DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough
Default Lowered 4x4s, who's the lowest??

Like the title says, who's the lowest 4x4 that actually can use their 4wd in say snow or something

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I'm at 2/4, but there's a guy down in Lethbridge (2hrs south of me) that's running 4/6 with custom half-shafts.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:59 AM

SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

ooo

Is it a 3rd gen or 4th gen? Im thinking about going back to the drop route. Found out Im going to have to be driving my grandma around and she cant get in at stock height let alone lifted.

Figure a nice drop would help her even more and dont think I wanna pull the trigger on bags without going to a full 4 link rear notched etc. That gets very very expensive ina hurry

1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 06-21-2012, 01:22 AM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

His is a 3rd gen. There are currently no kits or even parts out there for lower than a 2/4 with the 4th gen trucks, let alone 4WDs. The 4-link is actually the least of your worries since the rear is dead simple to get lowered. Axle flip, a block, springs, and new shocks and you're closer to mother earth, and if you go with airbags over springs it's adjustable. The issue is the front end. You can get 2" with springs, but unless there's someone making drop spindles that I'm not aware of you will be hard pressed to get it lower. You'll also have issues with the front half-shafts as the greater deflection angle will absolutely destroy any CV joint unless you're running high angle joints on a custom shaft and then you're looking at major money to make it all work. The cost for me to get another 2-3 inches on my 3rd gen is about $3K for my 4wd.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:27 AM

The front half shafts and CVs Im not worried about at all. My goof friends dad is a porsche race car fabricator and will build me a set for the front for beer and pizza.

Im thinking bag the rear, then get 2" springs in the front and cut an extra coil or two off.

There is no one making drop spindles/knuckles for 4th gens that i know either. Ive seen a bunch of pictures of the lowered 4x4 4th gens and the front just quite isnt low enough for me.

If love a 3/6, and i cant imagine 3" in the front puts the CVs at any more terrible of an angle than say Candy08s 9" lift and hes just running high angle CVs.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 AM

also what are you talking about as far as block in the rear? Unless your talking 3rd gen too.

Some of the youtube videos Ive seen bagging the rear of 4th gens dont seem so hard

Old 06-21-2012, 11:29 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Yeah, the blocks are for the leafspring rear ends, as is the axle swap; just used to talking about the 3rd gens when it comes to drops. Getting the rear on the 4th gen is a HELL of a lot easier than on the 3rd gens, so you're lucky in that respect.

If I pay for the beer and pizza think your friend could make 2 sets? I'm pretty sure the 3rd and 4th gens have similar half-shafts, but I'd like to know for sure. I wonder how different the spindles are between the 3rd and 4th gens, because i know a guy or two that are really good fabricators...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 AM

Vehicle: 2006 dodge ram 1500 big horn
Trim Level: SLT big horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:45
Bennett15 is on a distinguished road

I also have a 2/4 drop on my 4wd and im running 26s id love to do a 4/6 but as Kurtis already stated front drive shafts is whats stopping me if i keep the truck i might pull front drives shafts out and say F**K 4wd and slam the thing lol
5% tint, 35% Windshield, Airaid intake, Super 44 exhaust, DiabloSport inTune, 24" Strada Wheels, Bakflip G2 tonneau, Groundforce 2/4 lowering kit, Bilstein shocks, Roll pan, Upper and Lower Eylids, Cross drilled rotors, LED interior, 12k Headlight/Fog HIDs, Recon Tailights, Kenwood Navi deck
Old 06-22-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Yeah, the blocks are for the leafspring rear ends, as is the axle swap; just used to talking about the 3rd gens when it comes to drops. Getting the rear on the 4th gen is a HELL of a lot easier than on the 3rd gens, so you're lucky in that respect.

If I pay for the beer and pizza think your friend could make 2 sets? I'm pretty sure the 3rd and 4th gens have similar half-shafts, but I'd like to know for sure. I wonder how different the spindles are between the 3rd and 4th gens, because i know a guy or two that are really good fabricators...
When the time comes and he makes me a set Ill talk to him about making another set. He can use my dads truck for mock up as well.

Im gonna start shopping around for a place to 4link/bag the rear. Maybe even have the rear end narrowed and run some stupid lip in the rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett15 View Post
I also have a 2/4 drop on my 4wd and im running 26s id love to do a 4/6 but as Kurtis already stated front drive shafts is whats stopping me if i keep the truck i might pull front drives shafts out and say F**K 4wd and slam the thing lol
I wanted to run 26s for the longest time, but I think Ive decided to run 24s just because of the price difference for tires lol

Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:30
skubydobdo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
ooo

Is it a 3rd gen or 4th gen? Im thinking about going back to the drop route. Found out Im going to have to be driving my grandma around and she cant get in at stock height let alone lifted.

Figure a nice drop would help her even more and dont think I wanna pull the trigger on bags without going to a full 4 link rear notched etc. That gets very very expensive ina hurry
This is the best argument for a drop that I have ever heard