DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits All custom mods on the outside of your Dodge Ram. Custom Dodge Ram Body Kits, Custom Paint, Grilles, Camper Tops, Bed Liners, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Hood spears or no? If so, which color?
Nah, those won't look so great on your truck. 14 17.72%
Yes, go for it....gloss black!! 8 10.13%
Yes, go for it....matte black!! 57 72.15%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
Rep:145
Racerdamon will become famous soon enoughRacerdamon will become famous soon enough

No problem washing and I wax around them, I have seen people wax them some with ok results and some with very bad results so I have decided to play it safe!!
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2012, 02:40 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Hemi SLT 4x4
Trim Level: Bighorn
Color: Stone White
Rep:132
Upstater will become famous soon enoughUpstater will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Upstater, that looks great. I don't really know why but I like the war paint stripes on the fourth gens a lot better than on the third gens....maybe it's the slightly more angled look of the fourth gens that blends with the stripes.

Talk about fast shipping.... I ordered the spears Saturday night and they are being delivered today! I'm excited!! Couple of questions...I just, like last week, waxed the hood. What should I use to make sure I cut all the wax off? Will washing in dish detergent and then wiping the area down with rubbing alcohol be sufficient?

Also, anyone had any problems with washing or waxing vinyl? I handwash, of course, so that shouldn't be too rough on them. Would it be safe to wax over them or should I avoid the spears altogether? Thanks!
When I put mine on that's all I did (wash then wipe with alcohol). They've been on for over a year now with no problems.

As far as waxing, IMO the reality is that like trying to avoid black trim, you never get it 100% correct... something always ends up getting on the trim. For this reason I experimented and found that Griot's premium carnauba wax stick on an orbital polisher works great, and doesn't discolor any vinyl, rubber, etc.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Well they came in today but it's storming out so I won't be putting them on until tomorrow or maybe Wednesday. I peeled a corner back to have a look and I'm not entirely convinced that I didn't receive gloss black instead of matte black. We will see I guess.

To the guys that have vinyl....did you install it yourself? If so, what method did you use? The directions that came with these say to mix a water solution with 5-6 drops of dish detergent and a capful of rubbing alcohol and to spray it on the body panel as well as the adhesive side of the vinyl. This is supposed to allow it to move until you press down hard to stick it in place. I'm a little apprehensive about spraying the adhesive. Was actually thinking of doing it by using masking tape to hold one portion of the decal in place while I lay and smooth out the other portion. Thoughts?
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Well they came in today but it's storming out so I won't be putting them on until tomorrow or maybe Wednesday. I peeled a corner back to have a look and I'm not entirely convinced that I didn't receive gloss black instead of matte black. We will see I guess.

To the guys that have vinyl....did you install it yourself? If so, what method did you use? The directions that came with these say to mix a water solution with 5-6 drops of dish detergent and a capful of rubbing alcohol and to spray it on the body panel as well as the adhesive side of the vinyl. This is supposed to allow it to move until you press down hard to stick it in place. I'm a little apprehensive about spraying the adhesive. Was actually thinking of doing it by using masking tape to hold one portion of the decal in place while I lay and smooth out the other portion. Thoughts?
It's really as easy as it sounds. Don't bother with the masking take or anything else, you want to be able to slide them around for proper positioning. Just mix up the water/soap solution, spray the hood well and soak the decal with it. Set the decal roughly in place on the hood, then slide it into position. Once I had it where I wanted it I started using the squeegee working from the center to the outer ends; at first when it's still really wet mine didn't want to stick in the inside curve of the hood, but as soon as it starts to tack up in a few minutes it sticks really well - so be sure it's where you want it! I don't exactly recall the rest, but I'm pretty sure you wait for the outer paper to dry, then slowly peel away, then rub it down gently with a soft rag. Use a sharp razor blade to trim the decal where it crosses the hood/fender line, spray them with some of the soap solution and wrap them into the joint. I used some black electrical tape inside the fender/hood line to help hold the decal in place, and to carry on the appearance of the line when the hood is closed. Worked like a charm!
Old 06-18-2012, 09:43 PM

starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Okay.....I'll give it a shot then. I was just apprehensive about spraying anything moist on the adhesive, especially with alcohol in it. I could definitely see how being able to move it a little would help get them both positioned exactly. I just didn't want to risk weakening the adhesive. My schedule just changed so it's definitely going to be Wednesday. I'll be sure to post a photo and results. Thanks for the info!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 AM

They're designed to be sprayed down, you'll be good. Be sure to post some pics!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:26 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram R/T
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:59
Mate2011RT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Okay.....I'll give it a shot then. I was just apprehensive about spraying anything moist on the adhesive, especially with alcohol in it. I could definitely see how being able to move it a little would help get them both positioned exactly. I just didn't want to risk weakening the adhesive. My schedule just changed so it's definitely going to be Wednesday. I'll be sure to post a photo and results. Thanks for the info!
I've never added alcohol to the mix - just clean water and soap (I filter the water and use color/scent free soap). You will be amazed at how easy and actually fun it turns out to be, especially if you are freaking out at first - it really will be easier than you expect.

Two quick things, if I might:
- if you are doing it in the driveway, I'd suggest putting up a tarp or some cover to keep the sun off while working; hot spots can be a pain to keep things evenly wet, and the glare can cause you to make mistakes.
- Second is when you are using your squeegie, make sure the blade is very clean and very smooth so you do not mar the surface, and do NOT press too hard. If you go at the decals in super OCD mode, you can stretch parts of it. You need to be hard enough to run the solution out, not hard enough to meld it into your clearcoat!

Once they set up and dry, then let it bake in the sun. If there are some bubbles, leave them alone for a day, and let the sun bake them out. If they are still there a day later, use a pin to poke a hole in the bubble, and gently squeegie it flat. Again, the sun should do the rest.

Hope it helps, have fun, and give us some pics when done!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad Cab Sport
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:251
2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough2011 ASSAULT 800 is a jewel in the rough

When I read the titile I thought oh no some sort of death metal type spikes or something hahahah I think they will look great!
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM

Sorry guys...I have been trying to get ready to be out of town for a few days and simply ran out of daylight before I made it to the stripes. It's looking like it's going to be Sunday or maybe Monday at the latest. I will update with pics then.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:13 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 4x4 Crew-Cab
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Black over Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:31
Hardware is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to seeing how this goes...
MODS: BAKFlip F1; Head Rack; WeatherTech mud-flaps, vent visors & bug deflector; Cabella's rear seat cover; cabin air filter; Geno's Grill Quick Release Kit, PIAA Xtreme headlamps (Highs, Lows and Foglamps), WeatherTech DigitalFit Floorliners.