DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Drag Racing Discussion

Notices

Drag Racing Discussion Post your questions and info about how to best get these beasts down the 1320!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Rep:146
RadioFlyer will become famous soon enoughRadioFlyer will become famous soon enough

For what it's worth, your tstat is meant to warm the engine up to the specified temp to prevent it from running any cooler and that's it...nothing else, it doesn't prevent it from running hotter. If you have a 180 and it gets up to 190 degrees sitting still or towing then you need to compensate for that by means of fan cfm, shrouder, amount of water, trans cooling or what ever. Just because you have low temp tstat it doesn't mean it won't run high temps. In snrusnak's case, he would prob get the same high temps even without a tstat because the tstat is not causing the 190 temps unless it is defected. If it is a 180 tstat it should be completely open at 180 degrees. Water should be flowing 100 percent at 180 degrees and not have to wait until 190 to completely open as his test results confirmed. I would try to keep my engines temps at 180 to 185 as best as I possibly can though it will surely not hurt anything nor will it loose any performance at 190 degrees. I'm just saying that I would keep it as close as possible and consistent with the tstat temp you chose to run otherwise you are bumping heads. I have always ran 165's in my new Chevys without a prob and I don't have any with this truck running a 180. The temps have always been consistant in both truck makes and all of my cars unless something failed.
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2012, 12:24 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Actually the tstat rated temperature is the crack temperature, not full open temperature. So if you have a 180 deg rated tstat then it begins to crack open at 180 deg. Full open is about 5 deg above that. When I tested my JET 180(advertised) it cracked at like 185-190 deg(didn't have a very accurate way of telling what the temp was, but it was in that range).

I agree with you for the most part, a colder tstat does help an engine to run cooler though, the reasons should be obvious. Like you said though, sitting still without airflow it doesn't matter if you had a 100 deg tstat, or no tstat, because at the high temp while sitting still you already have full coolant flow, but there isn't enough heat transfer due to no airflow.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RCLB SLT 1500 Ram
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:72
catsltd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
^What did you change to?

I haven't had any issues with my setup. Removed clutch fan, adjust efan settings to turn on at ~203 deg F and shut off at ~196 deg F. Also a 180 deg F tstat(although I tested it and it doesn't crack open until nearly 190 deg F). Engine temps are normally around 190-195 even in 100 deg F heat. If I sit at a light for a minute or two it'll rise a few degrees. If I sit for a long time it'll get up to where the efan kicks on and cool to where it shuts off.

Transmission temps aren't any different from stock that I've noticed. Usually around 140-150 deg F. On hot days sitting still it'll get as high as 180-190 deg F max and then cool once moving. I also have a 2800 rpm stall converter. Nothing you can do about hot temps sitting still idling, especially the transmission. Even with a fan it's still going to keep creeping up.

I've heard the v6 fan is better than the stock fan. From all the research I've done it is IDENTICAL except for the shroud. I would assume with the better shroud it'd cool better, just not sure how much better. Is it worth the ~$120 for the swap? Probably....and I'll probably do it one day.

We did 2,600 miles in the truck avg about 75mph from FL to TN then to AR and back to FL, with about 1,000-1,500 lb in the truck and even through the mountains and everything never had any cooling issues. It was also 100+ deg F the whole trip.

EDIT: Just saw you said you had a different fan. So it was an aftermarket install, correct? Didn't just bolt right up? Also saw you tow a lot of weight, so I think we are comparing apples to oranges lol, no way I could ever tow 18,000 lb with my truck. How do you figure you're towing 18,000 lbs with a ram 1500 anyway...?
I tow in the city.tandem dump trailer loaded with rock somedays.
My combined weight was just over 18.000 pds,I also had 2-17,000 pd loads that day also.
Thats why I went with a custom setup.

I bought a 183 from Flexalight made for the 2003-208 hemi, but it did not cool enuff when towing inmy 2010,so I talked to the tech at Flexalight and we came up with the #295 dual fan setup.
He thought it wouldnt fit,but it does,but its tight.
I think its for the Harley Davison Supercharged trucks.
Anyway it fit perfectly and needless to say it will cool my truck no matter what Im towing.
Backing up a steep driveway pushing over 18,000 pds weight was a bit of a test for my Cirle-D converter,I know a stock converter would have just melted on the spot.

I read its normal for engine temp to be 15 degrees hotter than coolant temp and that seems to be the case.

Im sure most people dont need this setup,as the v-6 fan seems to work for most.
But for me it is what I needed.
3:92 gears.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'm just a little confused, isn't max tow rating for a 1500 like 10,000 lbs? And that's pushing it? How are you doubling that capacity?

Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: Graphite
Rep:16
FrostKing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm just a little confused, isn't max tow rating for a 1500 like 10,000 lbs? And that's pushing it? How are you doubling that capacity?
He said combined weight, not tow weight.

Sold: 2003 RCSB 2WD
6.4L Hemi - Turbocharged, Alcohol, Nitrous
Old 08-04-2012, 10:28 PM

Oh ok. Still overweight slightly isn't it? Does it really pull that well?

Old 08-04-2012, 10:58 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Oh ok. Still overweight slightly isn't it? Does it really pull that well?
by a couple thousand
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM

I would not recommend towing up some really big hills with that much weight.
But the motor had no problem towing so much weight,even on a hot day.

I know for a fact the stock converter would not have gotten me up that driveway,I was at the limit of the converter and transmission backing up such a incline.
Heres one of the loads.http://www.nadodge.com/attachment.ph...3&d=1338421867.

Im just happy my new fan and converter work the way I hoped.
Congrats to Flexalight,and Cirle-D.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:50 PM

Sorry about the highjack.
Look forward to hearing what Shardon is going to do about this.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 PM

My first Edge 2600 stall would have destroyed my first tranny,but I caught it in time,and he replaced it.
Throw a stock converter in there and see if the converter is the problem.
maybe thats the whole problem???.