DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Bilstein 5100s, Hell Bent, Daystar, ReadyLift ?
Bilstein 5100 163 85.79%
Hell Bent 15 7.89%
Daystar 10 5.26%
ReadyLift 10 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn
Color: White/ Gold
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
LonghornRam12 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links, thats good info. Im waitin to get of this job then im for sure gonna put them on. Just havent decided if I'm gonna put the reg 5100s on the back.

Thanks for the help though

Quote:
Originally Posted by starquestbd22 View Post
Longhorn, the adjustable 5100s are the only ones that give any sort of lift. The regular 5100s are just replacement struts. Some poeple like to order the regular ones to go on the back to compliment the adjustables in the front. This is what I did on my old 2006 Ram and it rode great....just right. My experience with the Bilsteins on that truck and the gobs of info that I have read about them is what I am basing my opinion on.

Here is the link to the comparison I spoke of earlier.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...WebArticle.pdf

And here is a link to the strut you would need for the front....
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-187367/1502249

And the rear, just in case you want those too....
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-187374/1502249
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

Being that your truck is basically new (assuming anyway since it's a 2012) I think the decision to put the Bilsteins on the rear is basically just one of personal preference and finances. If I were you I would probably consider getting atleast 40K miles or so out of the rear stockers before I switched but that's just me. The main reason I put them on the back of my 2006 was because it was approaching 70K miles on the stockers and I got a really good deal in them from someone who bought them and then needed his money back before he installed them. Good luck with your decision!
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: black
Rep:12
itsreese is on a distinguished road

I ordered a set of 4 from THmotorsports about a week and a half ago... kind of lame, becuase the shocks were hard to find, one shipped from KY, one shipped from PA and both struts shipped from CA. So I got one shock friday, one saturday, and UPS slates delivery of my struts ond of day today. The plan is to get them in before the 4th.

The 2 reasons i went with the 5100s are the fact they are a true "upgrade" not simply a spacer. they increase ride performance, and are used in mopar 2" lift kits as well as OEM performance GM, TOYOTA and other catalogs.

the other reason (and this is preference and opinion) but on a 2011 i want something the dealer will stand by. i was considering the 2" spacers but those stayed in the mopar catalog about as long as it took to clear a fart in the wind. if the dealership wont offer it, i dont want to put it on my warrantied truck.

as far as warranties go, ive read a few things and per the MOPAR CATALOG, they are aperformace upgrade and arent under warranty, so if you blow a bilstien strut off roading, its your dime to repair/replace. but since its a mopar listed part it wont void other parts of the warranty, and if installed properly any damages it causes (under normal road conditions of course) will be warrantied. i have read on here that some dealerships will warranity the full kit-n-kaboodle but that seems to be an dealer independent gig, and id get it in writing.

STARQUEST, what issues have you heard of when shops installing them? i am debating between doing it myself or having a shop do it. they quoted me $125 to put them in and when i told them they were the adjustable 5100s they said 125, 150 if they had to re-adjust them to get the leveling right. my ram is a 2011 with under 6K miles on it and i have heard with under 10K everything should come out pretty easy, and i was going to rent a spring compressor, or see if the shop i plan to get it alligned at would for $20-$40 swap the spring to a new strut if i brought the 4 struts in off the ram..
Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
Color: Brilliant Black Pearl
Rep:222
BLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura aboutBLKSVT has a spectacular aura about

I wouldn't have done any other level, the bilsteins are by far the best. I opted to keep the rear stockers for now and will switch them out with bisteins later this year when I get more miles on them.

"MPG???...I get Smiles Per Gallon!"
2010 RAM SPORT CC 4x4 Hemi
Diablo Tuner, Mufflex 14, Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks, 3.5 lift, 35 in mud tires
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thanks for all th help. I am about to buy them for the front for sure, Waiting to get the back is a good idea.

What about the size you adjust them to? Does anyone have a 2012 ram 1500 that has these on them?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: black
Rep:12
itsreese is on a distinguished road

see if autoplicity.com (thmotorsports) has all 4. it was a pain since they shipped form 3 locations but i now have all 4, and paid $380 dropped to my door, i dont think you can beat that. i have the part numbers saved if you cant find them, but looking them up that way yields more searches, i found. searching by vehicle turns out summit, 4x4 off road warehouse, and other bigger names. by PN i found more off name warehouses and found them all day for 100-105 each. this one company happed to have them at 95 and 74 strut/shock.

i havent slapped them in yet. im still sitting the fence on doing them myself or paying someone, since my trucks so new, but i think im being a (female body part)..

seeing has how its less than a dozen bolts to get the strut out, and a spring compressor from there. and the shocks are 3 bolts or something retarded easy, and i have done a cam and roller rocker swap in my driveway on a 95 lt1 camaro and it ran and even dynoed out over 300whp, i think i need to man up and do it myself.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:355
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

itsreese.....The only problem I recall reading about involves a washer that goes on the top part of the front strut. It's been a while but to the best of my memory it goes on the bottom side of the strut mount but a few people have mistakenly installed it on the top of the mount directly under the nut. Just make sure whomever installs them follows the directions to the letter instead of installing them how they think it should go.

Also, not trying to discourage doing it yourself but if you do, make sure you have access to a heavy-duty, preferrably wall-mounted spring compressor. I have read about a few people breaking the cheap parts store rent-a-tool compressors. Also, the 4x4 shop that put mine on my 2006 said that the springs were some of the stiffest ones he had ever compressed...and that was with 70K miles, lol.

I paid $40 total to have the rears put on and $150 to a different shop to have the fronts installed. I had to wait on the fronts because I couldn't find the key to my locking lugs. Anyway, knowing what I know now I would definitely install the rears myself. Paying to have the fronts installed is a personal preference decision but I do think you were quoted a good price. As for the shop having to adjust the setting after install...they do realize that they have to come completely back off to adjust them, right? Kinda weird if they would do a job once for $125 but do it twice for $150. I would do some research and look at some pics and know what setting you want before install. Hope this helps.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

I'll be pulling the trigger on the 5100's as well
I'll order them tomorrow.
Can't wait
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Nice. Post some pics when you get them put on, would love to see it.

Where are you going to get yours if you dont mind me asking. I've found a couple good deals online wanna see if anyone finds them cheaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
I'll be pulling the trigger on the 5100's as well
I'll order them tomorrow.
Can't wait
Old 06-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornRam12 View Post
Nice. Post some pics when you get them put on, would love to see it.

Where are you going to get yours if you dont mind me asking. I've found a couple good deals online wanna see if anyone finds them cheaper...
Ordering tomorrow.
Hope they are in stock and hope to receive them by mid week of next week
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!