DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^he has pictures of it. I don't remember his exact member name but it's chefred or something like that. He has posted the pics of his exhaust a few times as well, so you can probably find it in a search.

What he actually has is an h pipe then a dual in single out muffler. So it's sort of like the y pipe is in the muffler. His truck runs fast. Like I said, I don't know that there's any proof that that exhaust is better than just an h pipe or just a y pipe, but like I said his truck is fast. It's a 3rd gen hemi quad cab I think he said his best time NA is like 12.9.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram QC HEMI
Trim Level: Slt
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
lastainlesssteel is on a distinguished road

Dam well I saw his exhaust and yes he does have an h pipe but its a small one i was thinking about doing something like him but with an x pipe where he has his h pipe then a dual in dual out magna flow so it would be a true dual exhaust
Old 05-24-2012, 10:12 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

yeah that would probably work well. If you get a dual in dual out muffler and have an x pipe before the muffler, do not get the muffler that has the x pipe inside it.

Just FYI though if you didn't realize, you're back to your x pipe with dual exhaust scenario. Basically the same power as the y pipe, but more expensive and more weight.

If that's what you want that's fine, but I don't know why people have this notion that they have to have "true dual" exhaust. Nothing wrong with a y pipe setup, it performs as good, and is cheaper and lighter.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 PM

I get what ur saying the reason i wanted the x pipe is cuz of the sound i just think that if you have more air going through one pipe your engine is doing more work to push it out then through two pipes but since I'm not gonna have tailpipes I'm gonna use that weight i would have towards the two pipes up in front and since I've been looking around and by what you said I couldnt find any dual in dual out muffler without the x pipe in it so im going to but the x pipe and two mufflers single in single out dropped right after the mufflers just past the cab and I would have the same weight as anyone tith cutouts and a tailpipe all the way to the back thanks now i know for sure how im going to do it thanks guys
Old 05-24-2012, 04:10 PM

That sounds like a good setup.

Just FYI about the two pipes vs one pipe. It depends on the pipe sizes, for which would perform better. Remember there are two important things, flow and velocity.

A 2.5" pipe has a cross sectional area of ~4.91 sq in. So dual 2.5" pipes have a cross sectional area of ~9.82 sq in.

A 3" pipe has a cross sectional area of ~7.07 sq in.

The dual 2.5" pipes will flow more but at a lower velocity. Which would make more power? They'd probably be about equal...but you'd need to do a before and after dyno comparison to really know for sure.

Dual 2.25" pipes would have a cross sectional area of ~7.95 sq in. I bet this would produce more power than the other two scenarios (more flow than the single 3" and more velocity than the dual 2.5" pipes.

The 3" single pipe and the dual 2.25" pipes should provide sufficient flow, so the higher velocity is a plus. If you have extensive mods like heads and cams then you'd want to step up to the 2.5" dual pipes.

The differences are not huge with power output, but they are there.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:21 AM

I got it so instead of going with 3 inch pipe I should go with 2 1/2 as thats what would run better correct
Old 05-25-2012, 12:09 PM

If you are doing dual exhaust then don't go bigger than dual 2.5" pipes.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 dodge ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Tommy is on a distinguished road

Ok, so I alread have dual flow masters, one in dual out, I'm not sure which series because they were on th truck when I bought it, would it be beneficial for me to put a new maggy y pipe on it also. It still ha the stock y pipe