DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1986 Power Ram
Color: White
Engine: 1981-1987 318ci (5.2L) LA V8 140hp
Rep:10
1BigDodge is on a distinguished road
Default Lifted Dodge Steering

Hello everyone. I have a 1986 Power Ram with a skyjacker 8in lift with a 3in body lift and has a set of 40in tires on it. It has a steering stabilizer, skyjacker steering arm and I think a drop pitman arm. I also just installed a new gear box Saturday.

My delima is that this thing does not want to turn right all the way. It turns left great, no problems at all but it will not turn as far right. As the old saying goes it take a 40 acre feid to turn it. Jack the front end off the ground it turns all the way right.

When you drive it, about 15mph is all you will be safe at because of how bad it bump steers. The smallest imperfection on the road sends you darting in one direction or the other. Has anyone else ran into this on their lifted rides. Also does anyone have a pic they could post of their pitman arm so I could compare.

Ill post a pic of the ride up soon.
Sponsored links
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Here she is, I call her Big Nasty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (45.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
Txhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Do you have a steering block on the front end?
If so,check it for any cracks,and also check all of the bolts in it.

I lifted a 1984 dodge 12",and ran 44's on it years ago.We had to make titanium bolts and steering block for it.It would break everything else we tried.Those big tires put a great strain on the steering components.
We also had to make and adjustable steering arm that would allow us to adjust the length far enough to correct all of the bad angles.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Damn that is a great lookin truck!!!!

As far as the steering left and right issue did you make sure the steering box was centered internally when you installed it? I put a new box in an old chevelle drag car once and it was turned to the left when we put it in so it turned right flawlessly but turning left maxed the box out after about 1/3 of a turn on the steering wheel. We had to yank it out and re instal it

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 06-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the compliment SS4Luck.

By steering block do you mean a block under the steering arm? If so, it does have a skyjacker steering arm which is for the lift. It actually says skyjacker on it but the pitman arm does not. It would help if I could see a stock pitman arm to compare to the one that is on it now.

The box is centered, 2 1/4 turns to center. when the front is off the ground it turns all the way, both ways.

I know its something binding, im going to get a new drag link and maybe pitman arm if I dont have the correct one. My big delima is I dont want to order a drop pitman arm, get it out the box, and its the same as mine. Thats a $130.00 mistake I dont want to make. lol.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
clemet is on a distinguished road

What you need to correct the ability to get full steering is an adjustable drag link and drop pitman arm. Also with that size of tire never run a spacer under the steering arm even though they make them. Problem is that even with the adjustable drag link you are still going to get bump steer it's just the nature of the steering design. The only way to take that out of the equation is with crossover steering. Another thing that really needs to be addressed with those old trucks is the steering shaft because the joint that attaches to the box is a poor design (uses cardboard shims). Either a Flaming River or Borgsen shaft are the way to go to get that corrected.

I know it sounds like a lot of cash, but if you want to be safe and be able to drive it....

Assuming that it still has a D44 front end to install crossover steering you will need to ensure that you have a flat top knuckle on the passenger side, and have it machined perfectly flat and drilled and tapped to install the steering arm. Then take and turn your pitman arm 90 degrees so that it swings right to left.

There is one more thing that you are going to have to address at some point too with those size tires on there and that is a steering box brace because the frame will develop stress cracks from those big of tires.

If you plan on using the truck off road then I would be looking into swapping the axles out for a Dana 60 front because the second you bind up a front tire you will start to twist an axle shaft.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rgarbarino is on a distinguished road
Default Sounds Familiar!

Years ago I had a 78 Power Wagon with a 6" lift and 36" tires. I think it was a Super Lift kit I installed. Had a new steering arm and a block. If I remember correctly I had the same problem you are describing and it was the drag link hitting the taller steering arm. This was a long time ago but I think what I did was have the steering arm tapered hole filled in then re-drilled so the drag link attached from the top of the arm not under it.

All I know is I had to change front bearings and ball joints ALL THE TIME!

After I sold it I swore to never have a lifted truck like that again..$$$$$