DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

You guys are gonna think I went a bit over board but thats how I am. If you want you can get all the parts from Chrysler to do this but it was way to expensive. I got myself that inverter for 47$, its a 375 constant, and peeks at 600watts. it has a battery protector, so if your battery drains to less than 10.5 volts, it will shut off, at that point you have enough energy left in your battery to start up your car and recharge your battery, of course you can keep running your stuff on it during that time, it will last on a battery size like we have in our trucks for around 2-3 hours at full load. up to 6 at half load, (well thats what the manual says). If there are any issues it will shut off, lets say too much load or something shorts. It also has a built in Fan to keeps things cool.

I wanted to install this setup so that it could be removed easily. Especially if I need to get in there (the console) for radio or other reasons. So I ordered the 115volt socket and the cover plate from MoparPartsOverstock.com, they pretty well have the best pricing for original parts.

part #05082095AB power outlet inverter plug 12$ (they sell this on ebay for 45$)

and the front cover plate.

part #1JR73DX9AA front bezel $16 , could not find a pic of it but you can see it on the other images in the post

Funny thing was I had order them to parts thinking they fit one in the other and then you just clip it to the console at the place of the cubby hole, noooooooooot!!!!!!!

I found out, you need a whole different console to have those parts fit and hold. So I pulled my console and checked how I could make it fit, I took a piece of plastic and made a hole in it the size of the socket and then used JB weld to hold it all together in the cover plate, the plate will fit fine in the console cover where you had the cubby hole but the 2 top clips are just a bit wide, so I groved a small grove in the so that they fit and clip in, if you do this you will see what I mean, I wanted to make sure it would still be very solid and would not rattle around on the console piece so i used some black silicone and stuck it in place,

I pulled the inverter cover off and removed the switch that came with it, wired in 4 new wires and a male plug. on the switch i did the same but with a female plug ( i know you new that) and cut the same size hole in the bezel cover just above the 115v plug. popped it in, now if i need to remove the console cover, I can just unplug the switch. For the 115v plug, I welded a house plug to it that will then plug into one of the inverter plugs dash side

The plug for the inverter is made to plug into a normal 12v lighter plug. I cut that off and installed a male/female setup so it could also be unplugged and removed if needed. This way I can wire it in to the truck and still be able to pull it out.

not the best setup, but it works and its protected from possible shorts

The inverter I was very lucky here, on my truck, under the radio there is a huge hole with nothing there, and the inverter seriously just fit right in that hole, of course it needed a bit of help to get in cause its just the exact size. I added a piece of rubber just to sandwich it in so it could not move or vibrate from the truck movement.

Since the unit is make to just plug into a regular 12v socket I cut into the one on the bottom right of my console. and this one only works in accessory mode. I could of put it on the other side which is constantly powered, but for now its on the accessory one. Will see if I change it later. so welded in the cable with plug I made from parts I had around the shop and wired that in. I pulled the pins out of the connector for the 12v socket so I could shrink wrap up my tie in to be nice and clean. Sorry for the crappy images

Once all that was done, all I had to do was plug back in the console, with all its new plugs too and clip it back into place

and now I can actually put my desk lamp on my dash I always wanted Lmao

Here is the cubby unit I removed to install this 115v plug.

if anyone has question, let me know, or pm me I will do the best i can to answer any inquiries.
Sponsored links
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:1045
double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

that worked out very well! nice clean install. I'll definitely sling some reps your way when I can.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:35 PM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jaron, can't wait to see your future truck.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:37 PM

double0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud ofdouble0ram has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Thanks Jaron, can't wait to see your future truck.
Haha me too! whatever I find, it's certainly has no idea what it's going to turn into.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0ram View Post
Haha me too! whatever I find, it's certainly has no idea what it's going to turn into.
Lmao, yup, I think your next truck is in for a huge Ride of changes
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM

probably doesn't help it's chances that I'm having month and months of planning a wars worth of mods against it.

Yup... it's not going to know what hit it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

That is SWEET!
Keep the lamp in the truck.....it goes with your seat covers
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM

Lmao, pimp my ride This is a great addition for my Christmas lights
Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Lmao, pimp my ride This is a great addition for my Christmas lights
Yes....exactly!
Speaking of that......I will be putting the christmas lights on my truck within the coming weeks

How is the best way to get into the cab from the rear to utilize the plug I got?
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
Yes....exactly!
Speaking of that......I will be putting the christmas lights on my truck within the coming weeks

How is the best way to get into the cab from the rear to utilize the plug I got?
just run it along the top of the dash, and out the door by the hinges, minimize pinching of wires that way.