DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Bilstein 5100s, Hell Bent, Daystar, ReadyLift ?
Bilstein 5100 177 85.92%
Hell Bent 16 7.77%
Daystar 11 5.34%
ReadyLift 10 4.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
itsreese is on a distinguished road

autoplicity has the best price at 96.74 a strut and has 13 in stock... only one shock in stock but at 73.27 its worth cheching on a back order if you want to do all 4. if you are just doing a front jobbie, then i dont think youre gonna beat that. they arent free shipping, but youll have to find them at 110 each at free shipping to still break even.

Starquest, the whole $25 to redo the front seemed sketch as hell to me too. whos to say they dont get it right then charge me the 150. sure its a good price, but shady none-the-less. Pungo Off Road does them more often, and was at 150 for all 4.

I am active duty military, so i decided to call the base 5 miles from my house and for $5 an hour i can have access to a fill set of someone elses fully organized tools, an air compressor with air tools if needed, a lift and a wall mount and a c clamp style spring compressor. best of all there is another dude there to ask for a second pair of hands since my 100lb wife wont be the most helpful at heavy lifting.

im going to try and see if i cant get the rear shocks in friday after work using jackstands in the driveway or sat before the hobby shop opens at 10. that way i can measure the lift (if any on the rear) to estimate the height i will use on the front.

i have watched the hell out of theyou tube videos for pulling the strut since thats the part that isnt in the instructions with the struts, and it seems very straight forward. and i made sure that when i got my 5100s the struts had instructions, since my shocks had none. but the only things that come in that box are a nut and washer, everything else is re-used from the old strut.

so i think i have decided to do it myself having access to the tools for cheap, but im going to print out as much info as i can to be safe. have you heard anyhting about torque on those nuts for the ball joint or sway arms? all the videos use impact guns, so that means, get it on there 1/4 turn past as tight as you can, but didnt know if anyone here knew.
Sponsored links
Old 06-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

I wonder if maybe the shop that quoted you $25 for the redo thinks that the struts are adjustable without removing them? They certainly are not, lol. I don't see any need to have to adjust them anyway. There are enough pics of third and fourth gen trucks at the various settings to look at and make your decision. Most folks seem to go with the highest setting which is 2.8" on the fourth gens. I have also seen a few go with the next lowest setting, or 2.1". I decided which setting I wanted and put the snap ring in that groove myself. That way when I took them to the shop I didn't have to worry about them screwing it up, lol.

If you have access to that array of tools and have done your homework (which it sounds like you have) then I bet you can pop them in with no problem. Update and post some pics when you get it done!

Oh yeah, as for the rears....I'm not certain but I was under the impression that you didn't even have to jack up the rear to change them? Also, on my third gen the rear 5100s provided exactly zero lift.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.

Last edited by starquestbd22; 06-28-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

yeah... either way i didnt get the warm and fuzzy from them. So, since i have found access to a base hobby shop with all the goodies. i am going to do it myself Sat.

im going to put in the rear shocks take a measurement, then shoot at the front height. if its that bad, the second time you do it is always faster anyhow. i will try to get pics up as soon as i can get it alligned and its sunny out.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Silver
Rep:10
Ram1500 BigHorn 4x4 is on a distinguished road

I am looking at the Bilstein 5100 kit on downsouthmotorsports.com
It includes 2 front 5100 that are adjustable and 2 rear 5100 stock replacements to compliment. The price is only $360 w/ free shipping. Does anyone know if the rear 5100 help at all to keep the rear of truck from sagging the bed is loaded or when towing minor loads.

Link to kit:
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-83...djustable.html
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: '15 Ram 1500 Longhorn EcoD
Trim Level: CC, 6'4", 3.92, LSD
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:1787
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram1500 BigHorn 4x4 View Post
I am looking at the Bilstein 5100 kit on downsouthmotorsports.com
It includes 2 front 5100 that are adjustable and 2 rear 5100 stock replacements to compliment. The price is only $360 w/ free shipping. Does anyone know if the rear 5100 help at all to keep the rear of truck from sagging the bed is loaded or when towing minor loads.

Link to kit:
http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-83...djustable.html
They are better than your factory....thats for sure.
I have not gone mine in yet so cannot comment on the sag.
Im sure it will still sag on heavy load. Small/minor loads, doubt it.
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Unfortunately, having them in front and rear, i can attest, there is no height difference in the rear, only the front.

as far as payload thats not how shocks (or struts work). they, hence the term "shock absorbers" absorb the initial impact going over bumps. so they solely affect ride condition, or in a performace application can take a higher amount of shock before compressing keeping your cars frame parallel to the road in a sharp turn. the bilstein 5100s are in fact hand compressable, meaning unless you are built like my wife you can compress them by hand.

payload is affected by your progressive rate coils. so if you want to affect the rear sag loaded, you can try and find stiffer coils, or get a coil spacer, to hike up uranus.

the bilsteins are a performance/off road application, not really a payload or towing enchancing application.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreese View Post
Unfortunately, having them in front and rear, i can attest, there is no height difference in the rear, only the front.

as far as payload thats not how shocks (or struts work). they, hence the term "shock absorbers" absorb the initial impact going over bumps. so they solely affect ride condition, or in a performace application can take a higher amount of shock before compressing keeping your cars frame parallel to the road in a sharp turn. the bilstein 5100s are in fact hand compressable, meaning unless you are built like my wife you can compress them by hand.

payload is affected by your progressive rate coils. so if you want to affect the rear sag loaded, you can try and find stiffer coils, or get a coil spacer, to hike up uranus.

the bilsteins are a performance/off road application, not really a payload or towing enchancing application.
I couldn't have explained this any better.
I even learned from this
Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

The shops I talked to recommend them but after I found out they only work on 4x4's I went with the daystar and I went with daystar which gave me a great level on my 2wd. I wanted a 4x4 but the used prices on them were too high for something I wouldn't really use much but there are soo many better lifts and level kits. I figure I will just do some bilstein hd shocks and struts later. I have to say if I had the 4wd I would have used them I have always had adj coildovers on my cars more for lowering but being able to adj to the height you want it what makes them great.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Sport quad cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:360
starquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nicestarquestbd22 is just really nice

itsreece....thanks for the awesome explanation. I hadn't thought about it that way but that makes perfect sense.
06-08 chrome clads w/33" Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus, Mopar tailgate spoiler, debadged door trim & tailgate emblems, 13" antenna, LED dome & maps, Magnaflow 22" SI/DO, 18% tint, "HEMI" hood spears, VHT tinted tails & third brake light, Lamin-x optic blue fogs, leveled w/McGaughys 2" drop shackles.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
The shops I talked to recommend them but after I found out they only work on 4x4's I went with the daystar and I went with daystar which gave me a great level on my 2wd. I wanted a 4x4 but the used prices on them were too high for something I wouldn't really use much but there are soo many better lifts and level kits. I figure I will just do some bilstein hd shocks and struts later. I have to say if I had the 4wd I would have used them I have always had adj coildovers on my cars more for lowering but being able to adj to the height you want it what makes them great.
RyanJM, got pics of your level?