DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Suspension 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road
Exclamation runaway dodge!

Ok this honestly isn't my first dodge to do this. Now my Dakota that I had did it and it cost me $2,000. In damages. But this is it. Dose anyone know how to fix parking brake creap! Expecially when back of the truck is going down hill. My 01 doses this and now it will go on a walk about on it's own facing down hill. Now I was hoping I can fix both problems at same time.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I realize that the parking brake should hold however I've never trusted it when parking on a hill, automatic or manual I would always leave it in park for auto or in gear for a manual. IDK
Old 12-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Most of the times it's in gear. But if I want it to warm up this is when it's an issue. And it's no fun to start your truck and then it's in the street.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:72
RayK will become famous soon enough

Adjust the parking brake. If that doesn't work, you could carry a set of chocks used for aircraft when they are parked.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: Tradesman
Color: Mineral greay
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:81
Sixfive will become famous soon enough

My grandfather cut a broom handle to fit between the break pedal and seat on his 88 ram with a 4speed so he could warm it up in the winter, truck was new and the parking break wouldn't hold very well
Old 12-09-2014, 10:56 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:194
Lazarus Truck has a spectacular aura aboutLazarus Truck has a spectacular aura about

A properly functioning parking brake is essential to the proper adjustment of the rear brake shoes. If your parking-brake works, you should use it at least once a week. This adjusts the shoes better than the "backing-up" and "hitting the brakes" method. I have seen MANY 2G Rams that get 30k on a set of front pads, and have "like-new" rear shoes at 100k miles.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:29 AM

The back pads are like new. They do need ajustments but the rod is frozen. And I do use it every day I just try to make sure that the nose of the truck is down hill. But that's not what I'm looking for I just wanted to see if anyone has cured the creep so I can fix it all at once.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:25 AM

Vehicle: 1492 Santa Maria
Color: Hot pink
Engine: 1981-1987 225ci (3.7L) Slant-6 95hp
Rep:135
HoustonHemi will become famous soon enoughHoustonHemi will become famous soon enough

'rod frozen',,, Hmmm

When applying the PB, does it nearly bottom out or can ya get a good stomp on it with a good amount of pedal travel left over?

I don't have any first hand experience on the truck you have, but other brands with drum rears benefit in both stopping power and Pbrake strength when adjusted correctly.

Had a 2000 Chevy 1 ton with some reasonably beefy rear drums,,, Replaced front pads many times before the rears wore down.

Checked the adjusters,,, everything was free/working properly.

Basically got to the point that I would occasionally crawl under it and tighten up the rears a bit beyond what the 'auto adjustment' system did. (I was using the Pbrake frequently as well)

The truck certainly stopped stronger/better that way as the rear brakes were engaging quicker.

Pbrake pedal was higher when engaged as well.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:17 AM

I've had truck 3 years and it has always used full travel. And good shoes, proper ajustment and used every day (it's a manual ). Now some replacement is needed (frozen ajustment rod) and I'm hoping to clean up on the rolling back if truck is parked up hill. This has always been an issue with both of my manual dodge's. The dakota was from new, my 01 from day one. So it's just annoying to me that I have to think ok how can I park my truck just in case it pops out of gear and I'm parked the wrong way and damage other people's stuff along with my own. I was lucky the last time my truck poped out it missed everything but the guard rail that kept it from plummeting 5 ft into a busy street. So costly yes, pride scared, yes. Truck totaled, yes but no one hurt priceless. I wish not to repeat, definitely. It's also a little emberising when you're working on something and your wife asks you why did you move your truck. And you look it's half way in the street.

Last edited by ramfam; 12-10-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:39 PM

So no anyone been able to salve the problem with there truck rolling back wards with parking brake applied?