DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Noise from Drivetrain help

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  docdave78 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 4wd Dodge Ram QC. I was pulling a stump out last week, had the truck in 4Lo and 1st gear (auto) idled to put tension on the tow strap, and very slowly accelerated forward until the tires spun a little. Front tires were on the pavement and chirped. I put the brakes and emergency brake on and went back to work on the stump to cut the smaller tap roots that were now exposed in the hole I had dug down around the stump.

I pulled on the stump a couple more times repeating the cutting process, this time only the back tires would spin a tad on the grass as i didn't want to strain the truck.

I'm now getting a humming sound coming from under the truck and my mileage has dropped about a mile per gallon.

The humming sound sounds like mud tires on pavement but the pitch doesn't change when I hit different surfaces so I'm thinking it may be drive train related, either something still engaged or some other issue.

I took the truck into my yard and gunned it to see if the front tires were spinning to see if the 4wd was still engaged even though the switch is off and the indicator light is off, only the back tires spun. I can even hear the servos engage and disengage when I use the 4wd switch.

The truck has 100k miles and I've only really used 4Hi when driving in the winter.

Any ideas on what I should look for this weekend when I'm under the truck? I'm debating whether to put the truck on stands in the driveway to see if at idle all 4 wheels spin.

Thanks for any help.
Dave

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.