DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Basscatfrank is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought a Ram

New guy here and I just bought a 2009 Ram. The first truck I ever bought was a new 1984 Dodge Prospector with a 318. I kept that for a few years then traded it in for Silverado. Since then I have been a Chevy/GMC guy. I recently decided it was time for a new to me truck and after looking at Silverados, Sierras, and Tundras, I went to see a Ram. I was pleasantly surprised. After a little shopping around I found a 2009 Ram with the 4.7 that I liked and I bought it last night.

Can you tell me what to expect from this truck? I did my research but I would like to hear frst hand accounts from actual owners. I look forward to reading your responses. Thank you.
Sponsored links
Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

welcome to the Z Basscat. Be sure to stop in to the newbie section to get a proper welcome when you get the chance.

Remember that we just love to see pics around here, and there is a semi-unwritten rule that without pics, it didn't happen so be sure to post some pics when you get the chance.

I can't answer specifically about the '09s and what to expect, as I've got a '10 Crew Cab Sport. For the most part they're excellent trucks, Dodge did it right when they redesigned them.

The Z is broken up in to several different sections that make finding what you're looking for (if there is something specific) pretty easy. There is also the search feature which is very helpful. A good place to start is this forum, and also the 4th gen section.

Have fun, stop by often, and post a lot! I'm sure that you'll soon be as addicted as the rest of us.

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 05-02-2012, 08:35 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Hello there! I love my 4.7, wouldn't trade it for a Hemi...Ok, thats probably a lie, all things equal, there is no equal to the Hemi .

But for what it is, the 4.7 is a beast. 330 ft lbs? from a 287 small block? My dad's ram got 250 out of a 360. Times have changed, you will continue to see smaller engines with larger power numbers.

The way I see it, If I can't tow it with my 4.7, I should probably be looking at a 3/4 ton, not just a Hemi.

I demand stellar fuel economy (for a full size truck) as well, and I get it, frequently. However, you do have to realize that it is a 6,000lb truck, so 20mpg city just isnt going to happen. That said, 20mpg hwy is very doable. I have almost 70k on my truck now, and she hasnt gotten that many miles by giving me crap for gas mileage. LOL

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 05-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:47 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Blue
BlueRam1500 is on a distinguished road

Hello Basscat, If you are like me you will find yourself loving the fact that you are getting in that truck on a daily basis! I smile everytime it cranks up! If you have any questions Like Excoastie said the the 4th Gen Sect. is a great place to start and if you don't find want you are looking for just ask there is someone on here that will have the correct answer...
Old 05-02-2012, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 2WD
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:77
bigedschukar will become famous soon enough

Hi Basscat!

Like ArmyofOne and BlueRam, I can't speak more highly of my 2009 4.7L. I have around 64K miles on mine now and it is still just an amazing vehicle to drive and own. I literally just HATE driving my wife's Honda CRV now! I got the 4.7L because I don't tow anything and I'm not a construction worker, but I wanted the power of a V8. Mine has PLENTY of get up and go and it sounds tough even in it's stock state. My gas mileage is usually 17-18MPG mixed city/hwy, but she loves road trips. I once got 22MPG on a 4 hour trip to Dallas. As for hauling, although I don't regularly tow/haul anything, I recently did 4 loads of rock for a culvert on my property. Yes I maxed out the bed load and she was tilted back, but damned if she didn't still have the get up and go!!

I love my truck. Like you I test drove trucks and fully expected to buy a Chevy....until I drove my Ram. They feel tight, tough, and strong.

Good luck with your new baby and give us a shout on here with any help/info!!
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam1500 View Post
Hello Basscat, If you are like me you will find yourself loving the fact that you are getting in that truck on a daily basis! I smile everytime it cranks up! If you have any questions Like Excoastie said the the 4th Gen Sect. is a great place to start and if you don't find want you are looking for just ask there is someone on here that will have the correct answer...
I even smiled the day it didnt crank up...and the day it cranked but didnt move

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
sottis is on a distinguished road

congrats basscat, I've owned a 1995 with a 318, 2002 4.7 that I put 150,000 on and now I own a 2010 Laramie that I love. My Hemi is great but that little 4.7 was a great motor - wish the 5.7 was as easy to change oil as the 4.7