DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:40
Emorris69 is on a distinguished road
Post Idea's for Modifications?

So I need new ideas for engine/ performance modifications. I have an intake and exhaust system. Is there and other do it your self mods out there for a reasonable price that will help my truck? I would like any ones opinion on what they have done to their trucks what’s worked what’s not. Lets get the information out their for people like me that just love to drive and can never get enough out of their trucks

Thanks
Emorris69
Old 05-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

without a tuner, and there aren't any for our trucks, its all fluff. there is nothing you can do for more power or mpg.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

If you're looking for simple (could end up costing a few $$$ though) mods.. here are few examples

180 t-stat
larger throttle body
tuner
catch can
engine bay dress up stuff

Do a search on what you can expect to gain from the lower temp thermostat. I believe the gains from a larger throttle body should be obvious, the same is true of the tuner. The catch can catches excess oil running through your breather (do a search to learn more). The dress up stuff will make things run better, go faster, and look cooler (everyone knows that pretty is faster )

good luck and let us know what you decide on

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 05-17-2012, 11:30 AM

huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

tbs, in our trucks are useless. how would 180 degree stat affect his heat in the winter "up" in nova scotia.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
without a tuner, and there aren't any for our trucks, its all fluff. there is nothing you can do for more power or mpg.
Yeah you don't know nothing

Dude you can do quite a bit without tuning but it will cost you money and the sounds of it your looking for cheap mods.....you need to throw all that being cheap shit out the window, you got to pay to play

I have JBA shorty headers (for $555 & $170 install)
258mm Circle D 3000 stall Torque Converter (for $850 and $225 install)
Fastman Throttle Body ($220)
Mopar CAI with Ram Air mod ($400)
22" magnaflow muffler and y-pipe mod (for $100 and $120 install)
Raceland e-cutout (for $160 and $50 install)
180Tstat ($25)
Catch Can ($80)

I'm pretty sure thats all I have and I don't have a tuner (2011 CC sport)....your computer learns and adapts when you disconnect your battery. There's no one that can't tell me my performance/mpg hasn't gone up. So for someone to say there's nothing you can do to 2011s and up to increase your performance/mpg is a damn liar. Don't get me wrong I'm waiting in the line for a tuner just like everyone else so I can begin stage two of my performance mods (cam, heads, turbo/supercharger).
Old 05-17-2012, 03:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Color: 1500
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:23
CanDan is on a distinguished road

From what I read on the thermostat us Canadians shouldn't do it because of our cold climate.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi View Post
Yeah you don't know nothing

Dude you can do quite a bit without tuning but it will cost you money and the sounds of it your looking for cheap mods.....you need to throw all that being cheap shit out the window, you got to pay to play

I have JBA shorty headers (for $555 & $170 install)
258mm Circle D 3000 stall Torque Converter (for $850 and $225 install)
Fastman Throttle Body ($220)
Mopar CAI with Ram Air mod ($400)
22" magnaflow muffler and y-pipe mod (for $100 and $120 install)
Raceland e-cutout (for $160 and $50 install)
180Tstat ($25)
Catch Can ($80)

I'm pretty sure thats all I have and I don't have a tuner (2011 CC sport)....your computer learns and adapts when you disconnect your battery. There's no one that can't tell me my performance/mpg hasn't gone up. So for someone to say there's nothing you can do to 2011s and up to increase your performance/mpg is a damn liar. Don't get me wrong I'm waiting in the line for a tuner just like everyone else so I can begin stage two of my performance mods (cam, heads, turbo/supercharger).
you could be right and "i don't know nothing", but the small gains you may have achieved with your mods are not worth the dollars imho. the exception being your circle D. tbs, is a fine paperweight. in the seventies, we could gain as much or more hp simply with a glass pack and fliping the air cleaner over. suggesting a 180degree stat to a forum member up north is poor advice. now if you want to talk about replacing the pistons, lifters, camshaft and the ecm from a ten model and a supercharger, and find a tuner to make it all work, then you are right, there is plenty that can be done, but again, "i don't know nothing".
Old 05-17-2012, 04:26 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
you could be right and "i don't know nothing", but the small gains you may have achieved with your mods are not worth the dollars imho. the exception being your circle D. tbs, is a fine paperweight. in the seventies, we could gain as much or more hp simply with a glass pack and fliping the air cleaner over. suggesting a 180degree stat to a forum member up north is poor advice. now if you want to talk about replacing the pistons, lifters, camshaft and the ecm from a ten model and a supercharger, and find a tuner to make it all work, then you are right, there is plenty that can be done, but again, "i don't know nothing".
again for your stupidity.....first off I didn't suggest a 180Tstat I told him what I have and what can be done without tuning (learn to read)! FYI if you look at almost every fast truck on these and other forums you will see similar mods to the ones I have plus the cam,heads,turbo/supercharger/N20. The mods I've done are not as good if you do them just by themselves but when you couple them all together I promise your truck will be a whole different animal, I just can't wait till tuning to make them even better!...... fyi a fastman throttle body is not a throttle body spacer
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

You can definitely get more power from intake and exhaust mods even without tuning.

Most mods aren't worth the money, but they are worth it to the owner because it's fun. There are few if any performance mods that are financially justifiable.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackHemi View Post
again for your stupidity.....first off I didn't suggest a 180Tstat I told him what I have and what can be done without tuning (learn to read)! FYI if you look at almost every fast truck on these and other forums you will see similar mods to the ones I have plus the cam,heads,turbo/supercharger/N20. The mods I've done are not as good if you do them just by themselves but when you couple them all together I promise your truck will be a whole different animal, I just can't wait till tuning to make them even better!...... fyi a fastman throttle body is not a throttle body spacer
well tks for setting me straight. read that as tbs, sorry.