DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > HI-TECH Discussion

Notices

HI-TECH Discussion Web, computers, software, GPS, satellite TV, home stereos and other non-vehicle hi tech electronics.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 01-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
RedRiverRam is on a distinguished road
Default Tom Tom or Garmin Nuvi

Just bought a new 2011 Ram today. Has the 430 HU - i.e. no NAV and I want to add it, but not interested in changing out the HU. So I'm thinking either a TomTom or Garmn Nuvi.

Any opinions here on which is best - or other portable GPS's? Model specific too please. Trying to stay under $200.

Also would be interested to see where/ how you installed it. I'm not crazy about windshield mount as it's too enticing to thieves. Would prefer a more permanent install.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Nav in my Ram radio
very over rated

I can't suggest either Tom Tom or Garmin NUVI

If you get a NUVI, buy one that has LIFETIME MAPS & TRAFFIC, the price that you pay at purchase is the only price that you will ever pay
unlike the Ram radios, you have to pay $179 or more for each map upgrade, about every 3 years
then $6 a month for the Traffic plan, it is BS

The only thing different is that the Ram radios play through the speakers & the NUVI doesn't yet

If you buy a NUVI get one that reads ****LMT
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=402&pID=82600

buy it ON SALE
this is 1 time that BEST BUY has good sales prices
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 01-25-2012, 06:26 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:87
united316 will become famous soon enough

+1 for Garmin. I have one and that's what all the EMT's in my area have. I mount mine on the Little silver piece next to the tray that's just above the radio. I will post a pic of how mine is mounted when it gets light outside. as far as model Garmin 2350LMT is a good one for the price point there is another one but cant remember model number Ill update that as well when I post pic.
2011 SLT Crew Cab 4x2, 4.7, 3.55 gears, TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau, Westin Black Platinum series oval step bars, Aeroskin Hood Protector, Ventvisors In-channel smoke , Husky Liners Front ard Rear Mud Guards, K&N drop in air filter.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Rep:30
Al E. Gator is on a distinguished road

I use a Magellan with lifetime maps and traffic because it was on sale CHEAP on Amazon. If I was going for best quality unit I would buy Garmin. As said above, get lifetime maps and traffic. It's beter to pay for it up front than to pay as you go. BTW, lifetime does not mean as long as you own it, it means for as long as the manufacturer considers the unit supportable.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

My Kenwood HU has a built in garmin and i freaking love it! I wouldnt even think of trying anything else cuz if their is something better it should pry just drive my truck for me

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

I use the Magellan 1470 and absolutely love it. I'm sure there are bigger and badder units out there now, as mine is a couple of years old. I suggest looking around, decide what features that you desire, and what size screen you want. Personally I'd recommend not going smaller than the 4.7 inch screen, as the 3.5 one (in my opinion) can be hard to see.

Exco

As far as mounting goes, I mount it on the windshield when I need it, and take it in the house when I don't. If I'm out and about I'll pull it out of the mount and just leave the little suction cup thing on the windshield, putting the GPS unit itself either in my console or glove box.
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 quad cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep water blue Pearl
Rep:72
Alberto22 will become famous soon enough

I got a tom tom and had one for over ten years. They are very accurate and cheep. My newest one is the 540xxltm, tm for life time traffic and maps. It also has a download for the pesky traffic cameras at almost every red light lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-01-25_10-22-24_449.jpg (72.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-01-25_10-22-40_418.jpg (73.8 KB, 16 views)
MODS. f1 bakflip, rain guards, Mopar bug deflector, husky floor liners, chrome gas cover, westin side steps,steal craft brush guard,Piaa fog lights, painted calipers, sport hood, KENWOOD EXCELON DNX9980HD with cmos 300 camera, Magnaflow 14"
Old 01-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Color: Flame Red
Rep:41
RedRiverRam is on a distinguished road

Thanks for replies. I definitely want one with lifetime maps but good point Gator about lifetime meaning of the unit, not the operator! Agree SS4luck about the Garmin in the Kenwood - had that in my F150 but as posted above I'm not wanting to change out the HU to Kenwood or anything else, gonna stay OEM. (And even then Garmin charged for map updates!).

Look forward to your pics United when you can. Dealer noted many install GPS in that little dash pocket just above the radio but I'd like to see how. I hate having exposed cables running everywhere so I'm interested in a hard wire install.

More suggestions welcome and especially pics!

Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 04:59 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge RAM SLT HEMI
Color: BLUE
Rep:59
matt085 will become famous soon enough

tomtom go live 825. bought it recently and like it a lot. had tomtoms before and like them over other systems, very clear instructions. my new 825 has a large screen, shows fixed and mobile police radars, shows traffic jams very accurate and alternative routes to go around the traffic jams.

did not like the gps marks on my windshield because its a scummagnet plus its hard to reach the gps in my truck with the windshield beeing so far away.
thats why i moved my trinity programmer and gps to an other place. i hardwired my gps cable on the back of my sigaret lighter to keep it free, get rid of the wire, and make the gps Totally covered (when i get out of the truck i put my ballcap on the dashboard, over the gps unit with no cables sticking out).

http://www.ramforumz.com/picture.php...=425&pictureid

hope this helps!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:11 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

I use my wife's Garmin 1450 and i love it. Once i put in my HU w/ inbuilt Bluetooth then i will most likely use the Google Navi/Map App that's on my phone.

Phone Holder.