DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:309
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Checl your other thread, and this may sound stupid, but make sure you have enough oil in it...

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Sport Ram Hood
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:516
Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

I "MIGHT" have found the issue. It only happens when shes warm. Park and drive. I don't hear it when driving though, its only when stopped. It might still be making the noise, but I don't hear it due to everything else

I recently had some exhaust work done, new magnaflow Y pipe put in last summer. They only clamped the thing because I am getting more work done this summer when the moneys around.

I had her in the garage, started it, rolled under her and noticed water (condensation) spitting out of 3 out of the 4 clamps they put on. I put my hand near the joint and I felt a strong push of constant air.
So I was thinking maybe when the exhaust got to a certain temp, she started to expand, let more air out (possibly), and ting??

WELL, this issue is causing me to lose back-pressure and POSSIBLY make that sound. I am not 100% sure yet, I took her for a drive and heard nothing. But like I said, it comes when It wants, not when I want it lol

So 1/2 drive to town to grab new clamps and some red high temp gasket sealer. I sealed all my joints and installed new clamps. No air leaks now, and she sounds a bit more throatier.

But I will keep everyone in touch if the sound is still around if I hear it.

Last edited by Bordin; 05-09-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
testiclops is on a distinguished road

Since temperature is a factor it could be the heat shield in your cat converter.

I had a cracked heat shield in a past vehicle that would make a sound similar to what you're describing. Would only occur at certain temperatures when idle. I think the pressure from the airflow made it so it didn't vibrate while traveling fast.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Bordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of lightBordin is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by testiclops View Post
Since temperature is a factor it could be the heat shield in your cat converter.

I had a cracked heat shield in a past vehicle that would make a sound similar to what you're describing. Would only occur at certain temperatures when idle. I think the pressure from the airflow made it so it didn't vibrate while traveling fast.
Thanks everyone for the help and things to watch out for.

Ill definitely keep my ears open to see if the sounds still around, than if it is. I think its time to lose the cats?? lol
Old 05-09-2012, 04:20 PM

SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordin View Post
I think its time to lose the cats?? lol

It's one of the first mods on all my vehicles. It works better if you pull the y off and take it to an exhaust shop and have the cats replaced with pipes and not just hallowed out

You'll thank yourself for it in the end. Nothing sounds or smells better than a cat less v8 rumble

1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 05-09-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
It's one of the first mods on all my vehicles. It works better if you pull the y off and take it to an exhaust shop and have the cats replaced with pipes and not just hallowed out

You'll thank yourself for it in the end. Nothing sounds or smells better than a cat less v8 rumble
I would lose some backpressure removing the cats though wouldn't I?

I am no exhaust expert but removing back pressure takes away from your bottom end won't it?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 PM

I've never had removing cats really affect too much. Your usually "normal" by 1500 rpm. To be honest those stock log style manifolds are so restrictive I doubt it would make a difference!! If you hallow the cata and not test pipe them you will for sure notice a loss because as soon as it comes out of the manifold it would have an expansion chamber and slow down instantly

Old 05-09-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
I've never had removing cats really affect too much. Your usually "normal" by 1500 rpm. To be honest those stock log style manifolds are so restrictive I doubt it would make a difference!! If you hallow the cata and not test pipe them you will for sure notice a loss because as soon as it comes out of the manifold it would have an expansion chamber and slow down instantly
Well I think next days off Im off to the muffler shop, thanks again for spending my money lol

Your rig sounds wicked btw man, saw your video
Old 05-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
testiclops is on a distinguished road

going to straight pipe it or what? What are the laws in Ontario regarding that? Some provinces (BC at least) require it for emission laws.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordin View Post
Well I think next days off Im off to the muffler shop, thanks again for spending my money lol

Your rig sounds wicked btw man, saw your video
Thanks man, it's really mainly the cats and headers lol. All the mufflers I have do is lower the tone about an octave.

Be careful, exhaust mods are like LED mods when you get to this level. I put nearly 10 exhaust setups on my camaro in 18 months chasing the sound I was lookin for lol