DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram TRX 4x4
Trim Level: TRX 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:26
Matt Clawson is on a distinguished road
Default Motorcycles in Bed

Hey everyone,

Just got the word here that i'm going to have to move as soon as I get back from Afghanistan. I'll be going from Fort Bragg NC to Fort Rucker Alabama. I was looking to see if people were successful in putting two motorcycles in the bed of a 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab. I know the bed is only 5'7" so the tail gate would have to remain down.

The bikes are a 2011 Ducati Diavel and a 2010 Ninja 250R.

Anyone have photos of it being done?

If not, then i'll look into shipping them. I will be already hauling a car trailer so putting them in a trailer wasn't an option.

Thanks!

Matt
Sponsored links
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm sure you can do it. The ducati is a wide bike, but the 250 is tiny.

I put my suzuki bandit and my buddy's Kawasaki Ninja zx-6(or whatever it is called) in my short bed s10 and drove it from Orlando to TN and back without issue. I did have to install an eyelet in the front center of the bed behind the cab so I could tie down both bikes securely, and it was a tight fit, but it wasn't that bad. Took about 2 hours to load up both bikes, tie them down, and load up all the gear, and feel confident about it lol.

That truck was a 4 cylinder and had about 212,000 miles at the time. Was overloaded and handled the mountains great I miss that thing sometimes...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:26 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I don't have any pics but I'll see if my buddy does tomorrow...

Old 05-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the quick reply. The Ducati is my main concern, and it is about 89 inches long (reading some websites) and the bed is about 67 inches + tailgate. So it will be sitting on there. Any problem with the load on the tailgate for that long? Did you use wheel chocks to lock down the front tire? My concern was the length of the bed. Your right the 250R is light, narrow, and not as long as the Ducati, also far cheaper haha.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 PM

There won't be an issue with it sitting on the tailgate. The weight is pretty minimal compared to what the ram's payload is, and still 75% or more of the bike's weight will be in front of the truck's axle.

My s10 had a payload of 1200lb IIRC, and we had the two bikes(~450-500lb each), about 200 pounds worth of cooler, bags, etc., plus each of us at ~200 lb each. We were overloaded, and it was fine. I will say I drove VERY easy, mainly with any sort of potholes that I saw and cornering, but all was good and I'm usually over cautious.

We did not use wheel chocks, as I never do in the pickup. I always strap my bikes down through the lower triple trees, one strap each side, and one strap each side on the back somewhere. This gives 4 straps per bike. I like "looping" the straps "through" something, not "hooking" the straps "to" something. Hit a large bump and the straps can come off if not hooked "through".

You'll be fine, that s10 was tiny compared to this ram...just use some sense when strapping them down. Also check them after a few miles, then again every once in a while.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the only issue that you will have is when the tailgate is down, while pulling a trailer
chances are that you may damage the tailgate, by bouncing off the trailers tongue

one company makes tailgate supports, both shorter & longer

http://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

First and foremost, Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I have ALOT (I do mean alot) of experience towing and hauling heavy loads. Having been in the army, and on 3 combat tours, for the better part of a decade now, I have seen and driven just about everything there is to drive, from tanks, to Route Clearance Vehicles, to pickup trucks. Some are VERY heavy, and some are bone stock trucks guys like you and me drive everyday.

You have already noticed your coil springs will collapse under the weight of a heavy trailer, and while that does not pose a problem to your truck immediately, it can, over time. Towing a load as heavy as this with the 4th gen Ram requires some additional help, due to the smooth riding coil spring Multi-Link rear suspension. Coils were put in the ram because they ride smoother, but they are your worst enemy when towing/hauling heavy. Thats where Total Load Control Suspensions comes in. Right now we are having a sale, and shipping is free* to the continental US and Canada. This system is designed and patented specifically for 2009+ Ram 1500's. It will work in conjuction with your coil springs to improve load handling, reduce wear and tear on your coil springs, and even helps with unladen ride comfort and stability.

Knowing what I know, if you prefer to haul your bikes in your truck bed with the tailgate down, it is safe to do so, since most of the weight is on the trucks bed, and not the tailgate. However, should you also want to tow a trailer, I HIGHLY recommend a hitch receiver extension, so that you dont slam your tailgate on the coupler when entering exiting parking lots, or hitting large dips.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower...840516&sr=8-12

What this does is it allows you to tow with the tailgate down, by placing the coupler away from the tailgate. Be aware though, that with every foot you extend, you drop about 100lbs of tongue weight capacity. I have used this same extension when I had a Truck bed camper that had an 16" overhang, and I still wanted to tow my boat. Boat was 4,000 lbs, so it worked out well.

Shoot me a message at ArmyofOne2006@remove_this_part_gmail.com, and we can get you on your way to comfortable and safe towing. Happy Travels!

*=free shipping applies to Ram 1500 TLC kits only. The 2500 and above kits are much heavier and therefore require extra shipping charges.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-24-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Will you be towing a trailer at the same time? I didn't realize that.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Yeah i'll but putting a car on a trailer and towing that at the same time i have 2x motorcycles in the bed. Thus the planning i'm going through. The car weighs 3100 lbs, on a crappy uhaul trailer (2,210 lbs). So about 5,400 lbs after some gas in the car and other small items. I rather take it all with me so I don't have to pay a shipping company. I looked at the tail gate items, that is pretty nice same with the hitch extension. I'll definitely look into that. I'll look into the other item tomorrow.

Matt
Old 05-24-2012, 11:53 AM

The weight shouldn't be much issue. Just be careful, don't make sharp turns.