DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram – 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Green and Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:14
81X11 is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Quad Cab "restoration" Thread

Hi all. Since I joined a few weeks back I've been posting about the '98 Ram I saved from being hauled off to the salvage yard or donated to Goodwill. The previous owner basically gave me the truck, and I towed it home and have been working on it non-stop since.

I've been putting my "restoration" updates in the Newbie Checkin section, since that's where I first posted. Figured I should move to where these belong.

The original post and all the updates and pics are here if you want to see what I started with: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=110690

And here is the latest novel. Got the truck back on the road this weekend! It is alive again!

First, figured out the brake issue. The rear brake shoes all look the same, but it turns out there is a primary and secondary shoe on each side of the truck. Well in looking at the brakes, it looks like one side had both primaries on it, and the other one had the secondaries. In other words one side was doing all the braking I guess, and that one drum was badly warped. Went and bought new shoes, turned both drums, and the truck has perfect brakes now, no shake, no wobble!

The transmission is also fixed. The new pressure solenoid and sensor did the trick. Shifts fine now, don’t have to let up on the gas, and goes into all gears. Another win. Every once in a while it thunks when slowing down, like coming to a stop and downshifting after only going 20-25mph in a neighborhood….I’ve read these transmissions are goofy so I’m going to chalk it up to sitting for a long time and the general model. It may get better with use, and it’s MUCH better than it was. I thought I was looking at a new transmission last week. Thank goodness I read up on the forum about those electrical parts.

On driving it around, was hearing some belt noise at take-off. I may have to replace the tensioner, but it was $67, so I just bought a new belt for now. The old belt looked ok, but it had been soaked with coolant from the leaking water pump for who knows how long before I got it, and it had also sat unused for all those months. So far I have not heard any noises from the new belt. Hope that fixed it!

Decided to give it a good road test Sunday morning. I used the Ram and went to the salvage yard in Belton/Killeen. Found a lot of Rams there, and pulled a radio, driver’s door speaker, and A-pillar trim panel with tweeter. Also pulled some good license plate lights for the rear bumper, the plastic housings on the truck had dried out cracked. Also found a stock leather steering wheel on a Durango in rally nice shape, and nabbed it to replace the dried and worn one in the Ram.

Got home and got to work Sunday afternoon and now have FM and a working door speaker again (nice!!), working bumper lights, and a much nicer and better looking steering wheel. I think it’s thicker than the old wheel too, it’s the same style but was a newer truck.

I did the mileage after running up and down the highway, and the truck got 17mpg on the trip! Much better than I was expecting. The new tires ride smooth and quiet. Cruise control holds 75mph easily, although the truck is geared low, turning 2K rpm at that speed, where our Suburban turns 1500rpm. A/C works, engine runs very cool now (as it should considering the cooling system is all new), gauge never gets above ¼ way up. Volts, oil, bat, all gauges read normal on the trip.

So it’s really coming along! I do still hear a lot of fan noise when taking off from the new fan clutch, and also when taking off I think I hear a hiss sound that is either a vaccum leak, could be the belt, or could just be the sound of the intake….the airbox is basically under the dashboard there….need to ride in another Dodge to see if this is just how they sound. Underway the truck is very quiet.

So still on the to-do list, I need to get it aligned. It doesn’t pull, but the steering wheel is cocked a little to the side and I want to make sure the new tires wear evenly. I want to change the oil again soon too. The old oil that came out after sitting unused over a year was BLACK, and after only 250 miles the new Castrol GTX I put in is already very dark. Will run one more tank of gas through the truck and change the oil in a week or so. Hopefully that will get it all cleaned out in there. Also still need to change the fuel filter, but again, want to run all the old gas out of the truck first before doing that. Also plan to do the plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Truck runs smooth, but have no idea how old those parts are, and since I’ve done everything else, feel like I need to do those too….fresh start and all.

I’m planning to do cat-back dual exhaust on the truck out at Taylor Muffler. Hopefully can afford that by the end of the month. Give the big 360 a little rumble and add some chrome under the rear bumper.
On the cosmetic side, I’m going to have Allan at Dealer’s Choice replace the two worn leather panels on the driver’s seat and re-pad the cushion while he’s in there. The interior will pretty much look new after that…..just don’t look under the dashmat..ha!

On the exterior I still need to order a set of new fog lights, and also want to order a new upper front bumper trim panel...the one on there now is all faded out. Both the lights and trim can be found cheap on Ebay. The rear bumper also has that dent....but every one at the salvage yard was much worse than mine. Will keep my eyes peeled.

Also planning to get some estimates on re-painting the upper body. Will hit some body shops over my lunch breaks this week. Will have to budget for paint, but once painted, the truck will look like new.

That’s it so far. Took the family to dinner at Chuy’s last night in it. My Aggie wife likes the pickup a lot, as do the kiddos. It’s out in the parking lot here at work today.

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11; 05-07-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM

I went to two of my normal paint guys for estimates on my lunch break. The second guy had a cancellation and needed work. Told me if I would leave the Ram today he'd sand and re-shoot it for $300!!
Ahahahahaha! He asked me to take off the grill, 3rd brake light and tailgate trim. In my work outfit I grabbed tools…ahaha, Done! Got all sweaty and had to go change clothes before coming back to work.

Left it at the paint shop now. He’s doing base/clearcoat. Just doing the upper green from the pinstripe up, so the hood, upper doors, roof, and upper bed and tailgate, which is fine, the silver and lower green are good.

I’m supposed to have it back Friday. I’ve got to find new pinstripes between now and then. Such a deal! Pics to follow!
Old 05-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Anyone know a good place to get the pinstripes for the 2-tone trucks? And also how wide it is? I forgot to measure it.

It does not have to be green and silver like what I have now. I was thinking grey and silver or black and silver will look fine.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:86
SnoopyIsMyHero will become famous soon enough

Nice write up. FYI, you don't need to replace the entire tensioner, just the pulley can be bought. I got mine at my FLAPS for about $13.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyIsMyHero View Post
Nice write up. FYI, you don't need to replace the entire tensioner, just the pulley can be bought. I got mine at my FLAPS for about $13.
I replaced the pulley when I did the water pump. The tensioner was frozen...spring was rusted. Soaked it in Liquid Wrench and got it moving again, but think the spring is now weak and it's letting the belt slip.

We'll see.

-Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Went and picked up the new pinstripe at lunch. This is the stripe that goes between the dark green upper body and the silver sides. Stock it’s two lime green stripes with a silver stripe in the middle, ¾ inch wide. I hate lime green.

The new stripe is still ¾ inch wide, still three lines, but it’ll be silver next to the green paint, dark grey (gunmetal) in the middle, and black against the silver paint. Think it’ll look sharp.

Planning to replace the lime green Dodge decal on the tailgate with a dark grey one, which will remove all the lime color and tie in nicely with the new stripes.

Now I just need to get the truck back from the paint shop!

-Mike
Old 05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:86
SnoopyIsMyHero will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81X11 View Post
I replaced the pulley when I did the water pump. The tensioner was frozen...spring was rusted. Soaked it in Liquid Wrench and got it moving again, but think the spring is now weak and it's letting the belt slip.

We'll see.

-Mike
Ahhh. Got it. Junkyard, $15 for the unit at my local pick n pull.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopyIsMyHero View Post
Ahhh. Got it. Junkyard, $15 for the unit at my local pick n pull.
That's a really good idea! I can re-use the new pulley. Will head to the yard this weekend.

-Mike
Old 05-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Your daily Ram Restoration update. The replacement front bumper fog lights are now on order. Hopefully will have those early next week. The new black Dodge tailgate decal is also ordered…along with one other factory decal that I’ll share when it comes in.

The new front upper bumper cap trim piece came in to replace the dry and faded one. Can’t tell if the original one was green or grey, but the only replacements they sell now are black. Wish I could have kept the original color, but the new black cap looks great, ties in well with the black rub strips on the doors, and I can’t wait to install it and get rid of that faded trim. Will change the entire look of the truck’s front end.

Lastly I spent about an hour working on the grill last night, sitting at the kitchen table. Turns out all but one of the mounting studs that run across the top of the grill were broken, where the bug guard mounts between the grill and the hood itself. Used 1200lb high strength epoxy and re-mounted all the mounting studs to the grill. Really built the area up around each one, so hopefully they’ll hold. Will remember to NEVER slam the hood once the grill is re-mounted.

Truck was supposed to be back from the body shop today, but due to the rainy weather on Tuesday they got behind, so now it’s looking like it’ll be tomorrow before I get it back. That’s ok, I’m planning to spend most of the day Saturday putting the trim back on, installing the new pin stripes, and waxing the mid and lower body. Looking forward to this weekend, love seeing a project come together.

With a little luck I’ll be driving the truck to work on Monday. Fingers are crossed.

Pics when I have them!

-Mike