DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:173
Unfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura aboutUnfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura about
Default Going to school in Alaska!

I am going to school in Fairbanks, Alaska this fall for a degree called Process Technology. I am driving up there in August. How do these Rams do in 50 below? Anyone from Alaska here?
MODS- QTP Exhaust Cutout, ARH Long-tube Headers, HornBlasters Train Horn, HemiFever Tuned, Linex bedliner, Painted mirrors and door handles, 14" magnaflow muffler, Cabin air filter, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Black 17" Sport Edition TK5 Wheels, K&N CAI, BT Catch can, 85mm Throttle body, Upper glovebox Mod, Recon Black Projector headlights, Retroshops- Tinted LED Tails including 3rd brake.
Sponsored links
Old 04-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

I can tell you this....they do awesome at -45C, I know there is at least one or two Alaska guys here. Hopefully they will chime in. Make sure you have a block heater. Another thing to have in those low temps is a battery blanket. Ensure your antifreeze is at max and you shouldn't have any issues. Remember to let her warm up before driving and don't push her too hard until she comes to temp.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
IH Scout Driver is on a distinguished road

Be sure you get the full winterization package for your rig (battery pad, oil pan pad, block heater, winter front, synthetic oils). I live in Fairbanks (been here for over 6 years now). I've had a power steering pump freeze solid in the past (bad fluid was the cause). My diesels seem to do just fine over the past couple years.

The local dealer can be considered a joke at times. Some people have more luck than others. The next closest dealer is in Anchorage and some claim they aren't much better then the Fairbanks dealer. No other dealers in the state that I'm aware of.

I know several people that have Rams locally and no one has reported major issues that I'm aware of. If you plug in when it gets below -20*F on a timer and you'll be fine.

Good luck on your degree, UAF is a good school.

Edit - I looked to where you are living now; I have family in that general area. You'll enjoy the drive North.

Also, the remarks by Stump3r are spot on concerning the antifreeze mix. You want a good winter mix for this far North. You'll get used to the dry snow fairly quickly; it's not like what you're getting off Lake Michigan.

Last edited by IH Scout Driver; 05-01-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman - Rambox
Color: Black Crystal - Gray
Rep:83
wvcoolvinilla will become famous soon enough

I hope you like Hunting.. I was in and out of AK a couple of times with the Air Force.. some of the guys on base were crazy in love with hunting up there.. goood luck with school..
Old 05-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Lived there for 13 years before moving to the sunny south. The winters there are nothing like the winters in Michigan, and take it easy on the ALCAN highway. Try to go before it get's to raining as the section in the Yukon Territories can get a bit hairy sometimes. Take some good road side tools and a jack that will work well on the side of a road just in case, a gallon of water, and a 5 gallon gas can. I'm hoping there are a couple more gas stations along the road since I drove it but sometimes there's a pretty good distance between them. Not trying to dissuade you from driving there, just saying it's best to be prepared as the ALCAN is not a road you really want to be stuck on.

Last edited by InDeepWaterBlue; 05-01-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

I am from AK, but my truck has never been there, I fly now LOL.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 RCSB 4X4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Rep:173
Unfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura aboutUnfairkickazz93 has a spectacular aura about

I am definitely looking forward to the drive up there! I have driven across country many times so I know long distance driving. This will be the longest though at 3500 miles. Anyone that has driven the route, How long should I give myself to drive it? I will have my brother to help drive.

As far as the weatherization, I will have that done as soon as I get there. What ratio of antifreeze to water should be in it?
MODS- QTP Exhaust Cutout, ARH Long-tube Headers, HornBlasters Train Horn, HemiFever Tuned, Linex bedliner, Painted mirrors and door handles, 14" magnaflow muffler, Cabin air filter, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Black 17" Sport Edition TK5 Wheels, K&N CAI, BT Catch can, 85mm Throttle body, Upper glovebox Mod, Recon Black Projector headlights, Retroshops- Tinted LED Tails including 3rd brake.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
US Army Retired

ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

60/40 for summer, I would run 80/20 for winter up there. Dont want to crack the block.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
IH Scout Driver is on a distinguished road

When you get the winterization done (after getting here); they'll put in the correct ratio's. But Army of one nailed them if you're mixing yourself. One nice thing about having the shop do it is that they'll typically flush the system at the same time (very helpful after that drive).

Both times I drove it was in late fall / mid winter; and I had a trailer, so it took a little longer. But I made the trip from Houghton / Hancock to Fairbanks in 7 days (solo); 5 days with 2 drivers.

Be sure to have about ~10 gallons spare fuel with you and a current copy of the milepost. Since you'll be coming up during tourist season, 99% of the shops / gas stations will be open. You'll get slowed down by the RV's in several locations; and watch for the oilfield guys in NWT, some drive like they own the road.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:16 PM
US Army Retired

OK, Having made this exact drive 5x in my life, I can tell you, its a lot of fun. If you want scenery, I highly recommend the trek through Alberta, as its full of all kinds of fun stuff!

As for driving the Al-Can, I drove it last in June 2003 when my folks moved from Anchorage AK (Elmendorf AFB actually) to Fort Worth, TX when my dad Retired. You will want:

-10 gallons extra fuel

-2 spare tires (at least)

-Camping gear, complete with 1 firearm, preferably .45 or larger (even if you
do not plan on camping, it may save your life if you have to camp somewhere!)

-Spare belts/hoses

-1 extra set of HL bulbs (rediculous fine in Canada if you get pulled for a headlight out)

-some kind of rock protection for your truck, be it a temporary screen that mounts to the front (the kind you put on a car being towed behind an RV) or whatever...the gravel sections will destroy your paint.

-Glass coverage on your insurance, I lost 3 windshields in 5 trips. Truckers don't always have mudflaps on the trailers.

-Hand tools

-Lots of cash, you will need to exchange it at the border, and then again at the Alaska Border. I wouldn't use debit/credit cards for many reasons, one the exchange rate is factored in, someone could fudge something up (happened to me, I ended up paying 1,200 for a tank of fuel in BC cause some dolt added a digit), and because MANY places along the al-can dont have the ability to take Debit/Credit, and some won't take US currency. You will be on E and pull into a gas station and dude will be like, "I cant help you".

-Speaking of gas stations, whenever you see one once on the al-can, FILL UP. I know for a fact its not uncommon to see 400+ miles between them.

-Don't expect stellar fuel economy. The altitude is high most of the trip and as such you will run slightly rich. In addition to that, there are many grades of 7, 8 and even one thats 12%. You will be able to identify it by the sand/gravel pit at the bottom...its designed to stop runaway rigs from flying off the mountain.

All-in-all a very beautiful drive, and one I would happily take again.