DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
dstone84 is on a distinguished road
Default First New Set of Tire For 2010 Dodge Ram

My 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 has about 30 K miles on it and is due for a new set of tires. Currently it has stock GoodYear HP Owl 275/60/20 on them.

Do you all think I should go with the same tire or try something else. I have read some pretty bad reviews about the HP Owl. Also last year I had to replace a flat so I just went with the stock. So I really only need 3 new tires.

Can anyone recommend a good 275/60/20 tire? If possible I really don't want to spend more than $180 total a tire.
Sponsored links
Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Mango Tango
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:98
MangoTangoMofo will become famous soon enough

Any LT rated tire would be better then the stock goodyears that came with your RAM... yet that all depends on how you use your truck. I usually buy used tires with minimal wear because you can get great treads for cheap. A great all around tire is the BFG AT.

5x11x22 Magnaflow with a resonator delete // Rough Country 2.5F&1.75R level kit // 17 XD Cranks // 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT's // Air Lift 1000 // Armor Thane bed liner // Century Ultra Sport Canopy // Yakima Roof Rack // Mopar side steps // Custom Browning Mudflaps
Old 04-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
dstone84 is on a distinguished road

I just use the truck for everyday use going to work and getting around town. I live in Georgia so there is rarely any snow or ice. I really don't go off roading any. Do you all think it is a big deal that I would have 3 new tires and 1 older tire?
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

Cooper Discoverer H/t plus are right around the same price as a good year. I have never used them but the good years are terrible mine didn't even stay on my 13 past the year drive. There is a web site I use called tires-easy.com and they have all the tires and prices. I have ordered from them and they have good service but a lot of time I find the tire I want and print out the page and try and see how close the local shops can get.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Unless you haul or pull a fair amount of weight on a regular basis, you really don't need an LT tire. An Lt tire will stiffen your ride a little, possibly cost you a little fuel economy, and they are pretty expensive compared to tires with lower load ranges.

I would advise you to do thorough research about the stock Wrangler HPs before even considering going back with them. All you are likely to find is bad reviews. Everyone hates them, lol. Based on your location and the type of driving you do I would second the recommendation of the Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus. I read a ton of positive reviews on them before putting them on my truck about a month ago. They are still new obviously but I love them. So smooth and quiet! Not to mention they are made in the USA and are priced great. Discount Tire Direct doesn't show them online but if you call them, they can special order them. Took me about 8 days to receive them I think and I paid $163/tire with free shipping. That was the cheapest I could find them. Also, the Discoverer is an XL rated tire which means it's slightly higher load rated than a standard load tire (which I believe the Wranglers are). Here's the thread a did when I put the Discoverer's on my truck.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....30#post1063730

Oh and to answer your question...it's not going to hurt anything if you buy three new tires of a different brand to run with the new Wrangler that you have as long as you can put up with the visual and mental reminders of having one oddball tire. It may very well wear differently than the other three tires simply because it's a different tire with different characteristics but that's about it. My recommendation would be to shop around for the best deal on a new set of four and then hock that new Wrangler for whatever you can get out of it...probably $25-75 if you are lucky. You might even be able to trade it in if you end up buying your new tires at a place local to you.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 04-18-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: express rcs 2wd
Color: mineral gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:24
abouttobeglue is on a distinguished road

i put a set of cooper discover h/ts on mine about 2 months ago, very happy with them. Ride is good, slighly firmer, much better in the rain than the stock goodyears. I paid $740 out the door and its a 60k mile tire.