DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
pathogan is on a distinguished road
Default 5th Wheel Towing

I drive a 2010 SLT Crew Cab (5.7L & 3.55 gear) and am planning on buying a 5th wheel, which has a GTW of 6400 lbs with a GAWR of 8550 lbs, which I presume is the difference between bone empty and fully loaded. If fully loaded at 8550 lbs (max towing for my truck rated at 8500 lbs) that would bring GCWR to 14000 lbs - max according to Dodge. Will this truck do it? I know many will say buy a 3/4 T etc but I drive empty more than I pull a trailer so like the comfort & economy of the 1/2T. Also expect I will have to buy something like the sidewinder due to my short bed length. Thnx.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathogan View Post
I drive a 2010 SLT Crew Cab (5.7L & 3.55 gear) and am planning on buying a 5th wheel, which has a GTW of 6400 lbs with a GAWR of 8550 lbs, which I presume is the difference between bone empty and fully loaded. If fully loaded at 8550 lbs (max towing for my truck rated at 8500 lbs) that would bring GCWR to 14000 lbs - max according to Dodge. Will this truck do it? I know many will say buy a 3/4 T etc but I drive empty more than I pull a trailer so like the comfort & economy of the 1/2T. Also expect I will have to buy something like the sidewinder due to my short bed length. Thnx.
I was going to buy a 5th wheel at first, you definately want to factor in the pin weight, passenger weights and anything you might add on a trip in the truck, you very well might run out of payload capacity for your truck, on average a bumper pull travel trailer usually only uses half of the available payload.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:08 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Josh and I have ALOT (I do mean alot) of experience towing and hauling heavy loads. Having been in the army, and on 3 combat tours, for the better part of a decade now, I have seen and driven just about everything there is to drive, from tanks, to Route Clearance Vehicles, to pickup trucks. Some are VERY heavy, and some are bone stock trucks guys like you and me drive everyday.

You have already noticed your coil springs will collapse under the weight of a heavy trailer, and while that does not pose a problem to your truck immediately, it can, over time. Towing a load as heavy as this with the 4th gen Ram requires some additional help, due to the smooth riding coil spring Multi-Link rear suspension. Coils were put in the ram because they ride smoother, but they are your worst enemy when towing/hauling heavy. Thats where Total Load Control Suspensions comes in. Right now we are offering $50 off to Z members, and shipping is always free* to the continental US, $40 to Canada, and $100 internationally.

This system will work in conjuction with your coil springs to improve load handling, reduce wear and tear on your coil springs, and even helps with unladen ride comfort and stability. Remember TLC will not actually increase your GVWR, so whatever is on your sticker is your max payload. At TLC we recommend you do not exceed the GVWR.

Shoot me a message at ArmyofOne2006@remove_this_part_gmail.com, and we can get you on your way to comfortable and safe towing. Happy Travels!

*=free shipping applies to Ram 1500 TLC kits only. The 2500 and above kits are much heavier and therefore require extra shipping charges.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

I don't think the TLC system is your answer, I'm gonna bet he'll still be within a couple hundred pounds of his truck payload without passengers on board or any type of gear. Most pin weights are 20 to 25% of the trailer weight. Can't remember what the actual payload of my truck, his truck sounds nearly identical other than his gear set in the rear-end, but I am pretty sure it's in the ballpark of 1450 pounds. As an example, if the trailer was #8500, that would put the pin weight at about #1700, that's factoring in 20% on the trailer weight.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
PteJack is on a distinguished road

Pathogan,

I have a 1 ton (2011 3500 Dodge Laramie Longhorn) and my wife and I were planning to live the dream we have saved and planned for over the last 30 years. We bought our truck to haul a 5th wheel and are now finding that we cannot tow what we intended to buy.

read thread http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=112812

As Otterdriver stated, it all boils down to payload.

In my case, if I put a 5th Wheel pin that is heavier than 1,600lbs on the back of my truck I go into a payload overload scerario. I've talked to many 5th wheel pullers and have gotten many stats from them. When I run their scale numbers and apply them to my truck I find, I'm under Combined veh weight, under Rear axle weight, under max towing capacity, but over the tow vehicle's gross weight restriction and over in payload capacity (if the pin weight is over 1600 lbs.)

Pulling tag, no problem, as tongue weights are usually under the1200lb max tongue weight of my Class IV hitch. If they aren't then I can reduce tongue weight by using a weight distribution system type hitch (which supposedly divides the tongue weight by half and pushes the excess back to the trailer. Now I haven't fully investigated this as I am still waiting to hear from my dealership regarding 5th wheel towing and the weight restriction that are on my truck.)

Here is a good place to start if you want to find out just what the maxium pin weight you can put into the back of your truck.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

it is a 5th wheel calculator. It becomes more acurate with more information.

I would suggest to you that you load your truck with what you think you'll have inside the cab with you when you pull the trailer (ie Wife, Kids, Dog, Snacks, Drinks, DVDs, Blackets, Booster cables, 4 or 5 empty Timmy cups) and take your truck over a scale. This will tell you just how much of your payload capacity you have already gobbled up, add around 150 - 200lbs for your 5th wheel hitch if you don't have one in the truck. Subtract that number from your GVWR (found inside the driver door) and that will tell you what you have left for a pin weight.

One other thing, I went to a spring shop to see if I could modify my truck with springs and airbags to change the rating. The answer is no!!. Adding springs and airbags are beneficial, they will help stablize the load you are towing, however, without getting an engineer involved to respec your truck's brakes, rearend, etc etc etc, and put his seal on the mods required to recertify the vehicle, suspension mods do not change the ratings that were issued to your truck by the manufacturer when your vehicle came off the line.

Good Luck,

Pte Jack

Last edited by PteJack; 06-08-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added to
Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

^^^^That pretty much explains it....^^^^
Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: sagebrush green
Rep:15
Jaytwo is on a distinguished road

unfortunately you can either get a bigger truck, or a smaller trailer. Those are your only options.

If you want the comfort and economy of the 1500, then you made your choice already, and need to look at a lighter trailer.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram QC 4X4 Hemi
Trim Level: 4X4 SLT Hemi
Color: Light greystone
Rep:54
Boubou will become famous soon enough

There are a lot of threads about towing a 5W with a half ton and most of them turn out negatives. Where are all the threads about the equally overloaded 3/4 and 1 tons towing 5W?
works both ways. I am certain that there are a lot more overloaded, overconfident 3/4 ton trucks towing 5W than half ton towing 5W and I am not sure one is better (or worst) than the other.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Rep:14
Dragonmaster13 is on a distinguished road

You also have to remember our towing capacity with the crew cabs with 3.55 is 8500lbs less any passenger and cargo weight in the truck. With a payload of just over 1600lbs once you take away a passenger or two it leaves you with very little wiggle room for pin weight which is usually 20-25% of a 5th wheel which is 1280lbs on the light side (which never happens BTW). Your payload would be way overloaded on the 1500 with any cargo in the trailer or any added passengers.

I wouldn't stress the truck like that and tow a 5th wheel with a truck that clearly states in the Owner's manual "Not recommended for 5th wheel towing". JMO based on facts.