DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future
Talking Catch Can - worth every penny

I installed the billet catch can when my truck only had 1000 km's
I did my first oil change today (5000 km's) and used synthetic 5W20. This is what I'll use going forward.
This is besides the point

I've been itching since day one to check my catch can to see if it collected oil and how much. But I have held off till oil changes.

Again, my first oil change and I unscrewed it to find it at about half (give or take) full
Should it be this much?

I guess it's doing what it's suppose to be doing, catching oil

100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!

Last edited by fastNugly @ BP; 05-31-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012
Rep:13
pogster is on a distinguished road

Half a can seems a little excessive.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 AM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogster View Post
Half a can seems a little excessive.
Really?
How much should be coming out?
It has only been 4000 km's since installed
Not sure, but you can see in the picture what level it was at. Hard to accurately measure but it was about half.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2583
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

i believe it will get less full after you put on some more mileage

what i don't understand is, why you are using 5W-30, instead of the recommended 5W-20
or was that a misprint
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
i believe it will get less full after you put on some more mileage

what i don't understand is, why you are using 5W-30, instead of the recommended 5W-20
or was that a misprint
That is my thinking. I was not worried till Pogster mentioned it being excessive.

I went 5W30 because the manual/service guide said 5w20 or 5w30 can be used. So I opted the 30 route.
I looked at it first before going....either I looked at something totally different or I read the right thing.
But it did have both as options for the 5.7L Hemi
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

If you have the 1500, it has MDS & it functions best with 5W-20, you may see a warning light come on, i did after an oil change, they had used the 5W-30

If you have a 2500 or 3500 with the same HEMI, 5W-30 is recommended, because there is no MDS

Run what you want, it won't hurt the engine, but it may make the MDS function oddly
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
If you have the 1500, it has MDS & it functions best with 5W-20, you may see a warning light come on, i did after an oil change, they had used the 5W-30

If you have a 2500 or 3500 with the same HEMI, 5W-30 is recommended, because there is no MDS

Run what you want, it won't hurt the engine, but it may make the MDS function oddly
GT, thanks for pointing this out. I ran outside to check my bill and it does say 5W20 and the manually does say exactly what you stated above. So it was an error
So 5w30 won't hurt the engine. Just the MDS will act oddly?

Corrected my first post....it's getting late here. LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

every 2009 to 2012 5.7L HEMI is built the same, cars, vans, Jeep, & trucks included

everyone has all the same holes, both threaded & smooth, shapes are all the same
each engine is capable of going into any of the vehicles that have the 5.7L HEMI
They just add different parts that each vehicle requires
any hole that goes into the water jacket or oil passages & is not needed in that particular vehicle, is plugged off

The MDS is on the 1500 models & possibly a couple other Jeeps, Vans, or cars
it is just an add on that is computer controlled

Last edited by GTyankee; 05-31-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

I have dumped mine twice in the last 2000 miles and I would say there would have been about 1/2 full in that amount of miles. Im going to keep better track of it, but I would venture to guess it's look like about a full catch can per 5000 mile oil change... Maybe I should be concerned...

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
every 2009 to 2012 5.7L HEMI is built the same, cars, vans, Jeep, & trucks included

everyone has all the same holes, both threaded & smooth, shapes are all the same
each engine is capable of going into any of the vehicles that have the 5.7L HEMI
They just add different parts that each vehicle requires
any hole that goes into the water jacket or oil passages & is not needed in that particular vehicle, is plugged off

The MDS is on the 1500 models & possibly a couple other Jeeps, Vans, or cars
it is just an add on that is computer controlled
Thanks GTyankee. Love your truck too