DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough
Default Update

So I spoke with my Service manager and he tells me he had a long conversation with the engineer rep at Chrysler last night before he left the shop. It seems they both believe that my issue is the TIPM. They are flying one in for my truck and it will be here at noon today. They will have it for 2 hours or so and they assure me, they believe this is my problem. I stressed to him that I will give them this last opportunity to fix this issue, (try number 5), and if it does not work they will be sending it back to Chrysler and I expect a replacement.
Do yo think I am being fair?
I think I have bent over backwards to get this issue fixed and work with them. (Especially considering the homemade wires an lights etc, and driving around doing their diagnostics on a rolling computer diagnostic center that does not work)
Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck, I really hope for my sake, and others with this issue, that this is the fix.
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default Hoorah! Update!

Dealer says my truck is done and gtg. They replaced the TIPM an did a start on it off and on all day to the tune of about 60 times. Service Manager took it home tonight with him, he lives 40 miles or so from Dealership, and is confident it is fixed but wanted to make sure. I will be happy if my truck is good as new. Then it is time to hit Chrysler and my Dealership for some comp stuff for all the down time and aggravation. Thinking of something that is not unreasonable for 16 days downtime, plus days sitting in my driveway that they were closed and I needed it in, and also the 5 times it had to be worked on for 1 issue. I dont think it will be a hat this time.
I am thinking some new Bilsteins installed on front, along with a front end alignment, and install my tow hooks I have already bought. I dont think thats unreasonable do you? I could have gone the Lemon Law route already but i worked with them to get it fixed.( this is of course if my truck is def fixed) Any serious ideas? lol Thanks guys for the support so far on this issue. It is much appreciated.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Personally i just hope your issue is in fact taken care of. It will take a while for that nervous feeling to go away everytime you go to turn the key but at least it seems like they removed their heads from their butts and made a real attempt at a fix. As far as compensation goes i dont think your out of line. The amount of fuel going to and from the dealership alone warrents some sort of compensation in my opinion.

Anywho keep us posted on the results!

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 1500
Color: Flame Red
Rep:10
glitzbd is on a distinguished road
Default Wow

I am glad things have hopefully come to a resolution! I read the whole thread, and I understand wanting to get YOUR truck fixed, but I am not sure my patience would have lasted as long as yours haha!

However I could see that being the issue the TIPM - Total Integrated Power Module is a fairly advanced electrical component! I know this thread is not about the RAM's TIPM but it gives a fairly good look at what is inside of one on a Jeep here.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4x4
Rep:10
Audacious is on a distinguished road

I honestly hope your problem is fixed. I can only imagine what a nightmare it must have been.

This is another reason why I like older trucks. My 87 Ram is easy as hell. "Oh it doesn't start?"
Does it click? Yes: Bad Starter or ground No: Bad Battery
Does it turn over but not start? Bad fuel sending unit or fuel pump

Man the old trucks are just so easy to fix.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Hope its fixed and as far as getting any perks for it being down so long LOL best of luck with that one.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Club cab
Color: White
Rep:12
balloo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsnorth View Post
Well it seems the gremlins are having a go at me. About 2 weeks ago I went to start my trucm and nothing. I turn the key and can hear an audible click somewhere under the truck. I checked it out while my Grandson turned the key, seems to be coming from somewhere near the starter. If I keep after it it will eventually start.
Talked to my Service guy, he advised to carry both sets of my keys, to try the other key if it does it, to rule out a key issue. So when I ruled that out after it did it last wednesday, called John up and he said bring it in. I dropped it off on Friday, they gave me a brand new Rav 4 with 600 miles on it for a loaner, and I went home. They checked it out on the machine and found no errors. They did the obvious stuff by tightening cables, and nothing wrong. So I turned the loaner in and got it back today, lets see what happens.
Has anyone else had this issue with the 2012? Just curious.
\
Does your truck have "key", or "FOB" ?

Mine has the FOB, and I worry about problems in the future. My worry is probably caused by the fact that this is something "new to me", and I tend not to trust things like this.

Thanks,
Balloo
Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Default Update: This sucks!!!

SO we went to camp and everything went well thursday thru Sat unti I went into town for an ice run. Father in Law was out for weekend so left him with the wife and kida and took the drive. Remeber, I an thinking it is fixed, I am jammin the new Flo Rida CD, windows down loving life, cold Diet Coke, get to town run to Shop n Save and grab ice and grub. I come out and run into my FiL's girlfriend and shes on her way to church meeting, we chat, Ioad my stuff and jump in the truck, turn the key, Click!. turn the key Click! same for half dozen times, so now I am pissed. I get right on the phone at 4:58 and call my dealership to speak to someone and noone answers. They are closed I guess. So, I sit there and try it a dozen more times and finally it fires up. I head back to camp. So my FiL is headed out Sunday so we have to cut our trip short by 3 days. I am not happy. I will be calling the dealership this morning and it is time to get a replacement. That is the only thing I will accept now. What would you do?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Just because I am curious..have you ever tried to shift the truck in Neutral and fire it up when this happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonsnorth View Post
SO we went to camp and everything went well thursday thru Sat unti I went into town for an ice run. Father in Law was out for weekend so left him with the wife and kida and took the drive. Remeber, I an thinking it is fixed, I am jammin the new Flo Rida CD, windows down loving life, cold Diet Coke, get to town run to Shop n Save and grab ice and grub. I come out and run into my FiL's girlfriend and shes on her way to church meeting, we chat, Ioad my stuff and jump in the truck, turn the key, Click!. turn the key Click! same for half dozen times, so now I am pissed. I get right on the phone at 4:58 and call my dealership to speak to someone and noone answers. They are closed I guess. So, I sit there and try it a dozen more times and finally it fires up. I head back to camp. So my FiL is headed out Sunday so we have to cut our trip short by 3 days. I am not happy. I will be calling the dealership this morning and it is time to get a replacement. That is the only thing I will accept now. What would you do?

Chrome... in moderation.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Arth, the day it ended up on a wrecker I did try that and nothing still. I am sure the dealer tried that as well when they got it on the wrecker, it did not start for 2 days for them either, then all of a sudden they turned the key and it started. Can you say Gremlin?