok. I can't speak for their use on trucks, but I know on my civic I had OEM replacements from PowerStop that were drilled and slotted, cost me $100 a piece and stopped that car so much faster than stock.
Actually, it's the design of the drilled rotors that is the issue, not the manufacturer. A cross-drilled rotor was originally designed to channel the gasses from the pads away from the rotor surface to dissipate gas-induced brake fade. The modern pad materials do no off-gas like the old materials did, so having cross drilled rotors is useless, and they don't keep the rotor any cooler since there's less surface area to absorb/dissipate heat.

Also, anytime you have a surface interruption in a heat cycled material you have what is called a thermal ridge where the opening is trying to expand outward, while the material is trying to expand as well and the opening is where it will expand into first; you have two heat stressed surfaces trying to occupy and this thermal ridge is formed and it's the place where micro fissures will occur, and these propagate into cracks. Unless the rotors have been cryogenically treated and then heated to their eutectoid point where the alloy's crystal structure will begin to blend, increasing the substrate area and reducing the surface tension, then the rotors WILL eventually crack.

They did great on your civic because your not trying to stop 5,900lbs of steel like you are on a truck. I inspect my rotors 3 times a year for crack propagation, and so far so good, but I'm running dimpled/slotted rotors, not true cross-drilled ones which are more likely to crack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
I am not looking for something to stop me faster, I am mainly looking for something that looks better, but performs at least as good as stock, maybe a little better. I don't tow the boat all the time, so I am really just after the looks department. The rotors I had on my civic were 2 years old when I traded it on my Ram, they had 50k on them, weren't warped, and not a crack that I could see.
I can say that the rotors won't do anything for performance, but I do run the EBC sports rotors because of their looks as well. The G/S pads are still my favorite and they do make a difference over stock with great wear characteristics. I personally run the G/S 7000 Supremes on the front and the 6000 on the rears because the 7000 are a harder material and last longer.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:31
GreatTiger is on a distinguished road

Jey CdnOilRam, how much was shipping and duty?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I thought the only reason for cross drilling(or slotting, etc.) was to keep the rotors cool, through better heat dissipation to the air? One would think they'd technically provide less stopping power(due to less contact between the pad and rotor). If they are not actually better why do all the supercars have cross drilled rotors? My buell has drilled rotors as well.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Your Mod Superstore!

Vehicle: Full Garage!
Rep:165
AutoAnything has a spectacular aura aboutAutoAnything has a spectacular aura about

Please PM me for a quote and I am looking to see what kind of brake promo we can do on the Z!
We do ship to Canada too, thanks everyone.
Clark-

Click the ^banner^ and save up to 16% OFF Orders Above $150 on Dodge Ram mods.
We price match, simply call 888-591-8563 or
Click-Here-to-Chat and we'll beat ANY price by $1.

Click Here To See The Latest and Greatest Specials From AutoAnything!