DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing

Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Green
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
seanm is on a distinguished road
Default Best product for removing superficial scratches?

So it seems like every time I come out to the parking lot I have a new scratch on my truck. The joys of living on an Army base I suppose.

Anyways what's the recommended product to remove the smaller scratches?

And while I'm at it, what's everyones favorite cleaning supplies for their trucks? Interior, exterior, tires, etc. I just wanted to know what the best out there was.
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2012, 03:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Flame Red
Rep:64
Rescue1 will become famous soon enough

I prefer the meguiar's Professional products, most you can find at NAPA stores. There are so many good products out there, and then there is some crap. The other problem is, this question is like asking which oil to use, so many opinions, so little time. Just use what works best for you..For me I clay, glaze(polish) and wax. I use either a good carnauba in the summer(for the deeper look) and a synthetic in the winter for the durability.

As far as scratches go check out meguiar's site. They have a video that shows their scratch X product. It works pretty well for swirl marks and such. Not sure how deep your "Superficial" scratch is, but if your finger nail gets stuck in it you have some work ahead of you to get rid of it. If it's less of a scratch then try the scratch X. I am sure others have some good ideas as well, either way good luck...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:03 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dk Cherry Red
Rep:14
dkerr24 is on a distinguished road

I have similar issues with parking at the local Air Force base. I get to work 30 mins early and carefully pick a parking spot that is on a end spot and not near a foot traffic area. Extra 1/4 mile walk to my building, but so far the extra diligence has paid off.

Most of the scratches you are getting are most likely from careless folks walking too close and their backpack zippers are scratching down the side of your truck.

Darin
Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd try polishing compound and if that doesn't work then I'd try rubbing compound. If that doesn't take it out I'd leave it. You can wet sand scratches out but this thins the clear coat. I'd rather have a small scratch in a good paint job than have the paint start peeling in a couple years. JMO.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Color: Black
Rep:10
testiclops is on a distinguished road

Use polish for surface scratches.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

lets have a looksie at those scratches...it will definately help someone suggesting a product...

also the rule of thumb is to start with the least aggressive correction method/product first (seems pretty obvious, but you'd be surprised at people that throw an overly aggressive compound on a rotary buffer with a wool pad that only needed a glaze/polish and instilled more scratches/swirls than before their correction).
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Old 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm View Post
So it seems like every time I come out to the parking lot I have a new scratch on my truck. The joys of living on an Army base I suppose.

Anyways what's the recommended product to remove the smaller scratches?

And while I'm at it, what's everyones favorite cleaning supplies for their trucks? Interior, exterior, tires, etc. I just wanted to know what the best out there was.
Pictures are good [asking for pictures tends to end threads though].

Do you want to invest in a machine? i.e Dual Action Polisher

Do you want to stick to over the counter polishes/products? There are hundreds of brands that most people don't know about that are significantly better than over the counter options.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Color: Green
Rep:21
seanm is on a distinguished road

Lets see if these help. If they go through.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough

Might be able to clean up the outside part of the scratch in the second pic, but I think the scratch right in the center of it all will need some touch up paint. All the other pics will also need touch up as they all look to be into the primer. You will need a machine, cutting poish and cutting pads in order to fix that. Might be able to clean up a little bit of pic 3, but I think most of it will still be there after the fact.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold

i pretty much agree with jayincali...but for me, i dont know if id consider the touch up unless it was right down to metal (maybe the primer).

the pics are a little hard to see truthfully, but try and run the back of your nail across the scratch in the second pic...if it catches, its likely not coming out...but it may be able to be hidden. try first with a polish (i've used wolfgang with good results and Klasse with alright results[i think i needed an orange pad on the BMW i corrected instead of the white], but there are other quality products out there like Menzerna, Meguiars etc.) The polish will cut the edge of the scratch a little more so it is less refractive of light, therefore making it less noticable from a distance (youll always see it up close...especially cause you know it is tehre) Alternatively, a qualoty glaze will fill it in...people always forget about the power of a good glaze.

since you asked, and if your using a machine, Id recommend trying a polish over a compound first. if it doesn't come out to your satisfaction with the polish, id hit er with some glaze then seal it...as long as you keep up on topping the wax and take care not to instill more scratches swirls, you'd likely be satisfied.
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!