DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2500 & 1500 laramies
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Stone White / Silver
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
pcasso87 is on a distinguished road
Default 2500 Purchase need advice!!

Hey guys its been a while since ive posted, but im about to buy a 2500 laramie longhorn to replace my 1500.

MSRP IS 60,900 and my dealer is willing to cut the price down to 54,000. I was wondering what type of discounts are you guys seeing when you purchased your 2500's is the 6k discount great or should i bargain for more? Please help im thinking about purchasing this monday.

Specs on the truck:

2012 Laramie Longhorn Crew normal bed 4X4 Cummins with nav

BTW: I drove the f250 king ranch and sierra 2500HD and they have nothing on the ram. The ram feels like a much better built truck all over plus the handling is a lot better than the other 2. And dont get me stated on interior quality Ram beats them badly.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

I'm very interested in what 2500 owners tell you. This is what I've always been told. Take the dealer invoice price and subtract all available dealer incentives. This is a fair price. If you buy it for less than this, you got a good deal. Pay more than this and you overpaid.
Also you can check EBay Motors and look at the "buy it now" prices on similar vehicles for a reference point.
Old 05-13-2012, 06:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:213
candy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura aboutcandy08 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasso87 View Post
Hey guys its been a while since ive posted, but im about to buy a 2500 laramie longhorn to replace my 1500.

MSRP IS 60,900 and my dealer is willing to cut the price down to 54,000. I was wondering what type of discounts are you guys seeing when you purchased your 2500's is the 6k discount great or should i bargain for more? Please help im thinking about purchasing this monday.

Specs on the truck:

2012 Laramie Longhorn Crew normal bed 4X4 Cummins with nav

BTW: I drove the f250 king ranch and sierra 2500HD and they have nothing on the ram. The ram feels like a much better built truck all over plus the handling is a lot better than the other 2. And dont get me stated on interior quality Ram beats them badly.
Are you sure you drove the other 2 diesels?? I'm in the same boat as you about to upgrade. Friday I also drove a 12 f250 King Ranch, 12 GMC 2500 Denali and 12 Ram 2500 Laramie (no brokeback Laramie)....all were the diesel flavor obviously! Just asking I felt the Ram was my last choice for powertrain, but neck and neck with Ferd on the interior. Ill prolly be going Ferd, want the GMC just for that badass powertrain but I can't get over the horrid interior. What'd you think about the ctd?
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

I was in the market for a diesel myself back in March when I purchased my 12 1500. Was looking at a factory lifted 4x4 2500, not fully loaded, and was MSRP at around 56-57. My dealer was giving me a, before TTL, price of 46,315. I thought it was a good price myself, and ALMOST got it. REMEMBER March was truck month for us in Texas. I will add that I heard a commercial Friday afternoon that they were offering up to 14k off Ram truck series that kind of tanned my hide... But decided I would never take my truck off road where I live. Having a lifted truck would kind of be a downfall as I have to take clients from the airport to hotels/out to eat for business conversations etc. It would be rude to make men/women in dresses and suites to have to climb in and out of a lifted 2500. Me being young, and needing to focus on my business more than picking up chicks in a really nice truck decided for my age, my business needs, I just needed a crew cab, with a nice interior that would give a "Texas Gentlemen" vibe for said business clients, friends, and family. Also I didn't COMPLETELY blow any of my hard earned cash on something I truly didnt need.

Either way, I think you should shop around. As that is a nice bit of cash off, but I think you can do better on something else. Or wait a month and see what else they offer if you do not have to purchase RIGHT now.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

I got $9700 off MSRP if that helps. That was with the Chrysler Partners discount plus rebates and incentives. No other negotiation other than them throwing in nerf bars.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Just purchased my 2500 Laramie with every option except the rear DVD and MSRP was 60,460. With their rebates and some talking + a military discount they got me down to 49,900 for that truck. Big O Dodge in SC.

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 01 ram
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
rjwht93 is on a distinguished road

Bought the 2012 2500 longhorn in dec for $49450... got it through are local dealer but had to travel 350 miles to pick it up. First one they sold so made us a hell of a deal. Are family is mopar and i love the cummins. The inside is just as nice if not better than the king ranch. Has plenty of power and ride is awsome for being a cummins. Just wish fuel consumption was better but we cant have everything.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: 2500 & 1500 laramies
Trim Level: Laramie 4x4
Color: Stone White / Silver
pcasso87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy08 View Post
Are you sure you drove the other 2 diesels?? I'm in the same boat as you about to upgrade. Friday I also drove a 12 f250 King Ranch, 12 GMC 2500 Denali and 12 Ram 2500 Laramie (no brokeback Laramie)....all were the diesel flavor obviously! Just asking I felt the Ram was my last choice for powertrain, but neck and neck with Ferd on the interior. Ill prolly be going Ferd, want the GMC just for that badass powertrain but I can't get over the horrid interior. What'd you think about the ctd?
Well ill start off with some bullet point cons and pros and explain why i liked the ram better overall.

King ranch F250 Pros:
-Power
-Dash Layout
-Sync System
-Tail Gate System to climb on board
-Onboard Computer
-Quiet Engine

Cons:
-Steering feel is horrible too soft
-The worst brakes ever!!! A car cut me off during the testdrive and it was far away i had to slam on the brakes to slow the monster down and even doing that it did not seem to slow down fast enough.
-Cheap dash materials
-Ugly and cheap headliner felt like something out of an old grand marquis.
-Ugly fake woodgrain i like the laramies aluminum and wood grain combo better.
-Interior is too Tacky and too busy i felt like i was sitting in a horse
-Suspension felt too soft
-SO SO MPG'S

Sierra Denali Pros:

-Rides smooth
-Quiet
-Feels like it has more power down low.
-Transmission had less aggressive engagement which i liked.
-Interior quality was better than the fords
-IMO more elegant looking of the bunch

Cons:

- Quality inside was good though it lacked luxury i could not tell the difference from a regular sierra to the denali version.
-MPG'S were bad
-Worst interior layout out of the 3
-Body panels felt weaker than both dodge and ford.

RAM 2500 LONGHORN Pros:

-Feels the lightest of the bunch
-Body Panels felt the best quality out of the bunch.
-Best handling by far, it has the roughest suspension but that made it handle a lot better and i liked it.
-Felt more capable powertrain wise everything from the transmission to engine feels solid.
-Best interior quality out of the bunch, the dash materials are superior.
-Drives very similar to my ram 1500 and that is a good thing.
-Leather on the ram lasts a long time my 1500's leather is in perfect condition after 70k miles i had a f150 lariat and the leather started to look bad at around 30k miles.
-Best MPG'S out of the bunch i drove them in the same areas the same way and the ram's computer averaged 23 mpgs.
-Best steering feedback out of the bunch
-Cummins reliability
-Best price fully equipped
-Better brakes out of the 3

Cons:

-A bit of turbo lag
-Felt the less powerful but enough for me im mainly going to be towing my 2 atv's, a yamaha boat, hauling gravel some times etc.
-Noisy engine though i like it others dont
-Worst nav system
-Interior the same as 1500's i dont know what else is wrong with the ram lol.

In conclusion i think the ram was the best choice for me out of the 3, it makes the jump to a 2500 a breeze since it feels so similar to my 1500 but everything that i hate on my 1500 is gone if i make the jump to the 2500 like the sagging rear end when towing or hauling, the heart breaking hill climb when towing, the horrid mpg's i literally get 10 MPG'S or less when towing with my hemi. I liked the ram because it handled the best of the 3, the sierra and king ranch were both too soft for my taste, i race cars so it might be why i focused on the handling more than the power. Interior felt the nicest out of the bunch as well as far as quality materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
I got $9700 off MSRP if that helps. That was with the Chrysler Partners discount plus rebates and incentives. No other negotiation other than them throwing in nerf bars.
It seems that they discount the hemis much more than the cummins even the sales guy said that, if i can walk out the door not paying over 51k on monday ill update my signature by tuesday to a 2500 lol.

Last edited by pcasso87; 05-13-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 cc1500
2012Saddle is on a distinguished road

With you living in Tx do yourself a favor and call Spring Dodge near Houston. You usually can get around 3% below invoice plus rebates. Last month I got 10-11k off on a new 1500. I drive 2 hours to this dealer and have purchased numerous vehicles with deals my local dealers can't touch. They are top 5 in the country.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Pcasso,
I think the sales climate varies by region too. In my area, they had A LOT of CTDs on the lots but very very few 2500 with Hemi. Thats understandable. But two of the 3 dealerships I dealt with were working hard to put me in a CTD and offered a flat $10K off without even negotiating. I know the 2500/hemi. is a weird and generally less desirable combo. but I think they just had so many CTDs around, they wanted to deal on them more aggressively.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear