DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky2011 View Post
Armyofone
It has been a week now and I would like an update on your truck. They put one of the remans in mine at 10k and mine was no different than before. You also speak of hwy speeds, did it not do it at low rpm city driving?
It would do it in the city too, but it was the most pronounced on the freeway. All it is, is the converter not fully coming out of or going into lockup, so its slipping (causing the shudder).

I wanted to give the truck a good, solid couple of weeks. No news is good news. I am now confident enough to say that my truck is fixed. No more grinding, humming, or shudders. If you are gonna do it, demand they put in a NEW converter, not Remanned

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Sponsored links
Old 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:10
krautdog is on a distinguished road

Thanks ArmyOfOne, I am dropping my 2011 Ram off in the morning for my third Torque converter but this time for the same one you said fixed yours. Toes and fingers crossed. I will report back in a couple weeks. Hopefully with the same results you have. Without your post I would have never got the dealer to do this. Thanks again!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:43 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

it shouldnt take but a few days. my dealear had mine in in 6 hours. i dropped it off ant noon on a monday, it was ready the next morning around 1030

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

They put another one in of the wrong part# Still shuddering. I don't know what I need to do to get this fixed but I am about to leave it at the dealer and claim lemon law!
Old 01-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update, they put the new Torque converter in Last Thursday and so far so good. Fingers crossed.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red/Tan
1OF27 is on a distinguished road

I went through the multiple torque converter replacement scenario also. The first torque converter they installed was the R8 version per the Star Case. I went from having the rattle to having a very pronounced shudder, "rumble strips" as they are affectionately known. We tried shudderguard to no avail. A month later after ordering the "RL" kit my truck was repaired last week. The second Star Case specified the RL prefixed torque converter and a front pump replacement. My truck has never run this good since new. The shifts are solid and barely noticeable. They reprogrammed the computer whilst in there and it helps. My work was completed my Park Chrysler in Burnsville, MN. They did an outstanding job working with me to get this thing cleared up. We both learned a few things in the process, they had no problem following up on research I brought to them from this forum to solve this problem. Kudos Cory the advisor I worked with and Mike the tech who completed the work!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update, I finally was able to pull my trailer with the new torque converter and all is well. Like others have said, if you have issues with yours demand that they put a new one in and not a remanufactured one.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:17
grog is on a distinguished road

I just found this thread, it appears that after having my torque converter replaced for the drone/howl, i have the same problem with this rumble, sigh.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

mine has been making a "howl" only on the hwy. what happens if i just ignore this.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Rep:17
grog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
mine has been making a "howl" only on the hwy. what happens if i just ignore this.
From everything i have read the initial issue with the noise caused by the torque converter isnt a performance or safety issue, it is just an annoyance. Unfortunately for me and others in this thread after having our converter changed for this annoyance i now have an actual performance problem, the truck is shuddering and shifting poorly, and every now and then it makes a noise and vibrates like you were driving over a rumble strip on a highway, though not as intense.

My dealer wants to 'diagnose' the problem instead of taking the information i provided from here that seems to indicate a new converter, with a different part number is required instead of the rebuilt one i received.