DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 8.0 Liter V10 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-11-2014, 09:06 PM
kawiprairie700 kawiprairie700 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 66
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1997 ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
kawiprairie700 is on a distinguished road
Default v10 any performance parts?

I was thinking about finding a v10 magnum to build the motor to around 600hp naturally aspirated, but it seems that there are no performance parts at all for these engines. Is there anything for them? If i have a v10 in my truck id like it to be a sleeper, not a low performance towing truck. Not that they don't tow well, but you would think there would be something for these motors since they are a v10 and v10s are used in many extremely high performance cars including the viper.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM
shortbox81 shortbox81 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Red Deer
Age: 45
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
shortbox81 is on a distinguished road
Default

there are not to many performance parts for these engines. there are headers, cai's, ported tb, tuner and there are a couple cams. but you will have to do trany work if you want to up the hp as the tranys are only rated for what the motor pushes stock.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 PM
dabranco dabranco is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: east peoria
Posts: 109
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1996 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: red
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
dabranco is on a distinguished road
Default

The bore is the same as the 5.2 you could punch it out to the bore of 5.9 magnum, there are cams as well, larger valves and bigger injectors. headers help out and free up the exhaust. ECM mods will help as well.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-18-2015, 01:56 PM
HemiLonestar's Avatar
HemiLonestar HemiLonestar is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 2,423
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:280
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawiprairie700 View Post
I was thinking about finding a v10 magnum to build the motor to around 600hp naturally aspirated, but it seems that there are no performance parts at all for these engines. Is there anything for them? If i have a v10 in my truck id like it to be a sleeper, not a low performance towing truck. Not that they don't tow well, but you would think there would be something for these motors since they are a v10 and v10s are used in many extremely high performance cars including the viper.
BIG difference between the regular truck HD V10's and the Viper engine. Very few, if any parts are interchangeable. The truck version (all iron, Viper engine is aluminum) was designed more from the get go to be a lo po stump puller torque monster. The truck engine has more in common with a small block than a Viper engine. You can do the normal hot rod stuff, up the compression, head P&P, cam, etc. Don't think anyone makes an intake manifold for these things. Then you have to tune it. I have seen one swapped into a 97 Indy Pace 1500 and was worked to about 400hp.
__________________

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 PM
fraserboy3 fraserboy3 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Green Cove Springs, Fl
Age: 52
Posts: 15
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500
Trim Level: Laramie CrewCab 6.4"
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
fraserboy3 is on a distinguished road
Default

I just traded my '95 2500 V10 two months ago.
I put a CAM from Texas Motor Sport's, Crane Spring's, DT LT's, High Flow CAT's and Ported Head's. Had the 5-speed, cause you can't add any power in front of the Auto.
The guy from Crane I worked with confirmed this from when he worked at Dodge Motorsports.
I loved stomping Mustang's on the street (1990-2000 era). It was the highlight of my day.
There were no Tuner's back then that would touch it, but now they do. Sorry for me, could have enjoyed all that un-tapped HP.
Stopped Mod's on this when I got the wife here 2002 Firebird T/A conv. More fun to play with.
Now I have my 2014 RAM, that is starting to get worked over, primarily for MPG.

Good Luck with the V10, I still miss the ol' girl.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:51 PM
kawiprairie700 kawiprairie700 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 66
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1997 ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
kawiprairie700 is on a distinguished road
Default

It doesn't look like there are many performance options for the v10, i don't have one but i was thinking about getting one if there was more options available, but it seems as these engines are not as common as others. I might get one some day and build the entire motor. A 600 rwhp v10 ram doesn't sound like a bad idea. Id like that v10 badge on the side of the truck to stick up to its name.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-28-2015, 05:54 PM
kawiprairie700 kawiprairie700 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 66
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1997 ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
kawiprairie700 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraserboy3 View Post
I just traded my '95 2500 V10 two months ago.
I put a CAM from Texas Motor Sport's, Crane Spring's, DT LT's, High Flow CAT's and Ported Head's. Had the 5-speed, cause you can't add any power in front of the Auto.
The guy from Crane I worked with confirmed this from when he worked at Dodge Motorsports.
I loved stomping Mustang's on the street (1990-2000 era). It was the highlight of my day.
There were no Tuner's back then that would touch it, but now they do. Sorry for me, could have enjoyed all that un-tapped HP.
Stopped Mod's on this when I got the wife here 2002 Firebird T/A conv. More fun to play with.
Now I have my 2014 RAM, that is starting to get worked over, primarily for MPG.

Good Luck with the V10, I still miss the ol' girl.
I guess the diablo sport tuner is the best for these motors that really wakes them up, but there isn't really much else other than maybe the headers, intake and exhaust for maybe 15hp.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2015, 06:23 PM
johnny8.0 johnny8.0 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 8
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1997 Dodge ram 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 488ci (8.0L) LA V10 300 hp 450lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
johnny8.0 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabranco View Post
The bore is the same as the 5.2 you could punch it out to the bore of 5.9 magnum, there are cams as well, larger valves and bigger injectors. headers help out and free up the exhaust. ECM mods will help as well.
The V10 does not share the bore of the 5.2. The 5.2 has a bore and stroke of 3.91x3.31, the 5.9 is 4.00x3.58 and the V10 is 4.00x3.88. So it's more like a slightly stroked 5.9 with two extra cylinders. It also has lower compression than the V8's. Presumably because when they developed the V10 they didn't really have a tranny for behind it. So they kept compression low. It's no coincidence it makes the max torque that the 47re is rated to hold. First thing I think I'd do is mill the heads a bit to get the compression up.
__________________
97 Ram 3500 Club Cab, 2WD, auto, 4.10's.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-02-2015, 12:02 PM
HemiLonestar's Avatar
HemiLonestar HemiLonestar is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 2,423
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 7
Rep:280
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny8.0 View Post
The V10 does not share the bore of the 5.2. The 5.2 has a bore and stroke of 3.91x3.31, the 5.9 is 4.00x3.58 and the V10 is 4.00x3.88. So it's more like a slightly stroked 5.9 with two extra cylinders. It also has lower compression than the V8's. Presumably because when they developed the V10 they didn't really have a tranny for behind it. So they kept compression low. It's no coincidence it makes the max torque that the 47re is rated to hold. First thing I think I'd do is mill the heads a bit to get the compression up.
More than you know. The original thought process and execution to build a prototype to test was to put 2 more cylinders on a 360 block. That eventually lead to the cast iron truck version; Chrysler owned Lamborghini at the time and had them redesign and cast it in aluminum for the upcoming new '92 Viper.
__________________

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors