DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
PteJack is on a distinguished road

I hate bumping an old thread like this, but I said I'd update this when I heard back from the dealership...

Still Waiting!!

I got a call around the end of Sept from the salesman and was told to expect a call from the sales manager again...

Oh well, I guess they're happy they got their money up front.
Sponsored links
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Stickers add Horsepower

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT 4x4
Color: Silver/ Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:2778
Canadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian Hemi Pride has a reputation beyond repute

My Neighbour hauls a 36 foot Heartland Cyclone fifthwheel Toy Hauler with his massive Victory motorcycle in the back, tons of shit in it, in a 2012 3500 Laremie with single's on the back. Hauls it all around to the states and where ever. The only problem he has had towing it, is he can't back it up to save his life.

My dads 08 F350 (single cab, long box with single rears) has hauled That identical trailer (Heartland Big Horn) hundreds of times... Seeing as he controls an RV dealership and it carries heartland products. There are customers who haul 40 feet Toy hauler fifth wheels with dodge 3500 with duelies.. But that is very strange.

Also I have noticed that single tires do get a better tow rating then duelies. Your tow capacity will go down with 4x4 slightly... and then you got box sizes, cab sizes.. very annoying shit.

Another note-- We had a customer that bought a 40 foot fifth wheels for him and his wife, in an 09 3500 RWD single rears, and they have drove it all across north america, and the only issue he had that he solved was he got air bags installed... His first time ever hauling a trailer, he drove it from ontario to texas.. and decided down there to get them.

Dragonmaster and Brad12kx are also right.
Tow mirrors up for all the haters
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: White
23satd5 is on a distinguished road

Have been running 3500 drw since 1998, I run truck, trailer, boat when fully loaded, 27,500 lbs with 12,600 on the truck that had a 12,000 gvwr, but the individual axle was not overloaded as the total of the 2 axles excedes the gvwr on the truck as the manufacturers have a safety factor when they rate vehicles. And as previously stated the dealer won't weigh everything you are pulling and the specific loading of the trailer can change drastically by the amount placed in the rear if hitch weight is a concern.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 6.4 Hemi; traded 2013 CTD
Trim Level: Laramie Crew 4x4
Rep:139
HorseMan will become famous soon enoughHorseMan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PteJack View Post
I hate bumping an old thread like this, but I said I'd update this when I heard back from the dealership...

Still Waiting!!

I got a call around the end of Sept from the salesman and was told to expect a call from the sales manager again...

Oh well, I guess they're happy they got their money up front.
What did you ever decide to do about a camper? I've got a 2013 1500 Longhorn on order, but I'm considering a 13 SRW 3500. Tow a little horse trailer and anticipate a camper in near future. I'm always overkill on tow vehicles. Curious how you came out...

Great thread by the way guys! I read the entire dialogue. Great information.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
PteJack is on a distinguished road

Well gang, sorry it's been so long since I've posted, but it's taken this long to ALMOST resolve the situation.

So what has transpired during the last 23 months.

Well, I never did get any response to my question from the dealership, so in February we allowed an RV dealership to hook us up with a Columbus 320RS fifth wheel. We were guaranteed that despite the additions we had installed at the factory that they would never put us into a unit that our TV would not support. Guess what!!! I initially weight the unit and found that I had over 10,00lbs on the drive axles (wait for it, it was a bad weigh), I reopened dialogue with the dealership and with Ram Corporate. There isn't a 1 ton that will take that kind of weigh and I was told that it was probably a bad weighing in the forums I frequent, Sure enough the actual weight was only 6220lb on the drive axles, but, that's 20lbs over the RAWR, the GVW was 11140 (1000+lbs over the 10100 GVWR) and the CVW was 21340, (340lbs over the GCVWR) So I reinitialized dialogue with the dealership. (Ram Corporate Customer Service was of no help what-so-ever: "Sorry sir, but you'll have to take this back to the dealership, we have no information on 5thWheel towing!!") Now with actual weights, the dealership sprang into action, I have nothing but respect for the salesman and the sales manager, they did there all to helps us and we came to an agreement on a brand new 3500 Longhorn Dually, of which I am to take procession of tomorrow after the PDI is complete.

Now for the new conundrum... I had made arrangements to transfer my Reese 20K 5th Wheel slider hitch from the 2011 to the 2013 Longhorn. I took my truck down to the hitch shop to find out if the rails could be removed and transferred. The tech was pleased to see the way the original hitch company had installed my hitch and told me there would be no problem transferring the hitch... UNTIL... I told him that the new truck had the new underbed mounting system. EVERYTHING changed, I was told that there was a solution and that it would cost around $800 to do the transfer. Fine!! What has to be done, has to be done. So I left to register the new vehicle and took my plates back to the Ram Dealership. I stopped at the parts counter to see if Morpar had a hitch solution, after all, if I can get something that is OEM and cheaper, why not. I was told quickly there was nothing quickly available, that the mounting system was under restriction and had to be VIN specifically ordered and that there was nothing on the jobber market to do the job. I explained that I had just been to a hitch company and I was having the hitch transferred tomorrow. The Accessories manager quickly called the hitch company as there are a few more in the same boat I'm in throughout the dealership and wanted to tap into the solution. By the time I had returned to the dealership, the hitch company had found out that their solution was not compatible with the 2013 Ram system. What the frig is going on here?? When is this lunacy going to end??? Now I'm stuck with over $150K of brand new equipment I can't use for the purpose I bought it. I took this to the Sales Manager (who thought I was happy and he was finally rid of me!!) In disbelief, he immediately took this back to the parts department only to find out what I had told him was in fact true. He has acted on this and I am now waiting to find out what the solution for this problem is!!! I am SO frickin' annoyed.

I cannot fricking believe that Ram changed a product without taking into consideration that there are no parts out there to satisfy demand required for the change to be effective. That they would change a product to the point of making it totally useless for the purpose they are being bought because they didn't have the insight that the changes might render the client base equipment not transferrable to the new product.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: '12 ram 3500
Trim Level: laramie limited
Color: mineral grey
Rep:29
scrappy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne View Post
The reason your single rear wheel is rated to tow more than a dually is simple really. It fly's in the face of logic until you really think about it.

Picture your SRW with 2k on it, the tire is bubbled a little right? What happens when you apply turning force (TQ) to the wheel? It creates friction. Bu adding a second rear wheel to each side, you INCREASE friction, and therefore resistance. That resistance is what makes a difference in your towing capacity. All other things being equal, it comes down to, your SRW isnt turning 4 tires with a crapload of weight on them, it only has to turn 2. The reason's why many people run dually's eludes me, in most cases it is not nessecary. The only time you REALLY need a dually, is if most/all of your weight is centered over the axle, for the stability. Anyone who has hauled around a bed camper in a SRW and then hauled a camper in a DRW will tell you its night and day. It might feel better towing with a DRW, but when towing, DRW can actually hurt, not help.
You are way overthinking this, the SRW can pull more because it weights LESS, the difference in towing capacity is weight of the dual rear wheels with all else being equal. in that case something other than the wheels & tires are the limiting factor. one of my previous truck was a 3/4 ton ram and was the same way, it could pull MORE that the 3500 dually but couldn't carry as much. the only difference between the 2 were the dual wheels. it is true that there is more friction with 2 additional tires BUT it will NEVER be enough to make a SRW be better towing than a dually! the stability of a dually is better ALL the time! my current truck is a dually and I can also tell you it is more stable even empty that my SRW was. the only time the duals are a disadvantage is due to sheer size and expense replacing tires!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:20
Warthog Fixer is on a distinguished road
Default Keep forcing the issue!

PteJack, don't stop and don't accept what you know won't work! I'm looking pretty deep into this issue myself. I'm thinking the 3500's are right on the edge of being enough to do the job for the retirement trailers I'm looking at as well. Meaning a 41'+ 5th Wheel toy hauler with 2-3 slides. So i'm looking that the RAM Chassis trucks 4500 & 5500 series. You can't get ALL the bells and whistles, but they'll pull your house off it's foundations and get you 12+MPG to boot!

Keep the faith and keep us posted!!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 3500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray
JnS RamCummins is on a distinguished road

Have found that sometimes you have to just find the right person to talk to.

Last edited by JnS RamCummins; 08-08-2013 at 03:15 PM.