DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, & Solutions - Maintenance & Repair > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > 4th Gen UConnect

Notices

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!
Total Load Control!
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
FGT Motorsport
Bayou Goat Mounts
Mopar Online Parts!

Old 12-29-2015, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Hemi Crew
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Maroon
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
iconic1 is on a distinguished road
Default ipod music to SD/thumb?

Want to dump all music from my iTunes to a SD/thumb drive for use in my truck (uconnect 8.4) so I don't have to keep my ipod classic inside.

Want all the music organized nicely (artist/album/playlist/et) if possible.

Can anyone point me to a sticky or good link?
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:19
Sgt Beavis is on a distinguished road

At some point I guess I'll make a guide with pictures and such. However, failing that, here is a high level description of what you have to do. I assume no liability for these instructions. You MUST you your noggin and think about what you are doing. I haven't written this to be fool proof.

1. Convert your AAC audio files to MP3 in iTunes
- in itunes, navigate to My Music > right click in the column headers and select KIND so you can see what the file type is for each song file.
- Select all of the AAC Audio Files you wish to convert to MP3 with Shift+left click or Ctrl+Left click
- right click on the selected files and select 'Create MP3 version' This will create an MP3 version of all music files. BTW, you need to have enough disk space on your hard drive to do this.
- MP3 files will show up as MPEG audio files under the KIND column.
2. Copy MP3 Files from iTunes to your SD card or USB stick
- your usb stick or SD card must be formatted in FAT32.
- Plug in your USB stick or insert your SD card into your PC
- Open Windows explorer and navigate to your inserted storage device.
- Go to iTunes, sort on the KIND column so your MP3 files are shown together (instead of being mixed around with AAC files.
- use Shift +Left click to select all of your MPEG audio files.
- DRAG and DROP all the selected files to your inserted storage devices under Windows Explorer. This will copy the files to your storage device. It will also capture your album art.
3. Create Playlists that will show up in UConnect.
- you will need to create new playlists or add your MPEG audio files to your existing ones. I highly suggest creating new playlists that are exclusively for your MPEG audio files. Don't mix them up with AAC files.
- In iTunes, go to the Playlists section, create playlists and add MPEG audio files.
- Select the Playlist you wish to Export, then click FILE (at top of iTunes screen) > Library > Export Playlist.
- You need to save the playlist as an m3u file. Be sure to name it the same as the playlist you are exporting (iTunes should do this automatically).
- Save the files into the MUSIC folder on your SD card / USB stick. Click Save
- Repeat for each playlist..
4. EDIT m3u files so they work with SD/USB
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the M3U files on your SD/USB storage device.
- Open first M3U file using NOTEPAD.
- In the M3U file, each song will be shown in this format:
Quote:
#EXTINF:480,Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
D:\Users\SgtBeavis\My Music\Music\Led Zeppelin\The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1\13 Stairway To Heaven.m4a
- you need to edit each entry to look like this:
Quote:
#EXTINF:480,Stairway To Heaven - Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin\The Best Of Led Zeppelin, Vol. 1\13 Stairway To Heaven.mp3
- notice, I took the D:\Users\SgtBeavis\My Music\Music\ out of each PATH line for each song. You don't have this file structure in your SD/USB device, so you just need to start with the name of the folder and subfolder where each song is located.
- to make this change in Notepad, click EDIT > Replace
- in the FINE WHAT field, enter the path you need to get rid of. In my example, it would be:
Quote:
D:\Users\SgtBeavis\My Music\Music\
- this path may be different for you.... use your noggin here
- in the REPLACE WITH field, enter nothing... leave it blank. This will cause the text above to be deleted..
- Click REPLACE ALL

Now take the SD/USB device from your PC and test it out on your UConnect. You may need to do some trial and error but it works perfectly on my UConnect. It sucks that no one has made an effective way to automate this..

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
At some point I guess I'll make a guide with pictures and such. However, failing that, here is a high level description of what you have to do. I assume no liability for these instructions. You MUST you your noggin and think about what you are doing. I haven't written this to be fool proof.

1. Convert your AAC audio files to MP3 in iTunes
- in itunes, navigate to My Music > right click in the column headers and select KIND so you can see what the file type is for each song file.
- Select all of the AAC Audio Files you wish to convert to MP3 with Shift+left click or Ctrl+Left click
- right click on the selected files and select 'Create MP3 version' This will create an MP3 version of all music files. BTW, you need to have enough disk space on your hard drive to do this.
- MP3 files will show up as MPEG audio files under the KIND column.
2. Copy MP3 Files from iTunes to your SD card or USB stick
- your usb stick or SD card must be formatted in FAT32.
- Plug in your USB stick or insert your SD card into your PC
- Open Windows explorer and navigate to your inserted storage device.
- Go to iTunes, sort on the KIND column so your MP3 files are shown together (instead of being mixed around with AAC files.
- use Shift +Left click to select all of your MPEG audio files.
- DRAG and DROP all the selected files to your inserted storage devices under Windows Explorer. This will copy the files to your storage device. It will also capture your album art.
3. Create Playlists that will show up in UConnect.
- you will need to create new playlists or add your MPEG audio files to your existing ones. I highly suggest creating new playlists that are exclusively for your MPEG audio files. Don't mix them up with AAC files.
- In iTunes, go to the Playlists section, create playlists and add MPEG audio files.
- Select the Playlist you wish to Export, then click FILE (at top of iTunes screen) > Library > Export Playlist.
- You need to save the playlist as an m3u file. Be sure to name it the same as the playlist you are exporting (iTunes should do this automatically).
- Save the files into the MUSIC folder on your SD card / USB stick. Click Save
- Repeat for each playlist..
4. EDIT m3u files so they work with SD/USB
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the M3U files on your SD/USB storage device.
- Open first M3U file using NOTEPAD.
- In the M3U file, each song will be shown in this format:

- you need to edit each entry to look like this:

- notice, I took the D:\Users\SgtBeavis\My Music\Music\ out of each PATH line for each song. You don't have this file structure in your SD/USB device, so you just need to start with the name of the folder and subfolder where each song is located.
- to make this change in Notepad, click EDIT > Replace
- in the FINE WHAT field, enter the path you need to get rid of. In my example, it would be:

- this path may be different for you.... use your noggin here
- in the REPLACE WITH field, enter nothing... leave it blank. This will cause the text above to be deleted..
- Click REPLACE ALL

Now take the SD/USB device from your PC and test it out on your UConnect. You may need to do some trial and error but it works perfectly on my UConnect. It sucks that no one has made an effective way to automate this..

Good luck.
Thanks very much for this!
Old 03-10-2016, 07:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2016 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
dryfly46 is on a distinguished road

I have had trouble getting my ipod to play on the Uconnect so I downloaded Media Monkey and converted the music files to mp3. It will also let you edit file names, etc. Copied all the files to a USB flashdrive and it works fine.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I ended up just plugging in my (older) iPod Classic to the usb and leaving it in the truck. Love it.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2015 Ram 2500 Mega cab 4X4
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Bob1340 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic1 View Post
I ended up just plugging in my (older) iPod Classic to the usb and leaving it in the truck. Love it.
That's what I did as well. I actually use my old iPhone 4s for this. Anything more technological than plugging in a cord is beyond me.