DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Is a sloppy perfectionist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1694
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III
Default Oil Pans

Anyone have any idea why a 3.9 Dakota oil pan won't fit on a 3.9 1500?

I did a motor swap with a dealer reman for a "friend". His 3.9 blew a rod through the pan (2000 1500 4x2 43K).

So I put the long block together and the "Friend" got a used pan from a scrap yard. I was finishing up the job and while I was under there (he didn't realize the sump tube was in the path of destruction of the wayward rod and had to order a new one...and I wasn't going to wait to drop the engine in waiting for the sump tube)...anyway while I was under there I thought the sump valley looked a little funny but put it up there anyway. Oiled her up, spun it a few times to get some oil pressure, put the coil wire on and fired it.

Bap bap bap bap bap...shut 'er down. Waited until today and he was home and got in the garage to look at the swiss cheese pan. The sump valley (front to back) is about 10 inches the one he got is about 5 1/2 inches.

So I'm thinking...why in the heck would #5 and #6 rods come into contact with the pan???

I mean the 3.9 (94 and up) should be the same block/crank/stroke so what would make the pan different from a Dakota to a 1500? it just doesn't make sense. Is there a different stroke/crank between the two? Or is the dealer reman the issue?

Just wondering.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM
Is a sloppy perfectionist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1694
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I know all of you were on the edge of your seats in anticipation of an answer to this problem. Well I have it just for future reference in case anyone happens to run across this problem.

Problem wasn't the pan. It was the oil sump tube. The smaller sump area caused the tube to be lifted slightly and coming into contact with #4 crank journal.

Sleep well.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

tks warlock, now i can sleep at night. lol