DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about
Default MSD for 4th gens?

I was looking into another upgrade for the shopping list and thought about the MSD ignition systems. but the MSD web site has no info on the newer trucks. Has anybody used the blaster coils? do they offer any other products? and what kind of gains would one expect form the upgrades? I would love to install some of the coils if they work with the 4th gens.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew Cab
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:13
MF2000 is on a distinguished road

I saw some things for the Challys and Chargers, but nothing on their site for us Ram guys........yet
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500 2wd express rcsb
Trim Level: express
Color: black clear coat
Rep:10
jlibert is on a distinguished road

I thought they upgraded the coils in the "Gearz" project truck?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

I all honesty, if you do a coil 'upgrade', do it for the looks as there will be a zero performance gain. If at the same time you decide to go with the 'shorty' wires, do so with the understanding that you will likely experience some LOSS of performance. The factory ignition system is about as good as it gets, and if the shorty wires actually exhibited no performance loss what so ever, the factory would do this to save $.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-22-2012, 11:02 PM

So the MSD coils do not have a longer spark duration? I was kind of under the impression that was the point of the coils, a longer spark duration to aid in more complete combustion. but obviously I dont know much about it, thats why i am asking. it always confuses me when guys say that the stock ____ is as good as it gets. I am not saying that the stock coils arent the best we can get , but at some piont the factory has to give way to performance for dependability and economy. I am sure in almost all areas of the truck there has to be room for improvement or room to tip the scale towards performance over economy and drivability. am i wrong?
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC 6spd
Trim Level: SRT10 RC
Color: Brilliant black
Engine: 2004-2006 505ci (8.3L) Viper V10 510hp 535lb/ft
Rep:145
05ram will become famous soon enough05ram will become famous soon enough

Mopar performance crate engines use the Shorty wires so I guess there is something to them, no long wires with a carburated intake, there on the efi ones too.
2004 SRT10 RC in black, with 500+HP, B&G Stage2 PCM, K&N drop in, JMB Catless mids, JTSVP Gen1 shifter, all synthetic fluids, lots of underhood billet with a Snakeskin radiator cover from JTSHydro, LED tails, BedRug, colormatched tonneau!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The stock ignition system already uses a longer spark duration typical of that found with MSD upgrades. Since the spark trigger is already designed to do this, it is not the best trigger for MSD systems. It's kinda like telling it do something that it is designed to do without the extra input.

I can't speak for shorty wires on carburated engines, and would have to do some testing on the same to determine the effectiveness of shorty wires on those.

Both the 300C ForumZ and the Charger ForumZ have some interesting discussion on both coils and shorty wires. It is a great place to do some research on these topics.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 PM

ok cool, thanks brad