DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Ram R/T

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 dodge ram
Trim Level: rumble bee
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
christopher77 is on a distinguished road
Default bbk throttle bodie and headers

i have a 12 RT. and im thinking about these mods bbk throttle bodie and headers. has anyone done them and what was the gains? what one would be better 85mm or 90mm? i already have thje k&n cai.

Last edited by christopher77; 06-18-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

the bbk might throw a code w/o a tune and since u cant tune that might create a problem

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you have supporting mods you won't see much difference with the throttle body or headers unless you can tune it. Running my headers I threw a high O2 voltage code and it adjusts the tune down killing some power. If you run both you'll be throwing codes for sure and the engine will pull timing to compensate which defeats the whole purpose of the mods.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

In my opinion "bigger" throttle bodies are useless...the stock throttle body is 80mm, the inlet on the intake is 85mm. 5mm more isn't ever going to be noticeable, maybe I'm missing something but I would spend the money in other areas.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Bigger throttle bodies aren't useless, but you should have the mods in place to take advantage of the higher volumetric flow rates. If you drop an 85mm onto a stock engine w/ stock exhaust then you won't see any noticable gains. But the same 85mm on a set of ported heads, cam, headers, etc will make a big difference as you are allowing more air at a higher velocity to enter and exit the combustion chamber. It is definately in the realm of supporting mods, not a standard bolt-on like so many people treat it. But we all know that the butt-dyno never lies.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:53 AM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

well yea I suppose if you go into the engine internals and start messing around it could be beneficial, But like you said as just a bolt on accessory....not the greatest

Old 06-21-2012, 01:12 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frickenbored View Post
In my opinion "bigger" throttle bodies are useless...the stock throttle body is 80mm, the inlet on the intake is 85mm. 5mm more isn't ever going to be noticeable, maybe I'm missing something but I would spend the money in other areas.
On their own, yes, they are almost always not worth the money you spend.

However....

Bigger TB plus headers plus exhaust plus intake plus a custom tune [not canned] and you have a damn good combo.

I've used this method [and then some] on more than a few vehicles in the past.

Grub out!
Old 01-27-2013, 12:54 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Bright White
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

This is an old tread I did back in the day and everyone here was saying the larger throttle body was a waist of money, but now everyone is doing this so what gives???
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Because the highly modified guys are doing it, so everyone wants to do it. I have to laugh when I see people buying the "ported" TBs that still have a stock diameter butterfly valve. I can understand going to a full diameter TB, and with sufficient bolt-ons it can take advantage of the higher flow demands, but on a near stock motor it's still just one more thing for people to spend money on. Hell, we've at least curbed the throttle body spacer belief lately.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:36 AM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Bright White
Rep:312
Chris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the roughChris b is a jewel in the rough

So do you think Moe's 87mm throttle body would help me any with my mods of
K&Ncai / Ypipe / flowmaster / diablo trinity /hemifever tune / 180t / bt catch-can
K&N 63cai\Fastman 84mm\BT catch-can\e-fan\180 t-stat\Flowmaster super44\Belltech 2"-4" 964sp\BT custom shifter\20% tint\light blue racing stripes\BD pillar pod\Diablo trinity\Hemifever custom tune\two Memphis 10" subs\custom ported box\Memphis 600amp\Weathertech techliner\MBRP 5" tips\ ARH 1 7/8 long tube headers