DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
RRidle is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Odd Over Heating Problem That I Cannt Figure Out

Guys,

Hoping you can help me figure this out. Since the summer has started, my truck has had some issues over heating. When driving in town the temp gauge stays in the middle where it should be, but when I get on the highway the temp gauge will get about 3/4 or a little less to the red. Once I pull off the highway it will come back down to the middle. Sometimes however it wont come back down and will bounce around the middle to 3/4.

I am thinking it could be the thermostat getting stuck?

I have already replaced the coolant lid but have had no success with that. I have also touched the radiator and it seems cool to the touch in all areas, and I hear no bubbling.

The truck is a 4.7L with 102,xxx miles on it.

Any help would be appreciated since I am going on a road trip soon.
Sponsored links
Old 05-29-2012, 07:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

It could be a combination of things

thermostat is most likely

radiator hoses could be collapsing, where they make a curve, they usually have a spring inside, if the spring is deteriorated, the hose can collapse, squeeze the hose in the center of the curve, using your thumb & forefinger. If you feel a crunching, time to replace them

The other thing that can happen is your radiator is partially blocked & it can only help to give it a good flush before your trip

another thing to help you keep the system running cooler
carefully remove your heater hoses from where they are clamped on, near the front of the engine, make sure your heater control valve is open, either run air or water into the heater core, to clear out any gunk build up out of that system.
When you vehicle gets to the point where you believe it is too hot, turn on your heater for a bit, the temp should drop a little because it will get some cold water that is within the heater

Good Luck
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Good deal I will replace the thermostat and squeze the pipes when I get home from work today.

Quick question. Should I flush the radiator before I install the new thermostat or vis versa or does it not matter?

Also how much coolant can I expect to lose when replacing the thrmostat?
Old 05-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

I have heard of a few people (and know one personally) having issues with the plastic water pump on 3.7's and 4.7's. The impeller ended up cracking where it sat on the shaft and would only spin at certain times.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 05-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd also start by changing the tstat and making sure all air is out of the system. You will lose most of the coolant when changing the tstat, since the housing is low on the engine. It's pretty easy and straight forward though. Change the tstat, then refill with 50/50 coolant/water mix. Turn the heater on(floor vent, fan on, and temp on "heat"). Run the truck with the radiator cap off until normal operating temperature, keeping a full radiator. Squeeze radiator hoses to "burp" out air bubbles. Once it's at operating temperature then replace radiator cap. You will likely need to top off the coolant/water level after the next several heating/cooling cycles.

Since you already replaced the radiator cap, I'd rule that out.

Also make sure you don't put in too much coolant, as too much can cause poor cooling. Water cools better than coolant, so you want a 50/50 mix.

Also make sure the expansion tank(many call it the overflow tank) is at proper level. If it's too low/empty the radiator will suck in air upon cooling down.

If this all fails, then the water pump is likely bad. If that doesn't fix it, you probably have a clog somewhere. Not much else it could be...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Well i replaced the T-stat a couple weeks ago and flushed the radiator out and replaced all the coolant. Man was there some grudge in there. By doing so, it seemed to fix the problem a little bit but the truck was still over heating a little more than it should.

Then it happened...

I was walking out of the gym and noticed a pool of coolant on the asphalt. I was able to get it home 1/4 mile away from home with out the temp gauge ever hitting the middle. Popped the hood and noticed a a crack in the radiator. I purchased a new radiator from Advanced and installed it along with new Peak coolant. I cut the old radiator in 1/2 and holy crap talk about sludge. I dont think anyone changed the coolant ever in this truck (I purchased the truck 2 months ago with 100K miles).

I am happy to say the truck is running optimal now. Ran it hard yesterday in 100+ degree weather and the water temp gauge never went past the middle indicator.

Thanks for your guys help!