DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram Special Edition Models > Dodge Power Wagon

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
Txhillbilly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandell View Post
So no one here has added a leveling kit to a current generation Power Wagon? I was hoping that the Power Wagons may have a longer track bar and control arms than the standard 2500's.
Daystar is the only company that makes a leveling kit for the Power Wagon that I know of,and it's only a 1" kit. I measured mine,and it only has 1.5" of difference,so the 1" kit should look fine.

I'm putting a Rancho 4" lift on mine,and Rancho says that it will fit 37/12.5R17's on stock rims without rubbing,but I'm debating on changing the wheels to ones with a 4.5-5" backspace over the factory wheels that are a 6" backspace.
Sponsored links
Old 06-21-2012, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

This was my thought process. I like the looks of the new 2500's with a 4 inch lift and 35 inch tires. The Power Wagon is 2 inches taller than a 2500. So a Power Wagon with a 2 inch leveling kit would give me the ride height I want and I'd have a much better all around setup with the Power Wagon's standard features (4.56 gears, lockers, etc). Plus, you don't see many Hemi powered 2500's on the lots in my area. Everyone seems to want the Cummins.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 08 6-speed Laramie Power Wagon
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
08TwinStickPW is on a distinguished road

You may need to look into a Adj. trackbar if you go any higher up front
Old 06-28-2012, 12:23 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Good point. I had not thought about the track bar. I wonder if the Power Wagon has the same track bar and control arms as a standard 2500. Even if a track bar is needed with a leveling kit, that is still less hassle than installing a full 4 inch suspension lift on a standard 3/4 ton.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 08 6-speed Laramie Power Wagon
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
08TwinStickPW is on a distinguished road

PW's suspension is the same as a normal 2500's front suspension other than Springs, shocks and Disco Sway bar from what I have Read on other forums.

That's why most of use go to the 1/2" longer Carlie/Thuren Control arms for a better ride and more clearance for 35's (at least on the 3rd Gens)
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Power Wagon
Rep:256
battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough
Default Power Wagon Accessories

I have been on the forum for awhile, but I dont post much. I traded my '10 1500 for an '11 Power Wagon last year. Like most of you I have been looking for some quality upgrades so here is a brief list of vendors that have some products that you guys might like. I will not hyperlink as I dont want to break any rules, so just google your hearts out.

AEV: Procal - Designed for JK's, but will actually work on Ram trucks too. No tuning ability but will allow you to correct for tire size, gear ratio, turn on DRL and many other functions. About $150 I have personally tried it to make sure it works (2011 PW turned on DRL and corrected for tire size)!

Rock Slide Engineering: Just released their Power Wagon Rock Rails. Real rock rails that you can use for highlift jacking point and protect your body.

Aluminess: Can make rock rails for Power Wagon as well, not on their site, call and ask. Available in steel, alum, and ChroMo

Pure Performance (RockKrawler for you Jeep guys): Several PW specific lift options as well as Power Wagon specific components (someone mentioned an Adjustable Track Bar? They make it).

Carli Suspenion: Expensive, but PW specific and top quality parts.

Rancho, BDS, Fabtech: all make solid lifts.

Daystar: and a few others I cant remeber off the top of my head make leveling kits compatable with 4th Gen PW's.

Iron Bull, Ranch Hand, Fab Fours, and many others now make 2500 and PW specific bumpers in many flavors for you to choose from.

I have a much longer list of vendors, but I am in Afghanistan right now so that is what I had off the top of my head!

Hope this helps someone out!
Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Power Wagon
Color: Silver
K9ExDet is on a distinguished road

I added a leveling kit one specific sold by davesmith the dealership that sells 1000 vehicles a month. They use a specific brand only for there 2 inch leveling kit. Next for correct alignment as our PW have strait axles in the front with non adjustable ball joints to get the ride factory perfect the dealership or les schwab simply replaces the ball joint with an adjustable one. Mine rides like stock and im running the crazy nitto grappler tires which are an aggressive tire. No issues once the ball joints were replaced and adjusted by the tire store Les Schwab. According to the dealer, and les schwab its a common issue on the strait axle PW when adding larger tires to replace the non adjusting ball joints to accomplish factory ride quality. Mine rides perfect with no issues.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

battlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the roughbattlerattle is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9ExDet View Post
I added a leveling kit one specific sold by davesmith the dealership that sells 1000 vehicles a month. They use a specific brand only for there 2 inch leveling kit. Next for correct alignment as our PW have strait axles in the front with non adjustable ball joints to get the ride factory perfect the dealership or les schwab simply replaces the ball joint with an adjustable one. Mine rides like stock and im running the crazy nitto grappler tires which are an aggressive tire. No issues once the ball joints were replaced and adjusted by the tire store Les Schwab. According to the dealer, and les schwab its a common issue on the strait axle PW when adding larger tires to replace the non adjusting ball joints to accomplish factory ride quality. Mine rides perfect with no issues.

Ball joints only affect the camber. Unless you had a bad ball joint or a bent "C" there is no reason to replace them. Alignment is adjusted through the control arms to set location and caster and thru the drag link to set toe. I would really like to know what exactly they are "adjusting" using an indexing ball joint? If they felt the factory camber was bad, ok, but that really wont effect ride quality, tire wear maybe.

Ball joints attach the outer knuckle to the inner knuckle on a fixed plane creating two pivot points. On a solid axle vehicle the camber (tilt of the tire in or out of the wheel well as measured on a vertical plane from the driving surface at the center of the wheel. i.e. very top of the tire tilted in or out). That plane is set from the factory by the casting of the hard parts and is non adjustable. Indexing or "adjustable" ball joints are designed to correct for (on solid axle vehicles) a bend in one of the knuckles (95%+ its the inner "C") to put it back in factory spec.

It sounds as if they may have used the adjustable ball joints to pitch the top of the knuckle back instead of in to gain caster due to lack of adjustment in the factory control arms. If that is the case they have done you a huge disservice. That type of adjustment will create a bind over the long term and lead to premature ball joint failure and huge alignment issues (yes I am aware people have run adjustable ball joint for decades). The correct solution would have been to purchase and install a set of adjustable lower control arms (or better yet a full set) for around $200 and set the caster in the method the factory intended.

I am glad you are happy with the ride quality you got and the service you feel you received, but I hope people do not use your solution as "Fix" to not purchasing the right parts. That kind of fix can lead to catastrophic failure, and if that happens in motion that can kill you or someone else. And in all honesty if your post in the other thread was accurate, purchasing the right parts would have actually been cheaper (you mentioned $600 for the BJ and alignment unless I misread).
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Power Wagon
Color: Silver
K9ExDet is on a distinguished road

yes thats correct it was 514 the dealer paid the bill for it to les schwab. Im not worried about the cost though by all means if your soultion is better I will look into. So far I am happy with the fix. However if its not the best fix then I will look to change it. Can you name the part and location to purchase that specific part? or parts? I will discuss it with them tomorrow and see about getting that installed. Im sure a small part like this wont effect warranty. I am suprised that the fix I have can lead to catastrophic failure as you say especially with this fix being done daily by Les Schwab you would think they would not touch it if the results could be deadly. Of course I here this type of talk in regards to lift kits and many other various mods. I however do not want to compromise or risk safety. Im currently doing small mods to try and maintain the factory warranty.Thanks for the advice and I especially appreciate the safety aspect.

Last edited by K9ExDet; 07-02-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: info
Old 07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Here ya go. Plenty of companies make them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ram+2500+adjustable+control+arms

Catasrophic failure is probably not very likely, but it still puts the inner and outter "C"s working on disimilar planes which is not good and not within the design parameters. I actually called my local Les Schwab (I know the manager) and asked if they do this. They stated some techs will but they refuse too at their location due to liability issues.

In the end I guess it just bugs me to see techs "fixing" something for a customer (you) that spent $50k plus on a vehicle and doing said "fix" in a way that is not correct and cost you (or in this case your dealer) more money. I consider that dishonesty and gouging.