DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold
Default utility trailer :(

well i bought a small utility trailer today and found out that well its a total b!tch to back up lol. I have never towed a trailer before and dont want to continue to be the jack @$$ on the street getting out and lifting the thing into place. please help me and tell me some tips to get better at this.... i will take it to practice on my day off but i have come dang close to jacknifeing the f'in thing.
Sponsored links
Old 06-18-2012, 02:12 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

The smaller the trailer, the more difficult it is to back up. What makes it even worse is some of the small utility trailers you can't even see the trailer in your mirrors until they have turned almost too far to recover from.

If you can see the trailer in the mirrors, then drive forward in a straight line, come to a complete stop and study your mirrors for awhile to get a very good perspective of what the trailer looks like when it's perfectly straight behind you. Then, driving forward, make a sharp turn to almost the steering lock and stop and study. When your backing up, if you get to this point, you likely cannot back your way out of it.

After that, spend a lot of time in an empty parking lot with lines and create challenges for yourself. Start real simple like drive from one parking stall to another in a straight line, then back up to where you started. There is no substitute for practicing.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 06-18-2012, 07:12 AM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Try two of those orange markers like the ones on snow plows on the back corners.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Vehicle: 2014 VW Jetta GLI
Color: Metalic Black
Rep:1358
Excoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud ofExcoastie has much to be proud of

when backing, place your hand at the bottom/ center of the steering wheel, then turn the wheel (pushing your hand) in the direction that you wish to turn.....

with a lot of practice it can be done

good luck

Exco
Oracle Interior LEDs, EGR Vent Visors, Ram eyes, Husky Liner Splash Guards, R/T Badges Front and Rear, LED Light Bar, Stubby Radio Antenna, Custom Shift Knob, ARE LS II bed cover, Bed Rug, Flowmaster 50 series HD, SilverStar Ultra low beams, K&N drop in filter, MOPAR sill guards, Smitty Built nerf bars, 24% tint on the front.
Bill
Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

What I found to help me as I could not see the trailer other than the back gate was to install a rear camera. It really makes it easier. Like everyone says practice helps alot. The more you use it the better you will get. So for now don't park where you have to back up.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

I saw some magnetic poles with what looks like tennis balls on top to help you line up the trailer with the hitch at an auto parts store. Pep Boys where I live. After you connect you can move them to the rear corners of the trailer. They also had a small camera that attaches to the license plate that could either help or make it worse. SLOW is the name of the game. I have a small cargo and it takes me a while to back up with it and I try to always park so I can drive straight out just to make it easy(lazy).
Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I rarely tow a trailer, and can't back up using the mirrors(probably could if I practiced and did it often) but whenever I do tow I can backup with a trailer just fine if I turn around and look out the back window. My mind just can't function quick enough using the mirrors.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:24 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:42
IH Scout Driver is on a distinguished road

When I started pulling a trailer, I had to back up around the block and keep the trailer moving in a "straight" line with as few corrections as possible. This also meant keeping it in my lane as the road was being utilized by regular traffic as well. It was a mile per side of my "block" and took me a couple attempts before I could do it accurately. There was a lot of time practicing around the corn field and in the yard.

Another important lesson was "don't back up any further than absolutely necessary".

It takes practice, and a lot of it to get proficient with backing trailers.

Since I don't have a rear window (topper with solid rear door), I do all my backing by mirror, so I'm used to it. Smaller utility trailers really suck if you cannot see them in the mirrors; as mentioned above. The magnetic alignment balls mentioned above are great additions, as are reflectors on pole, or anything that is at the rear of the trailer so you can see it in your mirrors. You really want to be able to see the rearmost section of the trailer in your mirror to know where it is at.

Another tip, always start in a straight line, not half turned as this will screw you up and get you closer to a jack knife.

One final tip; don't blind side your trailer. By this, I mean always try to start your backing experience with turning the trailer towards the drivers side of the vehicle. You have a different style mirror on the passenger side and the perception is considerably different, it is more likely to jack knife on you when turning towards the passenger side than on the drivers. I know that this is not always possible or efficient, but provides a safer backing experience.

Good luck and be careful out there.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 AM

Vehicle: Jeep GC WK
Rep:964
hemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to beholdhemiv8dodgeram1500 is a splendid one to behold

thanks everyone for the tips
Old 06-21-2012, 03:41 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4
Trim Level: Sport 4x4 SLT
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:26
Crobber is on a distinguished road

I think you are referring to hooking up the trailer.

I know of two simple ways that worked pretty effective for me. There are some yellow reflective poles that you can buy they are about 3-4 ft tall and are magnetic. They stick to the ball and the hitch. Once you line up, the poles get knocked off.
http://www.cabelas.com/rv-travel-tra...:referralID=NA - Link for reference.
Or when your out and just need to do it quick grab some white tape marker or something visible and tape a spot on top of your tailgate so you have a reference where exactly the ball is at.

As far as backing. Most of its practice. If there turn is execptionally difficult I take the time to line my mirrors out further to where I am going to place the trailer.

Experience - tow 2-6 horse trailers (often cant see the back of the trailer because its takes forever. and its all estimating how close I am to buidling/cars etc..)

and I think its harder to back up a smaller trailer but easier to correct.

But nothing beats that ooo S$#t moment when you hauling a fully loaded truck and trailer and you need to stop on a dime and you know its not going to happen.

Last edited by Crobber; 06-21-2012 at 04:08 AM.