DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 03-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
henry28 is on a distinguished road
Arrow switching from conventional oil to synthetic

I recently bought a 2012 Ram ST and have about 550km on it. I want to change over to synthetic oil and am just wonding if I can striaght up drain the old and add synthectic or is there a specific procedure.
Sponsored links
Old 03-25-2012, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2608
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

When my oil change was due, i just switched to my preferred synthetic motor oil & a proper oil filter
I also added a Catch Can to keep any oil that the smog system might pick up from returning into the combustion chamber where it does not belong.
Oil belongs below the piston rings, not above them
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 03-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

yes you can change to synthetic, and back if you choose. think synthetic blend. it is all compatible now.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2463
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Just switch it, you'll have no problems. Just make sure you use 0 or 5W20 weight and a good filter (like Wix, Napa Gold).
Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: BLACK
henry28 is on a distinguished road

great. thanks for the replies.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:03 PM

huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

want to add, i have changed oil to synthetic as soon as i got from the dealer. done this on every new car since 1984. never an issue.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

I switched to Mobil 1 5w-20 and a Motorcraft FL-820S filter (exact match for the 5.7 Hemi) on my second oil change without any issues.

I use the same oil and filter in my wife's Escape, makes it easy when I'm buying supplies.

Darin

Last edited by dkerr24; 03-26-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White/Silver
Rollnfast is on a distinguished road

Just my two cents here, but I would wait for the first oil change interval before switching to synthetic. This gives the engine time to wear in properly. The new synthetics are so good they actually don't allow propper break in sometimes. I have not made the switch yet, but will at my next oil change (8,500 miles). Probably mobile 1 as that is what was speced for my 300 SRT8.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollnfast View Post
Just my two cents here, but I would wait for the first oil change interval before switching to synthetic. This gives the engine time to wear in properly. The new synthetics are so good they actually don't allow propper break in sometimes. I have not made the switch yet, but will at my next oil change (8,500 miles). Probably mobile 1 as that is what was speced for my 300 SRT8.
rollin, many will say that waiting to for x many miles to use synthetic is a myth. i started, using synthetic with out waiting for a "break in" when new cars started coming from the factory with synthetic, "mobil1" from the factory late eighties, think corvette and the gmc cyclones. never had any oil related problem. back in the mid seventies when mobil1 first came on the seen, people did have trouble by using in cars with 40000 or so miles as, it would cause a problem with older style gaskets. tighter specs, newer metals, better seals have made waiting obsolete. besides, unless you spend big bucks on some of the botique synthetics, they are all made from the same base stock, just use different additives now. also keep in mind, i am not an expert.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Big Horn/ QC
Trim Level: 1500 Big Horn QC
Color: white
C Jones is on a distinguished road

I've switched the last three cars I've owned to Mobil 1 5W-20...and I agree with Rolinfast that you wait for your first oil change after breaking. That allows the engine to break in properly, then flush out the particles that might have been generated during the break in period. If you have an automatic, there'll be some of the old oil left int the torque converter that you can't get out, but it will just be diluted with the old and at the subsequent oil change down the road completely gone. I've run Mobil 1 is everything from my previous one ton dually to the Porsches....it's probably one of the best synthetics on the market. Don't cheap out on your filter either....a good filter can save you a lot of wear on the engine.

If you opt to just use the oil provided by the dealership, you might want to ask what brand they use. they usually buy in bulk and the brands vary from dealership to dealership. The dealership I bought the truck from uses Penzoil...too much parafin for me. Since I can't crawl under cars anymore to change my own oil, I just buy it from Walmart (best price I've found for Mobil 1) and they charge me $14 to change it out for me.

Last edited by C Jones; 03-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.