DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough
Default K&N Cold Air Intake

Anybody put one of these on their 2013-2014 Ram yet?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=63-1561

If anybody with a 2009-2012 has chime in too, but want to see if anybody with the 13-14 has and make sure that there is no issues too.

The estimated 15 hp and 17 tq gain seems high for just an intake but could be true. Weirdly K&N has a similar intake with chrome tubing and in their dyno tests that model gain just over 10 hp. So not really sure why this version did better, but better is better right?

Any codes, misfires, AirFlow sensor issues?

Thanks
Sponsored links
Old 11-27-2013, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver72 View Post

If anybody with a 2009-2012 has chime in too, but want to see if anybody with the 13-14 has and make sure that there is no issues too.

The estimated 15 hp and 17 tq gain seems high for just an intake but could be true. Weirdly K&N has a similar intake with chrome tubing and in their dyno tests that model gain just over 10 hp. So not really sure why this version did better, but better is better right?

Thanks
Your air intake on your truck is already a CAI it takes its air from the fender area, you will never get those estimates on your truck, and at best a few HP at 4000 rpm, if your going to spend that money on an intake expecting HP gains you might as well put your money towards a tuner and install a good high flow filter in your current CAI, if your doing it just to mod your truck and you like the look and the engine noise it will make, then by all means go for it but if its looks you want, look at the vararam air intake. Also You will not get any codes or anything since its not changing anything. JMO from experience
Old 11-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1045
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Your air intake on your truck is already a CAI it takes its air from the fender area, you will never get those estimates on your truck, and at best a few HP at 4000 rpm, if your going to spend that money on an intake expecting HP gains you might as well put your money towards a tuner and install a good high flow filter in your current CAI, if your doing it just to mod your truck and you like the look and the engine noise it will make, then by all means go for it but if its looks you want, look at the vararam air intake. Also You will not get any codes or anything since its not changing anything. JMO from experience
This ^^ is very very good advice.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mreed1491 is on a distinguished road

I was also looking at getting a K&N CAI. I was told about HP gain as well as about a 2 MPG increase. Has anyone experienced an increase in mileage
?
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed1491 View Post
I was also looking at getting a K&N CAI. I was told about HP gain as well as about a 2 MPG increase. Has anyone experienced an increase in mileage
?

Same thing, first off its next to impossible to see if your actually getting anything as far as MPG difference, you would have to drive your truck on exactly the same roads with the same temperatures, the same gas, the same winds, the same traffic and doing the exact same foot input over a 1 week period to get a base level of your current fuel millage. Then you would have to do the same with the K&N and well its something almost impossible to do in measuring an Increase in 1 to 2 mpg. People who say I installed one for 1 - 2 mpg increase probable have no baseline to figure this out. Most will say they lost mpg because now they want to try and feel a 12hp difference on a huge truck, next to impossible, but they hear the noise the engine makes and floor it more often. If it was as easy as changing the air flow on a modern truck to achieve even better MPG, would the manufactures not use that to there advantage in catching the market with claims of superior gas millage than other trucks? If that is the case, then a free flow filter in the current CAI should suffice the MPG claim. If these claims are put forward on a 2nd Gen truck, then maybe it might have some merit, but today's 4th gen trucks are so efficient and engineered to be efficient due to the new demands by Gov to make them efficient 350$ + tax + labor divided by 1 tank of fuel a week 1mpg efficiency over one year is? 200$ over a year of fuel savings, and the cleaning products, the spray oil. At then end I still say, if you want to install a 350$ CAI on your truck cause its cool, fun, gets you modding, lift time filter, the noise, the look etc etc, yes, go for it, but for anything else, just not worth it on an Efficient Ram 4th Gen truck, put your money towards a Tuner, that will help. JMO

By the way, this is just one opinion, I am sure you can find tons of information and other opinions on the subject in this forum

Last edited by Asur; 11-27-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:2026
brandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond reputebrandonjansen has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what Asur said above.

But I will add to it. If you do want to get an aftermarket intake for your truck, K&N is definitely not the one you want. For one, it's not a true CAI as Asur said. So you are pretty much going backwards from stock. IMO the K&N intakes for 4th gen rams are one of the worst designed intakes you can get.

The second is the fact that K&N filters are actually terrible at filtering air. For a daily driver that's not what you want. While they do flow well, they allow way too many particles through the filter and in to your engine. There are many other filters that would be a much better choice.

If you want an aftermarket intake take a look at S&B and Vararam. Those are the only two worth considering if you do want to change it IMO. Otherwise just mod your factory air box, add a drop in filter, and call it a day.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover | 5000K Morimoto HID's (lows and fogs) | 30" curved LED Light Bar
H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake | Instagram: @brandonjansen
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 11-27-2013, 02:59 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Laramie CC 4x4 8spd 3.92
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/ Blk interior
Rep:69
Driver72 will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.

I've put CAI's on my performance cars in the past and almost always a tuner with it to adjust for the extra air coming in.
This is my first truck I've owned, so I am unfamiliar with the choices with these Hemi trucks.

I also forgot that, for 2013 I believe, they made the intake a pseudo CAI, but still a closed element, which some argue is better as it doesn't take in as much hot underhood engine air.

The primary reason for the CAI is not the added power, though when I saw K&N got 15 hp and 17 lbs-ft from this intake on a 2009 Hemi, I was impressed.

It's also not so much for looks as I don't pop my hood of a truck to say, hey look at my engine. LOL It's mostly for a more aggressive sound.
A CAI in my Mustang 5.0 with the Coyote engine made the car sound so much nicer and the V8 rumble more pronounced all with a bit of vacuum sucking noise as revs climbed.

So I was thinking for a few hundred bucks it might make the Hemi sound even better, and if it gets me a bit more power, all just a bonus.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1045
Kamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud ofKamanhart has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I've put CAI's on my performance cars in the past and almost always a tuner with it to adjust for the extra air coming in.
This is my first truck I've owned, so I am unfamiliar with the choices with these Hemi trucks.

I also forgot that, for 2013 I believe, they made the intake a pseudo CAI, but still a closed element, which some argue is better as it doesn't take in as much hot underhood engine air.

The primary reason for the CAI is not the added power, though when I saw K&N got 15 hp and 17 lbs-ft from this intake on a 2009 Hemi, I was impressed.

It's also not so much for looks as I don't pop my hood of a truck to say, hey look at my engine. LOL It's mostly for a more aggressive sound.
A CAI in my Mustang 5.0 with the Coyote engine made the car sound so much nicer and the V8 rumble more pronounced all with a bit of vacuum sucking noise as revs climbed.

So I was thinking for a few hundred bucks it might make the Hemi sound even better, and if it gets me a bit more power, all just a bonus.
Being that you are looking for sound the general theme still applies with the S&B and Vararam like Brandon has mentioned. i can only speak from personal experience on the S&B for sound but it really makes things sound awesome
Old 11-27-2013, 09:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:10
mreed1491 is on a distinguished road

I have a dealer credit and I was talking to the service manager about the K&N intake. He said Chrysler offers a CAI. I asked him who made it, and what gains could be expected. He said he didn't have any info other than the price. Does anyone have any knowledge about the aftermarket CAI Chrysler offers??
Old 11-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Rep:11
RCFiddyOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks
IT. WONT. FIT.....without some major modifications. If I can save one person from making the same mistake I did, it is worth it. Do yourself a favor and look at something else because this is not a direct bolt on. This kit is made only for '09-'12 and Chrysler made changes to the A/C lines in '13 that causes it to be a tight fit as well as the MAF sensor is different from the connector you get from K&N. I MADE mine work but if I had it to do all over, I would have gone a different route.

Performance wise - I don't see that gains in the MPG and I doubt I ever will. My truck definitely pulls harder but I changed my exhaust at the same time so I can't say if it was the K&N but I imagine it was me doing both that made the difference. Again, looking back, I definitely would have gotten a CAI, not just this one. Good luck.

Last edited by RCFiddyOne; 11-27-2013 at 11:28 PM.