DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1443
916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of916Timmy has much to be proud of

ATS is only 2100 plus core!
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:111
TheBlackHemi will become famous soon enoughTheBlackHemi will become famous soon enough

Never heard of these guys but I found them looking around a couple months ago....
http://www.importperformancetrans.co...sion-4235.html

Or this might be an option...
http://www.black-ridge.com/transmission-controller.htm
Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3247
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Your only other 'performance' option is the ATS and it's not much better than the SharaDon one. Nobody has been able to build a bullet proof 545RFE, sadly.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram CC 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:10
2010SCRam is on a distinguished road

I haven't heard anything from Mark, the service manager, at the dealership yet so I don't know if he made contact with Denny at SharaDon yet or not. I called Andre at Edge Racing Converters and asked him if he could recommend another good 545RFE incase it goes that route. He didn't personally know of one besides SharaDon but gave me the number to a guy he said knows a lot about Dodge's but I got an answering machine when I called and didn't bother to leave a message so I still haven't talked to him. I was
reading on *************** I think it was and saw a guy talking about the ATS 545RFE
but didn't see how it ended up working out for him. I also saw somebody from SharaDon,
I assume Denny, post under the thread claiming ATS's tranny looked like a SharaDon
stage II. My SharaDon stage III overheated when new, got rebuilt and had the Edge torque converter replaced only to overheat right after I got it back. Had a dent in the transmission pan pounded out that was supposedly right at the pickup tube but it still acted funny. Flow tested the trans cooler and it flowed free. Finally had the solenoid pack
and filters replaced and it worked again but quickly overheated on a moderate 30 drive. I'm thinking that whatever is causing it to overheat is causing the other components to fail and or not work right but why is it overheating! Sorry it's late and I'm rambling cause I'm again unable to sleep thinking about my 2010 truck with 7k miles that's always
broken.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RCLB SLT 1500 Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Rep:72
catsltd will become famous soon enough

I would go with ATS for sure.

Find a installler they will warranty the work from,and get it done.
I would also call Chris at Circle-D and get a nice pro series 2600 stall.
The lower stall will help with heat.
The 4g cooling is a mess.

I would also make sure you are running a 180 stat,and if you dont have a efan get a 295 Flexalight setup for your truck.
I think the biggest problem is going to be heat with your setup.
I run a #295 fan and triple disc 3000 stall from Cirle-D and I tow in the city 18,000 pds the other day,in hot weather.
Temp are way below stock.
Give me a shout if you want.403-617-8733.Grant.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:57 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^FYI all 4th gens have an electric fan stock.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F150
Rep:44
thiggins is on a distinguished road

Might be way off base here, but isn't there a thermostat for the transmission that allows trans fluid to be pumped to the cooler after the trans is warmed up? I don't even know where that is, but if it were inside the transmission and you flow checked the cooler separately, it could still be stuck closed and cause overheating by not allowing the fluid to be pumped out to the cooler. Just an idea.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
Might be way off base here, but isn't there a thermostat for the transmission that allows trans fluid to be pumped to the cooler after the trans is warmed up? I don't even know where that is, but if it were inside the transmission and you flow checked the cooler separately, it could still be stuck closed and cause overheating by not allowing the fluid to be pumped out to the cooler. Just an idea.
Yes, I think. I've not physically taken mine apart and seen it, but looking at the blow ups in the service manual it shows a tstat for the transmssion cooling system. IIRC it's at one of the inlets to the cooler.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RCLB SLT 1500 Ram
Rep:72
catsltd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^FYI all 4th gens have an electric fan stock.
I have a 2010.
When i changed out my stock cooling system to get rid of my clutch fan,I noticed it had a electric fan thanks.

What I was trying to tell buddy was the stock setup is a pos,especially for a performance motor.

Next time you want to see some hot tranny temps just let it idle on a hot day and watch your tranny temps go up on your evic.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:50 AM

^What did you change to?

I haven't had any issues with my setup. Removed clutch fan, adjust efan settings to turn on at ~203 deg F and shut off at ~196 deg F. Also a 180 deg F tstat(although I tested it and it doesn't crack open until nearly 190 deg F). Engine temps are normally around 190-195 even in 100 deg F heat. If I sit at a light for a minute or two it'll rise a few degrees. If I sit for a long time it'll get up to where the efan kicks on and cool to where it shuts off.

Transmission temps aren't any different from stock that I've noticed. Usually around 140-150 deg F. On hot days sitting still it'll get as high as 180-190 deg F max and then cool once moving. I also have a 2800 rpm stall converter. Nothing you can do about hot temps sitting still idling, especially the transmission. Even with a fan it's still going to keep creeping up.

I've heard the v6 fan is better than the stock fan. From all the research I've done it is IDENTICAL except for the shroud. I would assume with the better shroud it'd cool better, just not sure how much better. Is it worth the ~$120 for the swap? Probably....and I'll probably do it one day.

We did 2,600 miles in the truck avg about 75mph from FL to TN then to AR and back to FL, with about 1,000-1,500 lb in the truck and even through the mountains and everything never had any cooling issues. It was also 100+ deg F the whole trip.

EDIT: Just saw you said you had a different fan. So it was an aftermarket install, correct? Didn't just bolt right up? Also saw you tow a lot of weight, so I think we are comparing apples to oranges lol, no way I could ever tow 18,000 lb with my truck. How do you figure you're towing 18,000 lbs with a ram 1500 anyway...?

Last edited by snrusnak; 08-03-2012 at 11:56 AM.