DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: RT
Color: Black
Rep:10
rtcanada is on a distinguished road
Default Could use some help from the engine savvy guys

Alright, I have a camshaft and pushrods sitting behind my seat and I'm dieing to install them. I've watched/read a million 3rd gen installs, and think I could do the cam relatively easily. I don't have much experience on these v8's do I need a compressor to change the pushrods or is that just for the springs? Any pictures or DIY's would be awesome, as well as general knowledge on the topic. I also have a tune for the cam sitting on my laptop. My goal is to do the install over 2-4 days in the next 2 or so weeks, without being in the dark. Like I said my only internal engine experience was on a 2.0T DOHC. Thanks in advance guys
Sponsored links
Old 04-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 6.6L Hemi!
Trim Level: Crew Cab Sport 4x4
Color: Stone White
Rep:366
RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

First of all what cam is it and who is doing your tuning?

Depending on the cam you may not need to change the springs.

You can change out your springs yourself with a custom compression tool its very simple you must acquire the specific tool that bolts down to the head via the rock bolt towers.

Most people use PAC springs, Manley springs im sure there are others to choose from but these are the ones ive heard the most about.

I would consider getting a torque converter install first so you will see the most out of the install. And i would strongly suggest that if you plan on getting headers in the future to hold off on the cam install because it is so much easier to install headers when you have the heads off the motor.

get this info back to me and i will help you through this process as i have done it the wrong way on this motor and the right way and i dont want to see anymore DIY installs go bad its no fun trust me...

"New Project" 1969 Road Runner
BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 PM

The cam and tune are from inertia motorsports. stu has told me that it will not require new springs. just pushrods that I purchased with the cam. I don't plan on removing the heads if I don't have to and ill be doing shorties near the end of summer.
thanks ramtex!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 PM

RamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really niceRamTex is just really nice

sounds simple enough got any engine savy folks nearby?

BV Heads,K1 Crank and Rods,Corrillo Pistons,ARP Head, Main, Side Studs and Rod Bolts,Spartan Eagle Cam,6.1 Manifold,Fastman 85mm,LMI Hammer, ARH's,3000TC,Hemifever Tuning
Old 04-26-2012, 09:55 PM

Everything you've read about the older model ram is pretty much the same for ours minus the timing assembly. The chain is different and the gears are marked differently here is what you need to look for when installing the timing assembly after you slide that cam in...

Old 04-26-2012, 10:13 PM

The hardest part about this install is getting the chain mark and the crank gear mark aligned. Also you NEED and i can stress this enough you NEED to find a crank pulley puller and not just anyone will do it must be the correct one made for our pulley. If not, the standard style pulley removal tools out there WILL warp our pulleys!!!

Here is what a correct one looks like.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:01 AM

If I got an ud pulley could I pull it with an ordinary 3 prong puller? thanks for all the info! any more information on pushrod replacement?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcanada View Post
If I got an ud pulley could I pull it with an ordinary 3 prong puller? thanks for all the info! any more information on pushrod replacement?
I dont know of any ud pulley's for our motor yet... As for the pushrods the most important thing is to make sure you dip em in some oil and triple check they are in the correct holes you should feel the pushrod go into the cup of the lifter.
The only thing that some what scares me about this install is not pulling the heads and removing the lifters before you pull the cam. Im sure as long as you remove the rockers and and relieve the spring tension on all the lifters and spin the motor over a few times all the lifers will fully move out of the way. But if even one of those lifters fall down into the motor you are gonna be screwed... You could used a telescopic magnet to pull the lifters completely out of the way but it might make things worse... But im sure someone will read this and assure you that they wont fall down and ive heard they wont either ive just never done a cam install with the heads on...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the help ramtex, I seriously appreciate it and can't emphasize how much. As for the heads on issue I've only read 3rd gen swaps that have done it, how much of a problem will i run into? shouldnt i feel it before I wreck things?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:30 AM

As for the ud pulley, ive read about a couple, i think I could get one from summit