DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 2500 ram
Trim Level: LT
Color: almond
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:19
spockmckoy is on a distinguished road

Im not setting any speed records with this repair (truck has been down over a week) because I have other vehicles to work out of. Yesterday, before a bad storm, I managed to drill/tap the block where a bolt broke off. I also changed the cap/rotor/plugs/wires. MUCH easier with the valley open!!! It is Saturday, but I have a job to go to, then I hope to begin the reinstall process when I get home later today, IF the weather co-ops.
Sponsored links
Old 07-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
XYZsniper is on a distinguished road

Took me the better part of the day to get where i'm at but I was taking my sweet time. Tomorrow i'll be doing nothing but cleaning.
Now, What all should I be doing now that the intake is off? I've seen the "kegger mod" but there seems to be some controversy on how to cut the runners.
Should I strip the keg down to nothing and go through the injectors/fuel rails and replace all sensors? Just looking for some experienced thoughts on what pays to do now that it's off.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM

Hi, I can see the blown gasket on yours, mine I could not. Just lots of oil inside. I removed my 2 sensors before cleaning. I didn't know the effect of submerging the sensors in water/cleaner/solvent so i unscrewed them. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a package of mixed sizes of round brushes and used them on every pathway/bolt/injector hole to clean it out thoroughly. today, I began the reassembling of all. The new hughes kit is installed, the plenum is reinstalled, fuel injectors have new Orings, fuel rail installed, the throttle body is installed, the new hughes 180 degree tstat is installed, the new crossover tube is installed. I picked up a new upper rad hose on the way to work today, so I will install that tomorrow and continue with reinstalling the rest, and hopefully drain the oil. I will refill with cheapy oil + 1 quart of kerosene. I let it idle for 15 minutes, NO revving of the engine, drain, replace filter, add good oil. I learned this years ago when I took my chevy work van, I bought used, to a jiffy lube. they told me they didn't get any oil out. ODD I thought, cause the idiot light didn't come on. I removed a valve covers and THAT is where all of the oil was hiding, disguised as SLUDGE. I used a small puddy knife to scrape out the sludge from the top of the engine. I bought a $7 quart of NAPA 'engine cleaner', when I smelled it, it is 100% kerosene. Didn't know it when I bought it. Never bought the napa 'engine cleaner' since, just buy a gallon of kerosene to have around for this purpose. I changed the oil multiple times till I got all of the oil pathways cleaned out and the engine ran fine for years after that. I also lastly, need to mix 50/50 mix of antifreeze and refill system, then start it up/change the oil. I don't know what 'mods' are done, I didn't read up on that. I have a work truck, not a truck I want to mod. I want it to basically work and be a dependable work truck. Not be pretty, but as Al Davis may have said, "Just Run Baby!"
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM

Default finished plenum...

well, I finally finished up the plenum repair with the Hughes kit and my 5.9 finally has its power back d) NOW, I do need to get the tranny fixed. I am NOT comfortable working on a 'box full of gears'. Not my forte' I drained the oil/pulled the filter. LOTS of water/antifreeze came out, and that is because I couldn't drain down the rad with the drain. I suppose on after thought, I should have removed the lower hose. Anyway, I refilled with oil, new filter + 1 quart of kerosene, and let the truck idle for 15 minutes, drained it, removed the filter, installed another new filter, added new oil and refilled with 50/50 antifreeze/water. the engine sounds/runs great now.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Has Internet Tourettes

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1694
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

No, as you found out. The reverse bits are a godsend on tasks like this because they actually coax the stud in the right direction to begin with.

I didn't realize I wasn't at the end of the thread did you use the reverse bits?

Keep us informed and post the results. If I can help in any other way just PM me or hit me up through one of the messenger services I have listed up there.

Last edited by Warlock III; 07-03-2012 at 07:25 PM.