DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I can't tell you anything more than I got it at an Advance Auto here in Jensen Beach, FL. Might be able to find it online at the Advance website.
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Son View Post
I'm fighting the temptation now that it's in my eBay watched list. Damn you, Asur!!!
Lmao haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express
Color: silver
Rep:10
fxitagntoni is on a distinguished road

I have a thirteen incher black one ....really like it.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Food for thought:

Stubby's look great, however.....

For a radio's antenna to get maximum reception/performance, it must be mounted so that its peak [highest point] at full extension rises above the vehicle's highest point [read: roof]. Stand inside your bed, kneel down to level, and look at your OEM antenna. It's extends to where it does for that very reason.

Ask any [reputable] car audio tech if you don't believe me.

Sometimes [too often] appearence simply robs performance.

To each their own....

Grub out!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Deep Molten Red/white gold trim
Rep:14
Cobrajr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Food for thought:

For a radio's antenna to get maximum reception/performance, it must be mounted so that its peak [highest point] at full extension rises above the vehicle's highest point [read: roof]. Stand inside your bed, kneel down to level, and look at your OEM antenna. It's extends to where it does for that very reason.

To each their own....

My last car did not even have an external antenna, but a metallic film on the windshield, always got great reception.

Mods: Smittybilt Streetbar - 2 PIAA 520 fogs - 2 PIAA 520 ATPs
Planned: K&N CAI - Mufflex DOD18 - replace headlights with 2013 projector headlights - BT Catch can - Cabin Air Filter - 5100 level lift - More!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Long, short, stubby, thin, oh well as long as it does the job for what you need it to do. I will agree that if you live in the city, pretty well anything with a bit of wire will work for the local stations. As for being out in the boonies, ya, for sure a good antenna will work wonders. Its really up to what you need it to do that will determine what you install on your truck, that stubby works for me, I only listen to the radio for the local traffic reports and most are on AM, for the rest of the time, "Blue collar Comedy" on Sirius, Get ur done boys.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
Food for thought:

To each their own....
I agree that as far as optimal reception goes, taller is better. But what about all those Chevys out there with the antennas sandwiched in the windshield? Obviously they didn't rise above the roof line and they still worked pretty good. My Harley doesn't even have a roofline and my shorty antenna works just fine. Just sayin'.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:54 PM

Another Idea if you would like to completely get rid of your antenna

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hidden-ANTENN...item2c64da606a

Amplified Hidden Antenna
Old 05-01-2012, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Antennas that are "built" into the front or rear window are actually the very best type of antennas.

Why? Because the ENTIRE surface that the antennas is "built" into/onto [glass] acts like an antenna. Greater surface mass will always excel against any fender [body] mounted antenna.

My earlier comments were targeted at fender/body mounted antennas [mast].

Grub out!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:09 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The length of the fender mounted antenna is based on wavelength. FM radio uses the band of 88Mhz to 108Mhz. The wavelength at 88Mhz is just over 11 feet and at 108Mhz it's just over 9 feet. Your truck antenna is based on the center of this band (98Mhz) which has a wavelength of just a bit over 10feet.

Because we really don't want a 10' antenna, we have the option of using a 1/2 wave or 1/4 wave antenna. Even at 5' (1/2 wave), we would be unhappy with it sticking up that high so the manufactures opted for 1/4 wave antenna which at 98Mhz is 30-1/8" long. A 1/4 wave antenna must be mounted to a ground plane. Because we mount the antenna on the fender, the ground plan is not correct in all directions which is why you can lose reception by turning a corner when in a fringe area, and also why the reception is different between driving away from or toward a radio station.

Once you reduce the antenna length below the 1/4 wave design, you loose reception in a hurry, and the usable distance is reduced exponentially the shorter the antenna gets.

In glass antennae line the GM vehicles used to use are a different animal, as they are setup as a 1/2 wave dipole. Although this should work better (and no ground plane is required) they are horizontally polarized. Unfortunately, not all FM stations broadcast in both vertical and horizontal polarization (they all broadcast in vertical), so the fender mounted antenna appears to work more consistently.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI