DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:342
Pull Ya is a jewel in the roughPull Ya is a jewel in the roughPull Ya is a jewel in the roughPull Ya is a jewel in the rough

jpaul,
If you don't understand---read my post again. I thought it was pretty clear----maybe this will help-----COST vs RESULTS. Did you not see that I said the local muffler shop wanted a couple hundred bucks to install the y pipe and new cross over? I'd rather spend that money on a new set of tires and get rid of these crap Goodyears, that I consider dangerous to drive on. By the way the wheel stand comment was a tounge in cheek remark--sorry you missed the humor.
Jay

Last edited by Pull Ya; 06-06-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Ram Crew 2WD
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:243
CHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura aboutCHVYKLR has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Ya View Post
It's called Cost vs Results. I don't wanna get into a piss'n match about this--it's everyone's own choice. I was just voicing an opinion. If you show me a actual dyno sheet, before and after the installation of the Y pipe only, that shows substantial increases in hp and tq then I might change my mind--till then, everyone has an opinion and I just gave mine. I'll continue to drive my "slow" Hemi and remembering that there is always someone faster.
Jay
Quote:
jpaul,
If you don't understand---read my post again. I thought it was pretty clear----maybe this will help-----COST vs RESULTS. Did you not see that I said the local muffler shop wanted a couple hundred bucks to install the y pipe and new cross over? I'd rather spend that money on a new set of tires and get rid of these crap Goodyears, that I consider dangerous to drive on. By the way the wheel stand comment was a tounge in cheek remark--sorry you missed the humor.
Jay

I thought is was funny . you are right that the cost vs results of this mod isn't the best at the prices that muffler shop is quoting...they are def trying to take you for a ride with prices like that. I doubt you'll find any dyno before and afters because the cost of the 2 dyno pulls would prob be more than the mod itself. Really the y-pipe upgrade is meant to be a supporting mod IMHO and prob not worth it if you aren't doing other mods to your truck but hey you gotta start somewhere.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLt/Lonestar Edition
Color: Mineral Gray Metalic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:167
jpaul51 has a spectacular aura aboutjpaul51 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
jpaul,
Jay
I get humor, but your comment came across as smart ass not humorous. I think your muffler shop is trying to stick their hands in your pockets. So in your case cost vs. benefit might not be good but I didn't get hosed on installation price so my benefit is considerably higher. As far as tires go, you could do no worse than the factory Goodyears. I put new 20" tires on in March and it ran a little over a $1,000 so your not gonna get far with $200. To each his own. Do what you feel is worth it to your truck. Just as I will!
2007 Ram 1500 QC w/ 5.7 Hemi, , Comp Cams XFI 260H-13, Diablosport Predator Tuner w/ Custom CMR Tune, Composite BFI with AMSOIL synthetic dry filter, Fastman Ported Throttle Body, BBK Shorty Headers, 14" Magnaflow, Doug's Headers 3" Electric Cutout, NGK spark plugs, Sonnax 545RFE Trans Line Booster, Jet 180* Tstat, AMSOIL oil & filter, SprintBooster, Billet Grill, GT Truck Products Fiberglass Bed cover, Liquid Metal wheels
Old 06-06-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
It's called Cost vs Results. I don't wanna get into a piss'n match about this--it's everyone's own choice. I was just voicing an opinion. If you show me a actual dyno sheet, before and after the installation of the Y pipe only, that shows substantial increases in hp and tq then I might change my mind--till then, everyone has an opinion and I just gave mine. I'll continue to drive my "slow" Hemi and remembering that there is always someone faster.
Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
I thought is was funny . you are right that the cost vs results of this mod isn't the best at the prices that muffler shop is quoting...they are def trying to take you for a ride with prices like that. I doubt you'll find any dyno before and afters because the cost of the 2 dyno pulls would prob be more than the mod itself. Really the y-pipe upgrade is meant to be a supporting mod IMHO and prob not worth it if you aren't doing other mods to your truck but hey you gotta start somewhere.
I do have dyno sheets that show big gains, but not just after Y-pipe. I think you'd have a hard time covincing the performance shop to do dyno pull on only a $30 part. I agree with Chvyklr that you will not see much difference in a bone stock system unless you do some other upgrades at the same time. I changed my entire exhaust system from behind the cats on back as well as new plugs, comp cam and cmr tune. So I did do some of the supporting mods that really help it breathe.

As far as tires go, I would steer clear of Khumos. I just went through a set in 27,000 miles. I'm now running a set of Coopers that ride really well.
2007 Ram 1500 QC w/ 5.7 Hemi, , Comp Cams XFI 260H-13, Diablosport Predator Tuner w/ Custom CMR Tune, Composite BFI with AMSOIL synthetic dry filter, Fastman Ported Throttle Body, BBK Shorty Headers, 14" Magnaflow, Doug's Headers 3" Electric Cutout, NGK spark plugs, Sonnax 545RFE Trans Line Booster, Jet 180* Tstat, AMSOIL oil & filter, SprintBooster, Billet Grill, GT Truck Products Fiberglass Bed cover, Liquid Metal wheels
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST Express
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:35
dac1959 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHVYKLR View Post
I had mine replaced and the new y-pipe moved back about a foot and a half. the crossover is now by the trans output shaft. I'll be installing my mag hytec 68RFE trans pan when I do my first oil/filter change.
Very nice and neat.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road

I have in 11 ram thats pretty much stock with only a lowering kit, flowmaster 10 series and 24's. After i replaced the y pipe with a custom one i went from avg. 18.1 to 19.8 and thats driving at 75 to 90 mph. Maybe all the gain isnt just from the new y but it seems to flow alot better without that flat piece of pipe in the way.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlee9386 View Post
I have in 11 ram thats pretty much stock with only a lowering kit, flowmaster 10 series and 24's. After i replaced the y pipe with a custom one i went from avg. 18.1 to 19.8 and thats driving at 75 to 90 mph. Maybe all the gain isnt just from the new y but it seems to flow alot better without that flat piece of pipe in the way.
That's awesome mileage for how fast your driving it! So I'm guessing you like it! How loud is it with those series 10 Flows?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:36
ericlee9386 is on a distinguished road

I enjoy the flows i like them they are rather loud i can hear the truck idealing inside of my apartment in the mornings. The only think i dont like is when it drops down to a 4 clyn then the drone is a little annoying but the p3 drown it out