DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram
Trim Level: sport fully loaded
Color: charcoal grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:108
chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough
Default warranties on lift kits

hi guys, i been thinking of lifting my truck, i called my dealer inquiring about this and they told me it would void my warranty. i even asked them if i bought the mopar 4" lift if they would cover that and they still said no.... i have friends that bought their trucks from the same dealer with a lift installed and they had no problem. is this normal or is my dealership giving me the run around. i love my truck but i am very dis appointed with this
Old 05-12-2012, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 2012
Rep:13
pogster is on a distinguished road

When you install this Mopar lift kit should any other modifications be done to keep geometry correct so it doesn't cause other problems? A warranty issue may boil down to was the modification done properly. Generally if the part you install causes another part or parts to fail the failed parts are not covered by warranty. The warranty is not voided simply because you installed something unrelated. As an example a water pump failure is totally unrelated to the lift and would be covered by warranty.

Have your friends had to have any warranty work done because the parts they installed caused failure to other parts?

Last edited by pogster; 05-12-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM

chadster21 will become famous soon enoughchadster21 will become famous soon enough

one of them has been back to get the lift tightened and they did it for free... i think my service manager is just being an ass
Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Rep:25
shadango is on a distinguished road

Agree with what Pogster posted....

A lift shouldn't affect warranty of unrelated items....interior parts, door hinges, etc..... but things like suspension, u joints, etc it might since the lift is changing the factory specs for those items. If you install big wheels and tires with the lift, you can forget about warranty covering wheel bearings, for instance (been there, done that once). But if the A/C compressor goes bad you would be covered.

The thing is, you open yourself up to a lot of "could be affected by the lift" guessing when something goes wrong....for instance....you get a whine developing in the rear end.....or the tranny goes out.....could be that the added stress from your big wheels/tires did it...regardless of if the lift was done right or not and by whom.

I think that our Rams looks kick-@$$ with lifts but I wont be lifting mine because as much as I would love to, I need the warranty coverage to stay in effect as long as it can....

I have heard that some dealers will work with you and some will not....since if they cant get Chrysler to cover the cost for a warrantied repair they have to eat it. And they dont like that much.

As for that dealer tightening the lift kit they installed for your friend? Well, yeah....they installed the kit...they SHOULD make it right.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough
Default warranties(joke)!

I've been down the complaint road with the people at chrysler & the dealership due to paint issues & a dent that came from chrysler. Let's just say I was left holding mine. They have the worst customer service policy I've ever dealt with. I also had an issue w/ the interior. There was a piece of plastic on the center console that didn't match the rest. It was dark brown & the rest of the console is tan. I went to another dealership after I had noticed it during one of my lengthy detail sessions. They treated me much better & I didn't even buy my truck from them. Chrysler since I've been dealing with them has given me nothing but wish washy answers to all of my quite legitimate questions. So my convoluted run on answer or tip to you sir is this. Ask your self why would a manufacturer install lifts & sell the truck w/ , w/out them but when you wish to buy the truck w/ out a lift & then use a mopar lift from chrysler on your chrysler truck would they not cover you. There's this b.s. law in regards to warranties that quote on quote leaves the burden of proof on the manufacturer to determine if the mod created the failure or if the original equip failed. Good luck on them copping to it being their fault. I'll tell you what chrysler told me w/ my situation. & I quote " since the dealer (riverhead dodge ny) is satisfied w/ the repairs made then so are we"... Complete joke right. In the end just lift it, i plan on lifting mine some day. Chryslers gonna shaft you on the warranty any ways. The only difference is you'll be driving a lifted truck to your liking till something fails & they shaft you on the repair versus a bone stock truck that's just not how you want it & then they shaft you.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM

yes thats very true... either way the lift is ordered
Old 05-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: CC Sport
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
98Chop is on a distinguished road

I think it's pretty much up to the dealer... Before I bought mine I asked the question about lifting and/or lowering. They told me they have no issues with either as long as it wasn't excessive. They told me they would have no issues with a 2"/4" drop or up to a 4" lift. The dealer I bought from has an excellent service department....