DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 05 dodge ram
Rep:29
countryb90 is on a distinguished road
Default Custom tune vs programmer

Good afternoon yall. So i got an 05 ram hemi that the previous owner said he had tuned and told me to only run premium fuel in it. It runs great get around 15mpg average with it, but im tired of having to run premium fuel in it with prices these days. How would it run if i got a plug in tuner superchip or whatever and did the eco tune? Would my mileage improve any in the process and would it hurt my engine having the computer already tuned and running 91 octane? Thanks guys dont want to waste my money on a tuner if my trucks already been tuned through the ecu but i would love to be able to run 87 and get at least the same mpg if not better. Let me know anyones thoughts or recommendations. FYI truck has 156k on it 2wd 6in lift with 4.10 gears and 37in falken wild peak tires. Usually get 15mpg average around town dont do hwy much but its better at 17 or so i would say.
Sponsored links
Old 05-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

If the truck is tuned then there is a high chance the pcm is locked and you will need to flash the pcm back to stock. Best bet is to get more information from the previous owner on what programmer was used and if it was a custom or a canned tune. Personally the seller should of included the programmer with the vehicle. For the mods you have listed it sounds like its only a canned 91 tune load vs a custom 91 tune that would be required for cam type NA setup.

Need more information on the vehicle especially motor work.

Last edited by TheSatinPumpkin; 05-28-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:51 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:252
CHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the roughCHVYKLR is a jewel in the rough

you could also buy a handheld like you are talking about and then go and get it retuned on a dyno. the dyno shop could write you an 87 octanne custome tune. if the shop knows what they are doing it will most likely be better than a canned tune too.

or...you don't even have to buy a handheld tuner but you could still have a dyno shop write you an 87 tune and just write over whatever you have now on your PCM. if you don't have any plans of ever wanting to run 93 octance again then you'll be fine.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the info yall i havent been able to get ahold of the previous owner, im pretty sure he had it dynoed previously and not with the plug in tuner. So it sounds like if he had it dyno tuned by a shop before i couldnt plug in a tuner now and change it without wiping it first? Mabey i'll just leave it for the few extra bucks a tank to fill it i reckon it wont help me that much. Thanks Oh one more questions. I've read through alot of CAI i have the dual short air intake that sits right on the engine with two big ol K@N filters on it. Im not wanting to drop alot on a whole new set up. I know this one is sucking in alot of warmer air on top the engine but would i really see any boost in mpg or performance by getting a whole new intake set up? Definitely gets alot of air with two filters its just alot hotter than it could be. May have to just rout up some of that dryier duct to shoot some more air up there think that would help? Thanks

Last edited by countryb90; 05-28-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 durango 5.7
Color: Gun metal
Rep:10
HotrodPenrod is on a distinguished road
Default Cai

I know it's not a ram, but I noticed small gain in acceleration with my diy set up (2005 durango 5.7). You might web search "black mamba CAI" for discussions and images. It's basically a 3" dia, 90 degree bend, conduit ($9) (schedule 40 pvc), 3" to 3" rubber coupling ($6), drill hole for MAP sensor, and attach cone filter of your choice. (All found at Lowes in electrical and plumbing sections... minus filter of course) Sounds mean and I just replaced the stock muffler with a $30 dollar glasspack and kept the stock resonator. You can route the conduit from the dual intake you have now, using couplers and conduit. It won't catch fire, but may distort due to heat... I haven't had it happen but it also depends on how hot your engine compartment gets. I have been toying with the idea of wrapping the tube with header wrap or another insulation. I get 1mpg better if I keep my foot out of it... Easier said than done.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

YEa i was thinking doing something like that or getting the flex drain pipe to just shoot more air up on my intakes. I wonder if that would get me any noticeable results or if i would have to have to filters farther away from the egnine/ Wouldnt look pretty but i could route two 4in drain pipes up right on top of my filters that would be blowing air when moving seems like it definitely couldnt hurt. I really need to just save up and get that VARRAM intake but almost $400 dosent seem like it will pay itself off very fast. Thanks for the info i'll check it out.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

if you do get a hold of the previous owner, find out if he did any internal mods like a cam or heads...if so, you could be stuck with the premium gas, alot of the custom tuning is done because of cam setups..you use lower octane and you risk detonation/knocking and lean conditions...
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ya no luck with the previous owner. I really dont think he did any internal work to it tho. Dont really believe much about what he said he did. So i dont think im going to spend the money on the tuner right now, but how could i check to see if the PCM was actually tuned and if it would even work to put a plug in tuner on it or if it would need flashed first. IF so how can i flash it? The guy told me to run premium fuel or it may ping alittle. I've always ran the highest grade i can find and havent heard anything. Would it hurt to try running the mid grade and see if it changes anything or could i damage alot by doing that? Do you think i am getting any better mpg using the premium compared to if i would run reg with an eco tune on a plug in tuner. As the tuners are a couple hundred if i dont get much of a gain it would take along time to pay for itself. Thanks any advice appreciated.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 2500 Megacab
Color: Red
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

IMO if you are already achieving 15 mpg in town, then you have just about achieved the mpg ceiling that you are gonna get with your setup.
Even when running the mpg booster tune from my DSP tuner and driving nicely I only get about 14.2 mpg max in town. On the highway is a different story, as I have achieved 21.6 mpg (hand calculated). With your tires and gears I don't believe your highway mileage will evere be extremely high. Tuners are fun and very worth it in my opinion, but they do take a bit of time to pay for themselves.
2007 Ram 1500 QC - SOLD and bought a 2009 4x4 Megacab 2500 with 6.7 Cummins. Full Sinister EGR/Throttle Valve/dpf deletes, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Banks cold air intake, EFI Live tuning by Anarchy Diesel running 100hp Street tune. Peragon bed cover.