DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Deep cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Bwgas is on a distinguished road
Default Oil filters

What's the best oil filter to use and what do you use ???
Sponsored links
Old 06-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012
Rep:13
pogster is on a distinguished road

You'll get wide and varied answers as as a question like that is like asking which political party you should support. I can only ask you use the search function near the top of the page for an answer, err, opinion and read away.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

i use the kn white filters, mostly for the nut on the end. google for the specs and you can decide if it is any good. your question is like asking what the best oil is.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

also you can check out the oil filter section on bitog forum. might give you some good info.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

My thought is, even with oil filters , you get what you pay for.
If you buy a $4 oil filter & it is defective, you have no one to blame but yourself, (cheaper Fram oil filters, for instance), Fram also makes premium quality oil filters

There are so many perfectly good oil filter brands, many are made by just a few companies
CLARCOR
Champion Laboratories
Baldwin/Hastings,
Donaldson,
Purolator,
Dana/WIX
Amsoil & Royal Purple don't say who makes their oil filters, likely it is one of the above companies
Honeywell use to own the Fram brand, now a large New Zealand Company called The Rank Group is running Fram & several other automotive brands
http://www.rankgroup.co.nz/

I use a WIX 57899, they also make Carquest & Napa Gold oil filters
Amsoil is a good filter & that company also sells WIX
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 06-08-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:20 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram CC 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black (PX8)
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:388
ONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really niceONOutdoorsman is just really nice

Have a Fram Tough Guard on for the last 5000kms. A K&N is waiting to replace it in 2000kms. I'm hoping for at least 20 more hp.

Cheers. It's Friday Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
htaylor is on a distinguished road

Does anyone have any thoughts on Fleetguard Filters?

LF3681 is the standard filter
LF16002 has the synthetic media upgrade

I was wondering because the truck is nearly due for it's 2nd oil change (I will do it myself) and I can buy these at cost from work.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 RAM 3500 CC DRW
Trim Level: ST and SLT mix
Color: SILVER
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
mwr2452 is on a distinguished road

This is a tough one, but unless you are operating in an extremely dusty dirty area, any of the paper media or better will more than meet your needs. Oil is an area where people buy more oil than they need to (thanks OEM for the decades of convincing us that oil had to be changed every 3000 miles). OR you totally neglect it altogether.
My late model modified racer engine is running the whole season on the same amsoil and filter. We will see what that looks like and I will add it to this forum as well as a few other I belong to. This is as stated earlier by another poster, a turkey shoot-ask 100 people, get 100 answers. I'm ASE certified mechanic and Parts pro-people buy filters and oil based on their pocket books. I've had many customer driving Lexus or other high dollar cars who want the cheapest oil change we may offer. We try to educate them based on our racing experience. You don't need $10 a quart oil and $12 filter in your car when I'm going to see them in 5000 miles anyway. Our business offers free oil analysis for our prefrred customers who are enrolled. THATS the only way to really know when an oil change is needed.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I only found this

Established in 1987, Fleetguard Filters Private Limited is India’s leading manufacturer of heavy duty Air, Fuel, Lube and Hydraulic filters, Air Intake Systems, Coolants and Chemical Products for On and Off highway applications.
Fleetguard is a Cummins group company with a turnover of 5600 million. It is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) supplier to renowned automotive and industrial engine and equipment manufacturers.

Fleetguard has its manufacturing facility at Hosur, Jamshedpur, Pune and Sitarganj (Uttarakhand).

exported to CF USA
LF means Lube Filter

I went to the website that is a forum for bob is the oil guy
the members were raving about how good the standard filter was, some mentioned the synthetic media filter & the general consensus was that they would be buying them
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
htaylor is on a distinguished road

Well, I will most likely be going that route, if it's good enough for Cummins, It's good enough for my truck

I can buy the LF3681 for $3.59, and the LF16002 for $9.81. I just wonder if the synthetic media makes that much of a difference, when changing the oil every 5000 miles.