DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: Green and Grey
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:14
81X11 is on a distinguished road

Just went by the body shop. Had a guy on a ladder sanding the roof and another sanding the passenger door frame. Glad to see it being worked on, but don't think it'll be done by tomorrow.

We'll see!

-Mike
Sponsored links
Old 05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 club
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Electric Blue
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:210
sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

autozone has the wide pinstripe in black/silver, it is a wide black/wide silver with narrower black and narrower silver about 1/2 wide total +/- if thats what youre looking for? I was just looking at it yesterday.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:23 PM

sonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura aboutsonocativo has a spectacular aura about

Paint... yeah, gotta do the prep correctly, the paint is only as good as what it is applied to... Here is my thread if you want to check it out from the start to finnish of the paint job...
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87159
Page 3 has the truck together
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91767
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
Paint... yeah, gotta do the prep correctly, the paint is only as good as what it is applied to... Here is my thread if you want to check it out from the start to finnish of the paint job...
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=87159
Page 3 has the truck together
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=91767
Very nice work! Pretty color too!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM

The color is a Chrysler 2004 Electric Metallic Blue, was only used on the cars so there will never be another truck this color unless it was custom painted. I have seen other rams close to this color but not the same color, think its deep water blue from factory. I am going to try to install my sunroof this weekend. But of course I have to work on the step daughters cavalier to make everyone happy and now she wants a sunroof too.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonocativo View Post
The color is a Chrysler 2004 Electric Metallic Blue, was only used on the cars so there will never be another truck this color unless it was custom painted. I have seen other rams close to this color but not the same color, think its deep water blue from factory. I am going to try to install my sunroof this weekend. But of course I have to work on the step daughters cavalier to make everyone happy and now she wants a sunroof too.
Heck I'd like a sunroof! Good work! Very cool!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM

Truck is painted!

Went by the paint shop at lunch and it was sitting outside. It looks tons better, or it will when I put the grill and trim back on it and pinstripe it.

That said, it IS a $300 paint job. It has quite a few dips, blups, and one run in it on the bed. There is also one area on the hood that has a good smudge in it. You get what you pay for, and again it looks a ton better.

That said, Mike gave me the keys and told me to take the truck for the weekend, put it back together, make a note of any areas I'm not happy with, and then he wants me to drop it back off next Tuesday after the paint hardens some more, and they will sand and buff it for me. I'm cool with that.

So here's some painted pics. Will post more after I get it back together. The square things on the tops of the fenders above the headlights are the velcro for the bug guard eyebrows. Such fun.

Here's the pin stripes I'm about to replace. Notice in the second pic it's half missing in spots

And here's the very faded-out upper front bumper....I could not tell if it was originally green or grey.....regardless the new black one will be one in my next pics, and the new fog lights I hope!

Got lots of work planned for tomorrow on it!

-Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Ok here's the latest novel gang. Stayed up LATE Friday night and then spent pretty much all day Saturday on the Ram. It looks tons better!

Friday night after work I picked up the truck and got right on it. Got the new pin stripes installed, got the grill and bug guard back on, and also installed the new black bumper cap and tail gate protector. Dusted the truck off and MAN it looked sharp.
BUT at near midnight I started it up to go run to 7-11 for a drink and driving to the store heard a loud rattling under the truck. Got back home and let the truck cool down. While it was cooling down I removed the stock horn and replaced it with a Bad Boy Air-Blast train horn (hahah). It's LOUD!

That done, and truck cooled off, I climbed under and started banging stuff....looking for the rattle. Found it....the catalytic converter rattled like mad. DOH!! That's a brand new issue, it had been totally quiet since I got the truck running.

Sacked out at 2am, set my alarm for 6:30am and was at Taylor Muffler when they opened at 8am. So here's weekend surprise #1!

They made me a deal, and I now have a big free-flow cat, Flowmaster 40-series muffler running dual pipes with big chrome tips under the rear bumper. It's LOUD, a little louder than it maybe should be for someone my age, but my son Eddie LOVES it...and even my countryfied wife laughed when I started it up for her. The truck really rumbles now!

After draining my wallet on exhaust, I ran down to Pep Boys and picked up a little more pin striping, I ran out before finishing the hood.....took 45-feet of stripes to do that truck, no joke! Also got some touch up paint for the silver...that turned out to be too dark and have too much metallic in it....oh well.

Now here's weekend surprise #2. I started the truck up in the Pep Boys lot, and even over the exhaust rumble I heard a loud hissing sound from under the hood... I think the truck is cursed. The idle air control module, a part I'd already replaced, failed (Duralast from Autozone). Dangit!

The IAC module varies the amount of air going into the intake to help the truck keep a proper idle, and compensate for air conditioning. Happily the truck still ran fine, just sounded like it had a huge vaccum leak under the hood.

Got home and popped the hood, and finished with the stripes while the engine cooled. Then I pulled off the intake air box, removed the failed IAC module, dug up my receipt and headed for Autozone. They swapped it right out, I went home, installed the new one, and it was as bad as the one I just took off! Doh!

I removed the latest IAC module, then went to Advance and spent $5 more to buy a BG-brand IAC. Put it on and it was worlds better. Went and got my money back at Autozone. I will say the BG module still hisses at some low idle speeds, less so when the a/c is off, and I can also hear it around 40mph sometimes. It MAY just be a Chrysler thing...but I have read that going with a Mopar part...while a lot more expensive, may help. Will think about doing that later....for now it's a lot better and runs fine.

Saturday night I pulled out wax and did the silver sides and lower green paint, and then got after the exterior plastics with Armour All. Truck GLOWS now.
Ended the evening by pulling out my folding chair and putting it in the grass under the trees, then started up the engine and sat down to look at my sparkling truck and listen to burble through it's big chrome pipes. Man it sounds so GOOD now. Ha!

Took the family to Outback for Mother's Day in the truck. Misty actually asked if she could take the truck to work sometime this week. She loves it! Ha! I did NO car work on Sunday, had a good day with the family. Hope you guys all had a good holiday and called your Moms!

Here's the latest pics, with some before-and-after's added.

Stripes Before:

Stripes After:

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Hood Before:

Hood After, along with new black upper bumper trim:

Roof Before:

Roof After:

Lastly I had not posted a pic of the new steering wheel. Found this on a Durango. Leather is in great shape and rim is thicker than the original one on the Ram. Bolt-on easy!

The fog lights are still in shipping (and man the old ones really stand out and look CRAPPY now with all the other work done!), and the new black tailgate emblems are also not in yet. I also still need to re-paint the door mirrors, wiper arms, and door handles Satin Black...and want to have those two panels on the driver's seat replaced and the seat padding built up a bit, but it's amazing how far this truck has come in the month I've had it.

The truck is going back to the body shop tomorrow to have the hood wet-sanded and buffed, but I pretty much got everything else back together.
Will post a few more pics once the paint is buffed, fog lights are installed, and black decals are on the tail gate.

Almost there!!

-Mike

Last edited by 81X11; 05-15-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:50 PM

Make sure to let them know the pin stripes are new so they dont tear them off with the buffer. after a few weeks baking in the sun they will be stuck on for life...lol
Truck turned out really good, doesnt take alot to make drastic improvements. If I end up keeping mine I have more plans for it ( sunroof, dual exhaust, airbrushings ) but its all cosmetics/show... although I am needing economy/comfort...lol