DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star w/ 26L pkg
Color: Brilliant White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:65
MoparMike10 will become famous soon enough
Default Building Custom Pillars for Audio

I am toying around with the idea of modding/building some custom pillars to mount a tweeter and midrange for a new stereo project. I have seen tons of pictures online of other makes/models of cars but not very many from a truck like mine. The Rams that I have seen mainly had tweeters molded in. If anyone has done something like this for their truck or have any pics, I am trying to get some ideas and would really like to see them.

Here is a rough baffle that was made today to help me visualize the placement. I am expecting some trouble with being able to wrap the pillars with cloth at completion due to the non-removable "oh shit" handles so they might end up being painted. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Could you place the speakers so they sit directly in the middle of the "holy shit" handle. I know you'd lose the handle that way, but it would be easier to finish off I think??
Just my two cents, Haven't saw anyone attempt this yet with their ram, so my guess is just as good as yours ha
Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordin View Post
Could you place the speakers so they sit directly in the middle of the "holy shit" handle. I know you'd lose the handle that way, but it would be easier to finish off I think??
Just my two cents, Haven't saw anyone attempt this yet with their ram, so my guess is just as good as yours ha
That is a possibility, and I don't need the handles. I'd rather have a clean, finished look.

Audio - Pioneer AVH-P4400BH - PPI Phantom 900.4 and 1000.1 - Boston Pro 60s - Hybrid Audio Legatia L3s - 2x Image Dynamic IDQ10s
Mods - GroundForce 2/3 lowering kit - 24" Color-matched Wheels - K&N Intake - Katzkin Leather Interior
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Curious to see how it turns out, keep us posted man.

What all do you have done to her now, system wise?

Nice rims too btw, Wish I had those ha
Old 04-26-2012, 02:27 PM

The build is just getting started, so far a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH DVD head unit was installed with a mic for hands free calls located up in the headliner and a rear view camera was placed in the tailgate handle and wired in.

I have been taking my time and acquiring all the parts needed for the planned system. The goal is a three way front stage using Boston Pro 60s and a Pair of Hybrid Audio L3s and a pair of tens in a custom box that I will build for under the rear seats. A pair of Phantom amps, 900.4 and 1000.1, from PPI will power everything.

I am about to install the front speakers (in the stock locations at first) and 4 channel amp and then begin playing with how the pillars will work. Most of the builds I have come across have had great results with similar drivers in the stock locations. The pillars are just something I have always wanted to do in a car but never have.

Thanks for the compliment on the wheels. They attract attention for sure, but it sometimes it surprises me from where. Young people are one thing, but I have had a number of older, "non-car people" approach me with enthusiasm and want to talk about them. My favorite was a man is his 80s or 90s who was very interested, and told me about the hemi-powered dodge he had in his younger days and how he wished they had wheels like that back then.

Last edited by MoparMike10; 04-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:10
kellyfj10 is on a distinguished road

This is where I mounted my tweeter. I dont have the midrange with it but it was the best place I thought...
Old 05-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Im working on designing some A pillar pods too. Im going to put them into the hands, it seems like the easiest way to just get that nice flush look. Fiberglass over the stock holes, cut the speakers into em and suede wrap the pillar when done. I have yet to start any mock up or anything though

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Rep:10
WhiteGoat2011 is on a distinguished road

I have been looking at using the L3s in the dash too, did you have any issues with getting them installed. Right now I am planning on jut flushing the tweeter into the pillars but depending on imaging I will look into getting the mods up there too.

How are you planning on running the crossovers for the front stage, going fully active or using a passive style?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGoat2011 View Post
I have been looking at using the L3s in the dash too, did you have any issues with getting them installed. Right now I am planning on jut flushing the tweeter into the pillars but depending on imaging I will look into getting the mods up there too.

How are you planning on running the crossovers for the front stage, going fully active or using a passive style?
The L3s are great drivers! Once the stock grill and speaker were removed from the dash, I test fitted them to make sure there was enough room. They fit nicely, but a baffle was needed because the stock speakers are attached with only two screws. I traced the outline of the stock speakers onto a piece of 1/4" MDF and cut a notch for a small post that helps to locate the speaker in the mounting location. Once the MDF baffles/adapters were done, they dropped right in with plenty of clearance. The stock speaker grill needed to have the clip closest to the A-pillar removed so that it could be re-installed.

The L3s are run active from the front channels of a PPI Phantom 900.4. The bandpass crossovers are set on the LPF at ~300hz w/ the 10x frequency button applied to the 12db/octave filter. On the HPF, they play up to ~1-1.5khz @ 12db/octave. They blend nicely with the Boston's which are run passive on the rear channels, mid-bass in the doors and tweeters off-axis halfway up the pillars.

Some tuning is needed still, but with the EQ set flat, the sound stage is very bright and clear. The L3s really bring the vocals out over the dash and sound great with strings and horns. I may or may not build pillars at this point, they are not needed, but would sure look good.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:28
RedneckMechanic is on a distinguished road

I was going to suggest the same thing as SS4Luck. The handles should have enough room to house the speakers and wires without being obtrusive. The only downside I can see to that is the direction the sound would be traveling. And the proximity of your head to the speakers. Your treble might get a little over powering... Just my thoughts real quick. Would be interesting to see and hear what that would sound like though.