DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
09HemiRam is on a distinguished road
Default Payload questions

My first question is, why is the max payload so low in our trucks? Can't be lack of power obviously, so is it the new coil suspension? I believe it's about 1800 for the crew cab right? My dads 05 Silverado is about 3400 I believe, granted it's an HD, but that's a pretty big gap.

And also, I'd like to go with about a 4in. lift down the road with some 35's probably, is this going to lower the payload even more? What can I do to avoid that or even increase payload if possible?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The 1/2 ton suspension isn't that beefy so I'm not surprised that it's so low. It's hard to compare the 1/2 ton suspension to the HDs since they're DESIGNED to be haulers. Ours are called full sized light trucks for a reason. The new coil suspension does play a part in the lower capacity but I can't see it being that big of one since they're still supposed to be a light work truck.
Installing a 4" lift shouldn't affect the capacity since they're designed to take off-road abuse.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
The 1/2 ton suspension isn't that beefy so I'm not surprised that it's so low. It's hard to compare the 1/2 ton suspension to the HDs since they're DESIGNED to be haulers. Ours are called full sized light trucks for a reason. The new coil suspension does play a part in the lower capacity but I can't see it being that big of one since they're still supposed to be a light work truck.
Installing a 4" lift shouldn't affect the capacity since they're designed to take off-road abuse.
That makes sense. I was questioning the lift kit because I figured the shocks and springs would probably be softer right? Wouldn't that cause more sag with a heavier load? I could probably suffice with a leveling kit that raises the back a little as well if a full lift would cause any problems.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

You can always install helper bags.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
You can always install helper bags.
Ah, that's right. I remember hearing about them a while ago. They actually work and don't screw anything up? Ride, handling, etc?
Old 11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
I push the skinny pedal

They don't affect the ride at all. They simply raise the bed up from the frame so you have full travel of your suspension and don't hit the bump stops; at least that's how my F-350's set up; there may be other ways but that's the only one I know personally.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

What about this 5" bodylift/level kit combo that keeps the stock suspension? Will something like this lose, gain or maintain payload? Also, is it going to potentially cause anything to wear out prematurely?

http://www.performanceaccessories.co...body-lifts.pdf
Old 11-08-2009, 05:48 PM
erm

That kit won't help with payload but it does get it up in the air. Since it's not a suspension lift, there's no issues maintaining proper pinion angle at all 4 ends of your driveshafts.

Body lifts are a bit of work to install and you'll have all kinds of wires and hoses that will need to be extended.

With a suspension lift of a comparable size, you don't have as many lines and wires to lengthen except for the brake lines (I'm going with a longer set of braided stainless steel lines) but you do have to make sure the pinion angles are set properly.

With a suspension lift and some helper bags at the rear, you get the lift with less complications and a way to level out the truck when the load gets heavy in the back.

Your payload rating would not suffer with a suspension lift. It may actually improve, depending on the spring rates with a set of add a leafs in the back.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge ram 1500
Color: Red
Rep:74
ramit04 will become famous soon enough

i pulled they payload out today and lowered my truck
Old 11-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
iRockCrawler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post

Your payload rating would not suffer with a suspension lift. It may actually improve, depending on the spring rates with a set of add a leafs in the back.
add a leaf may be difficult to install on a coil spring suspension

I was also wondering about that.. I want to lift the truck but the whole purpose of buying a truck was to trailer my jeep to the trails.. still need to be able to pull the jeep if I lift it..