Hey guys, I just figured I would share the lighting setup I put in my truck just last month.
What I was going for with my setup was basic visibility. In NC POVs aren't "emergency vehicles" so I just wanted to make sure I could "ask for right-of-way" when traveling to a scene, and have a decent amount of rear coverage when parked. For the sides? Meh, it wasn't a priority for me. If I ever get a chunk of change that the wife will let me blow on more lights I might stick some heads on the fenders...but that would be down the road a bit.
Anywho, without further yapping...
3ft section of aluminum angle for the rear bracket (painted flat black):
"That looks like a good place for a switch..."
Each 12V outlet in the Ram is protected by a 20A fuse. The one at the bottom is hot-at-all-times. Since there's no interior fuse block in the Ram I figured this would be a great place to pull power from (since I calculated I only needed 4.5A total for my lights). Here's the wires to the outlet; it took me a while to get the pigtail undone (actually...another member from the department had to help me with this).
I snipped off the outlet connector and added a second hot and ground lead off the factory wires. Secured with a butt splice and electrical tape (please don't flame, it's what I had available...I know it's not the "best" way to do it).
Re-connected the factory outlet pigtail for functionality...
Hole drilled for 25A rated switch (I forgot to fuse between the outlet and the switch, so I went with a switch that could handle everything the circuit could throw at it).
I did install a mini-blade fuse holder on the switched side of the rocker. Since the circuit is good for 20A altogether I thought it would be wise to make sure if something went wrong that I didn't send 20A to the LEDs (fused at 5A).
The switched hot lead coming up the a-pillar...
There were already holes in the roof support, so I just borrowed a couple to attach my bracket.
Secured lights with the help of a close friend of mine...VELCRO!
Mess of wires in the A-pillar. I may actually move the common ground for the lights elsewhere because those 3 wires, plus the 3 hot wires for the lights makes it a tight squeeze when putting the A-pillar cover back on.
And a day-time video of the finished product: