DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeele1 View Post
Dumb question, but when I drove my ram off the lot, was it filled with regular oil or synthetic?
Mine had Regular oil, i think they all come off the lot with Regular oil, synthetic would cost the manufacture too much, but you can ask that on your oil change they put in synthetic.
Sponsored links
Old 06-07-2012, 01:44 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:632
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

to the op, for me, an over the counter synthetic like m1, penzoil, ect. is easier than getting amsoil. i don't do extended oil change intervals so imho the amsoil top shelf is a waste of dollars. i change my oil every 6 months. i use a KN "white" filter as i like the nut on the end and the specs read well. fram at one time, early eighties, was considered top shelf. they easily handled 3000 mile oil changes, but the bottom tier fram has not really changed and have some failures. there are those that use their up scale filters with good results. you will get many opinions on what you should use. for me it comes down to what easily available when i am ready to change the oil. i only stock up on oil and filters if i find a great sail at my local stores.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: While
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:29
Chugbug is on a distinguished road

For me I'm letting the dealership do my oil changes at least for the first 36,000, it cost a few dollars more but they have a record. A persons choice in oil is their taste, everyone has an opinion on that....the only thing that confuses me on my 2012 is the manual says oil change at 8,000, I normally do it every 5,000 by the dealer recommends every 3,000. I'm sticking to every 5,000...
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White-W7
Rep:139
Hemi N Haw will become famous soon enoughHemi N Haw will become famous soon enough

I religiously use mobil 1. I have used almost every brand of oil ever made in my daily commuter. I like ams oil but it's a c.h. away from the performance I get w/ mobil. I did also dig the way she ran w/ the castrol gold. But I always come back to mobil 1. Nothing but 5W 20 ext perf in my hemi. I also swap back & forth between mobil 1 filters & bosche. I change my blood every 3 thousand. Even though it could go more I'm just old school that way. But yea, I guess as long as it's 5W 20 any synthetic will do ya.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Crew Cab Laramie
Color: Maroon
Rep:10
Redrock is on a distinguished road

The service manager at my dealership told me that they don't come with "break in" oil anymore. Said they have partial synthetic. I told him that I want to switch to full synthetic and he said wait until I get 12000 miles on the odo before I switch to get a good break in. Any thoughts on that? I've already had to do my first oil change, I am about 500 miles away from my 6000 mile change.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

There is no reason not to switch to full synthetic oil at the first oil change. Synthetic oil does not keep a motor from 'breaking in'.

Your service manager is incorrect.

I switched mine to Mobil 1 5W-20 after the first oil change done by the dealer. My truck had around 3500 miles on it then, and I change my oil every 5-6K miles since. Currently have 11K miles on my '11 and it runs perfectly.

I use Motorcraft FL-820S filters. Definitely stray away from the Fram filters. Pure junk.

Darin

Last edited by dkerr24; 06-08-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

I have always used DinoCo and Fram filters every 5000kms on all of my vehicles since 1984. Never an issue. You guys have bullied me into buying a K&N filter for my next oil change.

Cheers. It's Friday Niiiiiiiiiiiight!